Set & Forget Boat Berley

slinkymalinky

The last couple of times I've been out I tried a new way to berley up livies that doesn't involve thumping the berley pot.

I bought a couple of cylindrical screw-top plastic containers. After each trip out I mince up any left over bait, chook pellets, bread, a dab of tuna oil, basically any old stuff. I mix in water and mush it up to a wet slop (I do this outside or else I'd end up divorced). Then I put it in the containers and freeze it.

When I'm at the bait spot I just pop the berley brick out of its container into my berley pot and as it melts slowly, it dispenses a fine unbroken stream of berley with no effort.

The screw top containers are air tight so there's no chance of a marriage limiting freezer spill, and they double as a freezer brick in my bait esky before I use them.

I'm sure about a million other people probably do this but I love it (and so does Little Slinky who gets to play with mushed up bait)

Cheers, Tony

Hi.

Stepson down in melbourne Mixes his burley up in bulk.

25ltr drum. Chuck pellets. Tuna oil. Mashed fish frames.

Stirs it all up to a mush. Gets lotsa 2 ltr milk bottles with top bit cut off.

Fills them all with mush. Freezes down Then drops into berley box one at a time to suit. Just cuts out of milk carton and takes empties home.

Pretty good idea I reckon. Freezer blocks, and Berley all in one.

Regards

Macka17

Hi.

Stepson down in melbourne Mixes his burley up in bulk.

25ltr drum. Chuck pellets. Tuna oil. Mashed fish frames.

Stirs it all up to a mush. Gets lotsa 2 ltr milk bottles with top bit cut off.

Fills them all with mush. Freezes down Then drops into berley box one at a time to suit. Just cuts out of milk carton and takes empties home.

Pretty good idea I reckon. Freezer blocks, and Berley all in one.

Regards

Macka17

I knew I wouldn't be the only one but unsealed milk bottles in the freezer, full of berley, sounds like a short cut to a divorce...

• 1 month later...

Gday all, I've been playing with the frozen burly bomb as well. A couple of different things that I've been trying, but have found that crushed wheat that i run through the blender to reduce it's size seems to be the goods. What i do is put the wheat in a bucket, add enough hot water to cover the wheat and let the wheat absorb it. When the mix has cooled down i add a good splash of tuna oil and also a splash of magic sauce that i got from tony @ fishfinder (sauce with LPT or something like that???). Give it a good mix and add more cold water to it, so that its like runny mud. i then put it into what i call my serving bucket with some string looped through the mix, the reason for that is that when i'm at anchor this little fella is down there with the anchor ( these bombs seem to float really well) releasing it's trail of love for all my fishy friends.The first time i tried this, i had the bomb just tied off at the back of the boat, it lasted nearly 2 hours and was giving off a fine mist of burly and i was able to see flashes of silver in the trail after about 1/2 hour.post-2737-1204359453_thumb.jpg

G-day i bought a cleaver to cut up heads & frames run the lot through the mincer nothing wasted, but i dont know how the hell you get away with putting it in the main freezer :ranting2:. Thankfully we have a second fridge that i am allowed to abuse the freezer section of. I dont have a fixed berley bucket on my boat i just use a gyprock bucket & lid. I drilled a heap of 8mm holes in the side of the bucket throw in some chook pellets with your frozen offal & tie off to the boat. I have another gyprock bucket with no holes drilled so when i want to move i just pull in the berley bucket & sit it in it ,no waste no mess. With the money i save on burley & buckets i buy lures that look nice in my tackle box & rarely get used. PS if you need some buckets & live local just send a pm.

i do the same thing but i make them in larger sizes,after a day on the yellowfin we were at my mates place cutting up the fin into bite size portions after the fish is bagged and packed ready for the frige freezer we put all the frames through his mincer and bung the lot into 15 to 20 litre buckets and freeze the lot for later trips ,this one day i left the boat in my driveway with my car still attached so i thought id borrow the missus car it is litterly a 5 minute trip to my mates were the mincer lives, forgot the fishtub so iTHOUGHT I COULD JAM TWO BUCKETS OF TUNA MINCE BEHIND THE SEATS FOR THE 5 MINUTE TRIP

2nd last corner from and SLOOOSH BLOOD AND GUTS EVERYWERE ,I RECKON YOU COULD OF HEARD ME IN JAPAN I WAS GOIN OFF ,PEOPLE WERE LOOKING AT ME AS I WAS SWEARING AT THE CAR

SO A TIP FROM THE PUNISHED

DONT BORROW HER CAR

GO AND GET THE MINCER AND DO IT AT YOUR PLACE

FEBREEZE WORKS WELL IN REMOVING FISHY SMELLS FROM CARS ,after removing the seats(front and back) console, carpet ,underlay, doortrims, drill holes in the floor to drain the blood

PS I AM STILL EATING TOASTED SANDWICHES FOR TEA

cheers arman