Homemade Down Rigger

harrold101

hey fishraiders

im making my own downrigger and ive got the line...(100lb)

the handline and the clip

but i dont know where to get the weight from any clues?

cheers tight lines

Hi mate,

(i'm one of declans friends brothers), you can use a nice big jig like a 300g daiwa sacrifice stick, they're about $20 and you can always use them for jigging as well as a downrigger weight.

Josh

hey josh

what are they? is it like a weight or something? never heard of it

cheers

Its a metal jig that you would normally use jigging for kingfish on offshore reefs but without the hooks you can just use it as a weight on a downrigger-go into a tackle shop and look for the heaviest jig you can find and use that-it'll help as well in the way it looks like a fish so should grab a kingies eye

Josh

Its a metal jig that you would normally use jigging for kingfish on offshore reefs but without the hooks you can just use it as a weight on a downrigger-go into a tackle shop and look for the heaviest jig you can find and use that-it'll help as well in the way it looks like a fish so should grab a kingies eye

Josh

alright thanks mate....

might see you around with decs or sometihng haha

cheers

i was under the impression weights should be around 10lb???????

mcfusher

i agree, i use a 7lb in the harbour and on ultra big squid it sometimes strays. 300g is definately not enough in my opinion even with the reduced drag through the water.

i agree, i use a 7lb in the harbour and on ultra big squid it sometimes strays. 300g is definately not enough in my opinion even with the reduced drag through the water.

Have never tried it out with a jig but i've seen #%$%^&(* (made fishing dvd's on kingfish+jewfish secrets and has tv show on foxtel) do it many times and successful catch lots of kingfish with those daiwa sacrifice stick.

Have never tried it out with a jig but i've seen #%$%^&(* (made fishing dvd's on kingfish+jewfish secrets and has tv show on foxtel) do it many times and successful catch lots of kingfish with those daiwa sacrifice stick.

good vid that one.

get it and see the technique / rig used.

even better still, use the jig as it's intended. vid even shows you what to look for on your sounder.

the jig works but he uses it more like trawling and not with a clip and handline. He has that straight on his fishing line he just attaches it to his swivel and trawls it on one side while he has a downrigger down on the other side. Its just another way of getting the bait lower, it does work.

Right so will it work for a weight or not?

thanks boys

mate i dont think it would be enough i use a 7lb ball or a 10 lb fish shaped fdown rigger weight ,i much prefer the 10 pound cause it stays under the boat and can be seen on the sounder to know exactly were your trolling ,in my mates hornet he has the small scotty down rigger and it limit is a 3lb ball that works ok too but seems to lift off the bottom as you troll.

at a pinch you might be able to use a window sash,there is a guy in the classifieds that makes deep bottom bashing sinkers might be a cheaper option

cheers arman