Ecogear Sx40

Kirks

hey guys

I am am buying some sx40s for a great price and i was wondering How good they are.

I am going to use them for bream, and I have heard they are good.

I have read an artical in a fishing world mag and they had a chart of lures they used and every time the sx40 came up.

Can anyone back up this point with some pictures or stories.

kirks

SX40's are very good lures on most things that swim :yahoo:

Especially good on Bream and as i have found lately also smaller river bass just go nuts for them.

My only problem with them is they seem to rust on the split rings very quickly. I change my split rings to stainless ones and don't have any problems.

Colours 306 and 302 are my personal favs, infact my previous 302 had caught my largest Bream and Bass :biggrin2: before it was retired

Cheers

BM

Here is a pic of that stonker bream 1.2kilos from the racks on a SX40 (302)

post-2475-1201821941_thumb.jpg

i don't have a pic of the bass but she was 44cm and took the same lure as you see hanging out of Breambos mouth

I personally can't feel the vibrations on sx 40s and have a hard time staying in contact with these small lures ,even on 4 lb braid.

The bib is small and doesnt afford a lot of action IMHO .

Just my thoughts and I do have a fair few of these lures in my tackle box ,but dont use them often.

Cheers Stewy

I personally can't feel the vibrations on sx 40s and have a hard time staying in contact with these small lures ,even on 4 lb braid.

Just my thoughts and I do have a fair few of these lures in my tackle box ,but dont use them often.

Cheers Stewy

hey mate,

i'll trade you my smilin jacks ( including the pink one) for your sx40's :1prop::1prop::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Billy

hey mate,

i'll trade you my smilin jacks ( including the pink one) for your sx40's :1prop::1prop::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Billy

Ok that would be 4 smilin jacks for 1 sx 40 (Done Deal) :biggrin2: I have around 15 or so.

I will make it an even 50 seeing as I feel generous :tease:

Cheers Stewy

Don't chuck 'em Stewy. The trout love 'em.

I troll them and the 48s' at around 3 - 4 knots and they never fail me.

Mind you, they're a bloody expensive trout lure when compared to a 4 dollar 90cm rainbow trout coloured Frenzy. Trout smash these things like there's no tomorrow. :biggrin2:

As for the SX40's, (except the high gloss ones) I wouldn't pay any more than $15 each for them.

• 2 months later...

Don't chuck 'em Stewy. The trout love 'em.

I troll them and the 48s' at around 3 - 4 knots and they never fail me.

Mind you, they're a bloody expensive trout lure when compared to a 4 dollar 90cm rainbow trout coloured Frenzy. Trout smash these things like there's no tomorrow. :biggrin2:

As for the SX40's, (except the high gloss ones) I wouldn't pay any more than $15 each for them.

90cms wow big lure :1yikes: are you fishing for lake trout in big bear lake :risata:

cool man i know you meant 90mm :thumbup:

Cheers

Rizzo

Just a question on the sx40's ...

how do people usually work/retrieve them..

I gave the sx40 it's first run today trying all sorts of retrieves..

No bream interested in about half an hour... (maybe there just weren't any around?)

Turn of the tide saw 3 25 cm choppers smash them in about 15 minutes...

Stewy, first time i've used the sx40, and could defintely feel the vibration... even when i just left it floating against the tide.. really liked the action of these baby's... my favourite so far... :thumbup:

Just a question on the sx40's ...

how do people usually work/retrieve them..

I gave the sx40 it's first run today trying all sorts of retrieves..

No bream interested in about half an hour... (maybe there just weren't any around?)

Turn of the tide saw 3 25 cm choppers smash them in about 15 minutes...

Stewy, first time i've used the sx40, and could defintely feel the vibration... even when i just left it floating against the tide.. really liked the action of these baby's... my favourite so far... :thumbup:

I have been using the tournament colours of late with great success and I am warming to these lures quite quickly :biggrin2: especially any thing with a bit of red or pink in them

Cheers Stewy

I have been using the tournament colours of late with great success and I am warming to these lures quite quickly :biggrin2: especially any thing with a bit of red or pink in them

Cheers Stewy

Any retrieve in particular working best on the bream?

Do you wind them in, then pause and let them move back towards the surface again? then repeat?

The quicker retireves no real pausing seemed to excite the choppers.. but any other type of retrieve... a big donut!

Any retrieve in particular working best on the bream?

Do you wind them in, then pause and let them move back towards the surface again? then repeat?

The quicker retireves no real pausing seemed to excite the choppers.. but any other type of retrieve... a big donut!

I dont know what the others do ?? but we just crank it straight back and as long as the lure is working (diving down and doing its thing) we get plenty of strikes :biggrin2:

I think its not what lure you use ,I think its where you cast it that matters most.

Places that bream like ,bridges ,rock walls and small drop offs and small trees and wharves.

Even the humble old shaded spots work in the heat of the day :tease:

Cheers Stewy.

If you feel confident with a lure you seem to get more fish.

stewy...

If its vibration your looking for in a small bream lure then try megabass baby griffons if you already dont own em. Also the jackall chubby's.

These little suckers vibrate thier ass off on the retrieve

stewy...

If its vibration your looking for in a small bream lure then try megabass baby griffons if you already dont own em. Also the jackall chubby's.

These little suckers vibrate thier ass off on the retrieve

I spew at paying $20 for a chubbie so griffons at around $30 are out of the question

A few guys I know have gone back to attacks and scorpions and are still catching good bream

They are putting a bit a scent on them as well

I spew at paying $20 for a chubbie so griffons at around $30 are out of the question

A few guys I know have gone back to attacks and scorpions and are still catching good bream

They are putting a bit a scent on them as well

Have you seen the new TT Switchblades, Andrew?

Look like a great little lure. Around $12 each. Read an interesting write up on them recently, and they appear to be nailing consistently good bream around Syd.

Hodgey

Edited by Hodgey

Have you seen the new TT Switchblades, Andrew?

Look like a great little lure. Around $12 each. Read an interesting write up on them recently, and they appear to be nailing consistently good bream around Syd.

Hodgey

Yep just waiting for Fishfinder Tony to get some in

Might have to raid Dizzy Borgs or Ben Godfreys tackle box on the weekend for some :1yikes::biggrin2:

Ive heard Paul Kneller who used to have deception lures has some in the pipeline as well

Ive caught a few bream on the ecogear ones but you have to change the hooks after every bream as they are a bit small even caught a couple of leatherjackets on them hooked in the mouth on the rear treble but that might have something to do with the scent(megastrike)I put on them