Old Man And A Jew

inhlanzi

:1prop: Fantastic fish. I bet the old man is still grinning.

..can you at least tell us wheather the old boy goes to Church , how many times a day ........and which one.

That would be a good start.

Thanks mate. :biggrin2:

Stumpy

Won't do you no good mate, you'll burst into flames as soon as you walk into the joint!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:1worthy::1worthy::1worthy::1worthy:

If I lined up my entire catch for the month nose-to-tail, they STILL wouldn't measure 150+cm, and you did it in one fish! :1yikes::biggrin2:

Congrats on a spectacular fish. Those two photos really put that behemoth into perspective! Brilliant!

Hodgey

Now, I have read a few posts where the Raiders have gently prodded for a "general" location of the capture, and I must admit, any tip on this beast and its capture would be wonderful.

Stumpy - there were a couple of tips in the post, you just gotta look hard to find them! :1prop:

Fish was caught 'just after dawn' on 19th January so we know:

- Fish was caught three days before a full moon

- Fish was caught during (relatively) poor weather that had persisted for several days

- Fish was caught on or close to the major high tide (6am high of 1.71 metres that day)

If you can find historic barometer and temperature data then that would give some interesting and important info too.

In many respects details about exactly where the fish was caught are of minor importance compared to the tactical lessons that can be learned from the prevailing conditions at the time of capture.

Edited by Mondo

Stumpy - there were a couple of tips in the post, you just gotta look hard to find them! :1prop: ....In many respects details about exactly where the fish was caught are of minor importance compared to the tactical lessons that can be learned from the prevailing conditions at the time of capture.

Nigel good reading and top advice mate :thumbup:

Your truant Stumpy will be in the running for fish of the month in no time :thumbup: Perhaps that famous side on shot puffing a durry may well result in catching a viewer this time :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

In many respects details about exactly where the fish was caught are of minor importance compared to the tactical lessons that can be learned from the prevailing conditions at the time of capture.

Mondo,

As usual, your perception and technical brilliance has stepped up once again! I will research the time of capture, coupled with the moons phase-along with the rain, duration of rain, rising of the tide, er......and that barometer thingy......

Flamin Hell Mondo, all I want to know is what Church he goes to! :tease:

(Seems so much easier)

Cheers,

Stumpy :biggrin2:

Fish was caught 'just after dawn' on 19th January so we know:

- Fish was caught three days before a full moon

- Fish was caught during (relatively) poor weather that had persisted for several days

- Fish was caught on or close to the major high tide (6am high of 1.71 metres that day)

If you can find historic barometer and temperature data then that would give some interesting and important info too.

try here:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW2124.latest.shtml

That's awesome David - thanks!

Some observations that might be relevant:

- fish caught on the third day of really mild temperatures following a southerly change.

- Thursday saw a mild southerly come through and it was still blowing Friday, but it appears to have died off and turned to the NE on the night/,morning of the fish capture.

- barometer wasn't particularly high or low (1016) - but it definitely started dropping on the night/morning that the fish was caught.

- Saturday was a day of heavy rain compared to the days around it - although presumably that came in after the fish was caught.

So we seem to be building a picture here: a lead-up of two days of mild summer weather with light southerly conditions ending with a low pressure ridge that brought significant rain. The fish seems to have been caught in-between the two events, i.e. just as the southerly conditions died off and just before the front (i.e. ridge of low pressure) carrying all the rain came in.

It might just be me but this seems to gel with some of jewgaffers observations from several months ago.

That's awesome David - thanks!

Some observations that might be relevant:

- fish caught on the third day of really mild temperatures following a southerly change.

- Thursday saw a mild southerly come through and it was still blowing Friday, but it appears to have died off and turned to the NE on the night/,morning of the fish capture.

- barometer wasn't particularly high or low (1016) - but it definitely started dropping on the night/morning that the fish was caught.

So we seem to be building a picture here: a lead-up of two days of mild summer weather with light southerly conditions ending ........

It might just be me but this seems to gel with some of jewgaffers observations from several months ago.

Good work David!!

You've got it now Mondo. That's all that matters!

You've worked out ongoing southerly influence and the benefit of a wind change to easterly in the conditions as well as noting a drop in pressure from 1016 milibars (the benchmark for normal conditions for fishing)

Still that fall is typical of barometric pressure dropping overnight anyway. You learn to recognose abnormal (for want of a better word) fluctuations outside the span.

In this case the needle kept falling and the "old man".. AND THE JEW! would have known that and he knew, don't worry about that, that had to be out there "there and then" and not a day late !! and in his rain gear if necessary!.

That jew would not have been a solitary wanderer no way would he be, he would have been part of a hunting pack needing to stock up heavily for the pending extreme low that brought rain wind and storm, which meant a shut down of their food supply!! .... Mind you until the barometric pressure rises again signifying blue skies are coming wow!! - out you go again !!!!

Mondo, you have also recognised for next time what I call "the calm before the storm". A barometer on your boat would have been dropping into a massive low pressure reading on that magic Saturday but it would have only inspired you to keep on on fishing and persevering "there and then".

Nice work mate. An honours degree is on the way Simon.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1: