Vanuatu Trip

Rabs

Hello fellow raiders,

Just a quick report - spent last week in Vanuatu fishing out of Havannah harbour on the northern side of the main island. Great location, fishing and people. The water temp was a bath like 27.8C as this blue marlin time. I thoroughly recommend it.

We had 2 teams/2 boats - Shogun and V-Factor/4 anglers each boat.

I fished off V-factor and the summary of our catch in the 4 days was :

Blue marlin - tag/release 300lb/50lb - live baiting

Lost another big blue approx 450lb/50lb - lure

Sailfish - T/R

Short billed Spearfish

3 Wahoo

3 Big Mahi Mahi

numerous small YFT and some very large skipjack(striped tuna) 2 went 11.5kg and the other 9.5kg.

The most unusual catch came when we were jigging for dogtooth tuna near Momument Rock in 120m of water. The jig got hammered and all thought it was a massive doggie. The first run almost spooled the reel of 80lb braid - the run stopped with 6 turns of line left. After a great deal of effort we had colour and then a huge bronze whaler - still very green - appeared. This was one very healthy whaler. The girth was massive -easily 150kg plus. I have video which I hope to post and link to this report. The skipper and deckie have never seen such a large fish caught on spin/jig gear. In the end nobody was brave enough to put a gaff near this bad tempered bugger and the deckie thankfully pulled the jig hook.

Here are some photo's of the fish we caught. Enjoy.

Cheers

Rabs.

post-4948-1200541192_thumb.jpg

post-4948-1200541257_thumb.jpg

post-4948-1200541342_thumb.jpg

post-4948-1200541389_thumb.jpg

post-4948-1200541436_thumb.jpg

post-4948-1200541500_thumb.jpg

Hi Rabs

That looks like a fantastic trip mate, some nice dollies and wahoo. I dont blam you or the scipper i would not want to rumble with a whaler must have been a good fight :1prop: , good effert on the blue as well.

Clifford

Edited by no-regrets