2 Boats Catch Fire On Harbour

Flightmanager

Tuesday January 1, 05:55 AM

Two boats up in flames on Sydney Harbour

A teenage girl has been treated by paramedics after fire engulfed two boats moored at a Sydney Harbour marina, the NSW Fire Brigade says.

The brigade's firefighting boat Marina I was called to the blazing boats at Pulpit Marina, near Hunters Hill, when they caught fire shortly after midnight.

Superintendent Tom Cooper said numerous triple zero calls were made to alert authorities, and Marina I was on the scene within minutes of the 12.38am call.

"Marine I was off Goat Island doing routine New Year's Eve patrols," Supt Cooper said.

"The motorboats were both tied up next to each other at the marina and well on fire when it got there.

"It took them seven minutes to arrive and ten minutes to extinguish the fires with two lines of hoses.

"Both boats were severely damaged."

Supt Cooper said firefighters tended to a 13-year-old girl suffering smoke inhalation before ambulance officers arrived at the wharf.

But he said no-one had been aboard either of the burnt vessels and no-one was badly injured.

The quick response by the newly commissioned Marina I had prevented a serious environmental accident, Supt Cooper said.

"It was a significant save. Both boats were prevented from sinking and they managed to limit damage to the marina," he said.

"It could have been a serious hazardous materials incident."

Ross