Repower - Yamaha F100 4 Stroke

billydbep

Hi raiders, after much agonizing and procrastinating (and a lot of convincing/begging the wife) i have repowered my beloved kevlacat. I was tossing up between an etech evinrude and the yamaha and finally decided on the yammy mainly for reliability, resale and robustness.

Took it out for the first time and WOW is what comes to mind, i have never owned a 4 stroke and have heard both good and bad about them but so far all i have is praise for them, low fuel costs, no smell, easy starting and NO NOISE. I was at the ramp and someone asked if i was going to start my motor, not knowing it was already running!.....really pleased. Thought i would share the before and after with you all.

post-4671-1200433969_thumb.jpg

post-4671-1200434116_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevlacat

Hi raiders, after much agonizing and procrastinating (and a lot of convincing/begging the wife) i have repowered my beloved kevlacat. I was tossing up between an etech evinrude and the yamaha and finally decided on the yammy mainly for reliability, resale and robustness.

Took it out for the first time and WOW is what comes to mind, i have never owned a 4 stroke and have heard both good and bad about them but so far all i have is praise for them, low fuel costs, no smell, easy starting and NO NOISE. I was at the ramp and someone asked if i was going to start my motor, not knowing it was already running!.....really pleased. Thought i would share the before and after with you all.

Can I ask how much the 4 stroke yamaha costs?

Also whats the fuel consumption difference compared to a similar output 2 stroke?

Jeff

i shopped around and managed to get this one for 12500, i was quoted 14500 to begin with. It pays to shop around.

Im not sure on exact consumption details but in comparison, i would troll a morning offshore in reasonable conditions with the old 70 2 stroke and it would cost me about $50-$70, in the new 100 it probably used 20-30 dollars.

kevlacat

I am fast approaching 700hrs on mine and has been the best motor I have owned. ( F100AET )

Motor saved our necks in some big swell a few weeks back.

I see you have the binnacle control as well - did it cost extra?

If you flush and have scheduled services will last you a long time.

enjoy it

cheers

inhlanzi

Edited by inhlanzi

Hey kevlacat....

i expect you will get years of untroubled usage out of the yammie good choice...

one tip i would like to tell you is i have twin 115 yammies and were the tell tale exit's out the motor

on mine i ended up pulling the tubing through the hole and with a cable tie i nipped the tube forming

a u shape then put the plastic reducer back on the end this then shoots the tell tale vertical or at what ever

angle you like this allows me to hear and see at a glance if the engine is running by the increased noise

of the tell tale when hitting the water but more importantly in my case it allows me to trim my motors at the

ramp up as high as possible at the same time allowing me to physically see that im still pumping water

through the motor and is most helpfull at the ramp especially when it becomes an issue when not having

much water under your props when putting the boat back on the trailer ...

Cheers Warnie..