Cutting A Hole In My Tinnies Front Bench Seat

kingfishercam

I have the whole centre seat set up as storage in the tinney. Almost the whole top of the seat was cut out, the foam removed and a timber base put in. A ply wood lid goes over the top.

The strength the seat gives the boat is still intact the only thing is there is probably an issue with flotation should the boat gets swamped. There is still flotation in the other two seats that I have been told that this an adequate amount.

If you are putting a battery in you will probably find that a battery box (dont just put the battery in without a storage box) is deeper than the seat and will hang out the bottom so make sure there is enough depth under the seat.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I had a 12' punt with a 25Hp on the back. I cut out a section of the back seat for a live bait well. I used to give it a fair punishment both on the water and on the roof of my ute getting to and from the hotspots. Never had a problem. With battery stowage in aluminium there needs to be awareness regarding spillage, corrosion and short circuiting. Does the seat go down to the floor or is it suspended? If suspended you may need support under the seat to prevent bending, sagging or the like from continual pounding whilst in choppy water. Hence I cut the back seat.

Food for thought.