These Clips

Hi guys,

These outrigger clips were in a box of mixed tackle I picked up recently at Rozelle market. Anyone know about them or ever used them? I'd like to know a bit more about them. Someone told me they were designed and manufatured by someone from SGFC.

BTW, there was a guy there a coupla weeks ago, I think he was a regular, with an Inter 80W for sale; he was asking about $650 for it. If you're looking for him, he was round the back, was, how do I put this without offending someone, kind of Mediterranean. Nice bloke. I don't know if that's a good price but he seemed keen to sell.

Cheeers,

Yock

post-1311-1200576023_thumb.jpg

Hi Yock

You have me puzzled as to how the outrigger clip work's..???????

maybe in hand it's more obvious but from the pic i am scratching my head

are you able you enlighten me further has to how it function's.....

Got to love those markets especially up north were i have seen

alvey winches quite often go for a pittance in comparison to there real value..

Cheers Warnie....

they do look uhh interesting.

my guess would be the small metal clip down the bottom is where you put the line through and springs out under tension and the nob between it sets the tension?

then i would assume you would put the outrigger line through the hole at the top but then whats the round thing for!?!

Well they work something like this: the clip is attached to the lanyard through the hole at A. The disc with the pointed bit is a cam. You can just make out the flattened surface of it in the top clip. This cam is tensioned via the gnurled knob. I guess there's a spring-loaded ball type arrangement inside the shaft. It presses onto the face of the cam when the cam is in closed position eg the lower clip.

You let your lure or bait out the desired distance, then wind your line 2 or 3 times around the pointed bit off the cam and the loop at the other end. The clip is now loaded and goes out on the lanyard.

When Mrs Stickface grabs the bait, the cam springs open (top clip) and the loops of line fall from the bottom end of the clip. I was told that they were popular with people using baits. Not sure why.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who's used them.

Cheers

Yock

post-1311-1200620049_thumb.jpg

thanks for clearing it up.

with livebaiting, skipbaiting etc i used blacks clips on my riggers

little less complicated :P

post-268-1200622041_thumb.jpg

these clips along with the ones you have shown are popular with baiters because it gives you a drop back system.

obviously you want the fish to get the bait down instead of a strike on a lure being pretty much straight pressure (hence why we use tag lines). you want them to swim up take your bait and feel no restriction. otherwise they will spit it back out if its not right.

you can also take off the reel how much line you want to give the fish to get it down. then set it in the clip so its tight. clip opens and you have that dropback of line for it take before its direct with the reel whether its in strike or freespool.

its not uncommon to run these clips flat on the transom for y our flat lines using the clip to run a drop back system for y our live baits/skipbaits on your corners.

they take the bait. the clip opens up, the reels in freespool count away and up the drag and let the circle find its mark. fish on!

p.s. warnie did you bring the weather back from swr with you??? :(

Col

Edited by djmac

The clips are known as a "Southam" clip. They were designed and built by William Southam (who was also famous for his split cane rods and other rod building skills), and he was indeed a member of SydneyGFC. They date back at least to the 1960's, and quite likely earlier.

The description of how they work is pretty much correct. Amazingly, they still work very well and can be set very precisely. The "snap" as they release is very distinctive (and generally not the sound of the line breaking).

Warnesy - I have a set which we still use at times (for secret reasons!!), and would be happy to show you the method.

In one of the old gamefishing books there are pictures of how one of the guys, who was a little hard of hearing (and I think also had a noisy boat) retro fitted an adaptor which held an explosive percussion cap to the system. When the fish struck you had a "BANG" that the guys from mythbusters would be proud of!

Cheers,

Bob.

In one of the old gamefishing books there are pictures of how one of the guys, who was a little hard of hearing (and I think also had a noisy boat) retro fitted an adaptor which held an explosive percussion cap to the system. When the fish struck you had a "BANG" that the guys from mythbusters would be proud of!

Cheers,

Bob.

Yock......

quite an interesting concept but got agree with useing something a little less complicated

But i do like the sound of of the percussion cap idea mentioned by bob....not for the fact of it going bang

when being struck by a fish

but more like the thought of that i could scare the bejesus out of anyone onboard who so happens to sneak a snooze

whilst i'm not looking..

yes bob..... would be real interested in haveing a look at your secret stash goodness knows

what else that will uncover that's long been forgotten about...

And col.... now that you mentioned it i've just noticed it's raining sorry...... but after seeing this for the last 3 weeks

i guess i was conditioned to it...i will put my hand up and take the blame for it i don't wish to be selfish and thought you might all

like to see what you have been missing out on..........lol....

Cheers Warnie....

Bob,

cheers for that bit of history. certainly is very interesting!

i love the idea of the percussion cap too, as you always have those spells where people are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

haha that is so thoughtful of you warnie :)

did you guys get anything at all up there?

we usually head up around the same time. but chose not to go up this time. think im glad we gave it a miss.

you must have been ready to strangle someone up there.

i hope this weather clears up before the lake mac tournie...

Edited by djmac

did you guys get anything at all up there?

we usually head up around the same time. but chose not to go up this time. think im glad we gave it a miss.

you must have been ready to strangle someone up there.

i hope this weather clears up before the lake mac tournie...

Hey Col

Am only speculating here but you know how they talk about the black death in heavy run off out the rivers

with a fish kill...

Well it was far short of that.... but blatantly obviuos that the delicate balance of the ocean had been affected

which resulted in virtually everything vacating the area for greener pastures....

But this was no more evident to me more so when i got home and really cleaned and scrubbed the boat down....

when trying to remove the brown coating were the hull has been in contact with the water to my amazement

even with truck wash and scrubbing jet blasting etc...i could not budge it

upon closer inspection it looks as if the water from up there as acid etched the two pack paint on the hull...

i have had to resort to using a cutting compound with a orbital buffer to make any impression on

the paintwork and it's going to take a bit of elbow grease to bring her back to normal..

Have you col or anyone else come across it before??????

and i'm not talking about the usual diesel and oil residue you get whilst moored in harbour....

would appreciate any thought's......

Cheers Warnie....

warnie that doesnt sound good mate...

so its basically stained the hull??

i wonder what would/could cause that? you would think it would have to be a pretty major chemical imbalance to do such a thing. wonder if something had got pumped into or flooded into the river or something?

ive never heard anything like that before mate.

let us know how you go with it hey. i hope it comes off eventually!

did it stain the legs or prop also?

warnie that doesnt sound good mate...

so its basically stained the hull??

i wonder what would/could cause that? you would think it would have to be a pretty major chemical imbalance to do such a thing. wonder if something had got pumped into or flooded into the river or something?

ive never heard anything like that before mate.

let us know how you go with it hey. i hope it comes off eventually!

did it stain the legs or prop also?

Hi Col

it seems i was not alone with the staining and the sensus of conjecture was it is the same

thing that causes tannin (think that's what is called) stain to the creeks after rain

anyways 75% removed not much more to go........ with metho for some reason the

thing that removes it the best no sign of it on the motors or prop which is good for....

just as well for i am gearing up for the upcoming tournies...and will be haveing a fish busy feb and march

bar weather

Cheers Warnie...

Back again. Actually warnie, I've had a little play with them and they're deadset easy to set up. An excellent design really. Was gonna sell them but might hang on to them for a bit and use them instead of rubber bands.

Rooster, if you're talking to Miss Southam again, I'd be interested to know when they were being made.

Cheers,

Yock