Two Vessels Capsize @ Southport Seaway

Jigholio

The following is a text message sent from my Sister, who is a fanatical Riviera owner based at Hope Island.

Just heard on the VHF that two big flybridges have capsized just outside the seaway while taking part in the comp. I'm glad we made the decision last week to give it a miss!

I was scheduled to compete in the tournament :1yikes: Thank God we pulled out based on weather predictions!

The next message (edited 'cos FR is a PG show) reads:

We haven't heard if the crew are OK, but we are at the marina now, so I'm sure we will hear the news. Scary stuff! We went out to the seaway this morning and it was crap, I'll keep you posted

No corpse ever won the prize. No one ever choked swallowing their pride. They're just fish FFS!!

Take it easy, PLEASE!!

Jig

Edited by Jigholio

The river bar's a without the scariest part of any fishing trip to the open bluewater,the only time ive ever

been scared out in the open ocean was crossing the narooma bar to come back in after the wind picked

up while we were out at the kink,on that occassion the swells were that scary i thought we were gunna

die,even though we had a 53kg & a 89kg yellowfin on the deck of abtrap,that was the last thing anyone

on board cared about on that day.

But thanks to a very experinced skipper who stayed calm we got in safely,but after that day i learn't that

fishing either boat or rock's,no fish is ever worth risking your life for, it's more sense to go home as there

will alway's come another better day next time.

Hopefully all these crew member's are ok & safe on the gold coast,that's all that matter's as boats can

always be replaced.

cheers

steve

Friend told me there was a article in the local paper about a million dollar cat sinking and another boat rolled in the seaway. Sorry I don't have the link. Glad to hear all persons were OK but that is one big boat to sink but they were lucky with lots of boats about as there was the comp on.

Edit just did a search-to make sure I had it right - hell it was $exeboat not to float haven't they heard of the titanic and bulkheads?- how the hell do you flood both hulls and every compartment on a cat? Somebody has some explaining to do? A 40foot cat that sinks when it gets one motor flooded- that's the whole point of cats having independent hulls , electrics and mechanicals.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/0...lead-story.html

Edited by pelican

Friend told me there was a article in the local paper about a million dollar cat sinking and another boat rolled in the seaway. Sorry I don't have the link. Glad to hear all persons were OK but that is one big boat to sink but they were lucky with lots of boats about as there was the comp on.

Edit just did a search-to make sure I had it right - hell it was $exeboat not to float haven't they heard of the titanic and bulkheads?- how the hell do you flood both hulls and every compartment on a cat? Somebody has some explaining to do? A 40foot cat that sinks when it gets one motor flooded- that's the whole point of cats having independent hulls , electrics and mechanicals.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/0...lead-story.html

That photo in the article is very disturbing. A $2.4m dollar boat sinking like that........ hope its insured!

NOT funny how some of these sea council approved vessels get the go ahead!

forget RTA...we have the MSB...what about a BTA! you know what i mean!..........................................?

..cheers!..stevo!......ahh! red tape got a little wet!...... :wacko: