Changing Trailer Wheel Size.

nixmel

I'm looking to change my trailer wheels to a larger size, i have 8 inch wheels on at the moment and was looking at going to 13-14 inch. Has anyone have any tips on doing this, is there anything to modified or problems to look out for.

My boat is 15 foot and is on a single axel trailer.

Cheers

I'm looking to change my trailer wheels to a larger size, i have 8 inch wheels on at the moment and was looking at going to 13-14 inch. Has anyone have any tips on doing this, is there anything to modified or problems to look out for.

My boat is 15 foot and is on a single axel trailer.

Cheers

You will probably have to change the mudguards - plus make sure your boat clears them.

Not knowing what size/wheel stud pattern you have.

you may find a wheel to fit that hub

you may have to change hubs to suit your new stud pattern/wheel pattern

if it is a big change you might have to change the axle as it might not be able to take the new hubs

also the tyre diameter you will need to check for rubbing on Guards if any

also you may need to check the wheel offset.Most Wheels where they bolt on is a certain distance in from either the inner edge or the outer edge if the wheel.Why i say this is you may find a pattern that matches but then rubs on the trailer frame or guard.

hope this has helped

Do be Scared just do your research

cheers

johnno

Cheers Jonno i will look into it, the wheels i have are five stud not sure if they are ford or holden.

If 5 stud, most likley HT holden pattern. If you have the plastic white or silver guards they are available in 10", 13" & 14" and your support spacing on the spring hangers will need to be at differnt spacing to accomodate. Also check offset as Johnno has suggested. As long as your GVM is not over 1000kgs you can get 13" 165 low profile tyres which will not have a huge increase in rolling diameter and may squeeze under current guards.

Biggest issue after changing trailer wheel size is the extra height of trailer means you have to go further down a ramp to launch. Some tyres are getting expensive to get with a high load rating (not an issue in a tinny but is in mid size boats single axel loaded with holiday weight) in the smaller 13" sizes but there is lower profile higher load in 14" cheaper

Pitch circle diameter is the tech way to work out what stud pattern you have. Basically if you were draw a circle through the center of your studs the diameter would be as mentioned below.

General modern common ones are

Very old holdens were sometimes just on 100mm and 4 stud I think

Holden has a PCD of 108mm and 5 X 7/16" UNF studs ( a lot of 9" and 10 inch are this pattern)

Ford has a PCD of 114mm and 5 X 1/2 inch UNF studs ( both in 13" and 14" rim size)

An easy way is to just check a wheel nut off your car if you have a ford or holden.

Edited by pelican

Biggest issue after changing trailer wheel size is the extra height of trailer means you have to go further down a ramp to launch. Some tyres are getting expensive to get with a high load rating (not an issue in a tinny but is in mid size boats single axel loaded with holiday weight) in the smaller 13" sizes but there is lower profile higher load in 14" cheaper

Pitch circle diameter is the tech way to work out what stud pattern you have. Basically if you were draw a circle through the center of your studs the diameter would be as mentioned below.

General modern common ones are

Very old holdens were sometimes just on 100mm and 4 stud I think

Holden has a PCD of 108mm and 5 X 7/16" UNF studs ( a lot of 9" and 10 inch are this pattern)

Ford has a PCD of 114mm and 5 X 1/2 inch UNF studs ( both in 13" and 14" rim size)

An easy way is to just check a wheel nut off your car if you have a ford or holden.

I'm thinking it may be better and easier to leave them the way they are ( good piont about having to further down the ramp) Know a good place in Sydney to buy new tyres and a spare wheel for 8 inch trailer wheels? :biggrin2:

Hi Nixmel, anything is possible to do and you could change your running gear to suit 13 or 14 inch wheels but the cost especially if you are not going to do yourself will become the problem. I think it would not be worth it unless the trailer frame is like new.

To give you an idea a new braked trailer with good size wheels will cost you only $2,150 and proably the way I would proceed.

Best of luck if you choose to refit your old trailer,

Huey.

Yeah and you'll have to get your sounder reset as it will measure the height differently. H ah a

New Cd for the stereo - "big wheels are a turning"

And you'll have to get some specially made low speed brakes as your wheel won't be turning as fast - any apprentice can order and fit them..

On a positive note a lot of people on shallow ramps who didn't tow far changed down to the little wheels so it may have the correct guards and offset already. Grab a mates spare and put it on to see what it looks like and then you know what your up for.

Edited by pelican

I'm thinking it may be better and easier to leave them the way they are ( good piont about having to further down the ramp)

hi,i have 13s on my trailer and i have no trouble at the ramp,in fact i find it easier to see when to stop as i never submerge my axle and bearings.the boat [5m] slides off with no worries.if your using 8s or tens they are much more likely to get wet.of course,some people will just submerge the whole trailer and think nothing of it,i always cringe when i see that.[i'm refering to people with smaller boats here, those with bigger, heavy boats have little choice]. combine that with the fact that the bearings in a smaller wheel have to work harder[as mentioned by angler07] and you have potential problems.9 times out of 10 when i see a trailer broken down at the side of the highway,it'll have smaller wheels.of course the simple solution to this is to repack your bearings more often,but it's a messy job and and if you keep the bearings out of the saltwater,you'll only have to do it a 1/3 as often.bearing buddies and like are a big helpbut over time,are no garuantee..just my 2 cents worth :biggrin2:

Edited by hooked4life