Swimming Gar

I am interested to hear different anglers techniques for rigging swimming gar!

There is so many different ways!

i have had success with a couple of methods but i'm looking for a quick, foolproof gar rig that swims straight every time. any little shortcuts sound great to me.

cheers :beersmile:

Edited by frangkie

i have had success with a couple of methods but i'm looking for a quick, foolproof gar rig that swims straight every time. any little shortcuts sound great to me.

As you say many different ways...

but basically to get it to swim and track straight as a rule this involves some sort of weight to get its head down and whether

this is to be achieved via simply chin rigging with a sinker for example or via the many other commercial methods sold

on the market........also the breaking of its backbone will get the gar to do that enticing swimming action

that is so highly sort after....

Cheers Warnie......

this is how i do it ,imake up a rig that looks like this

post-5893-1202385059_thumb.jpg

cut beak off ,flex bait to loosen up backbone ,slide hook down through the gill as far as you can and come out in the centre line of the fish,then push the pin up through the centre of the head or the beak section ,very important to be in the centre line ,using a size 12 rubber band secure the head/beak to the pin,troll like that to make it skip or add a sinker and skirt for a bit off dazzle and to make it swim

post-5893-1202385006_thumb.jpg

once you get the hang off it only takes a few seconds but the gars have to be good quality

cheers arman

woops sorry about that last pic

arman

post-5893-1202384598_thumb.jpg

to get it to swim and track straight ..... involves some sort of weight to get its head down...... simply chin rigging with a sinker .....

also the breaking of its backbone will get the gar to do that enticing swimming action

that is so highly sort after....

Cheers Warnie......

That information absolutely nails it for Frangkie, Warnie !

And breaking a garfish's backbone! What about that one! What a top way to jig up a jew too ay !!

Mr Magoo and Warnie your input into Alex's question on better ways to present garfish is as good as it gets !!

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

cheers mcgoo, looks good, that is wire crimped on the hook is it, how thick is it. Great photos!

can you put a stinger trailing off the first hookor does it compromise the swimming action of thr bait?

thanks to all who gave input to this topic!

cheers alex.

Edited by frangkie

The Pin Rig that magoo has shown works well.

you can use a paper clip as the pin but what he has shown is the skipping gar pin rig.

like warnie has said you need to get it weighted at the head for it to be a swim gar.

what you can do on a pin rig is when you are feeding your tag end back through the crimp you can give it a bit of tail thread a ball sinker onto the tag end then another crimp to lock it in place.

good hooks to use are the SL12s or Owner Long shanks for these rigs.

dont use a stinger hook as it will make the bait spin out of control.

makes a big difference in swimming them to break the backbone and give them a little squeeze so some of the flesh comes away from the bones too.

Col

Edited by djmac

The Pin Rig that magoo has shown works well.

you can use a paper clip as the pin but what he has shown is the skipping gar pin rig.

like warnie has said you need to get it weighted at the head for it to be a swim gar.

what you can do on a pin rig is when you are feeding your tag end back through the crimp you can give it a bit of tail thread a ball sinker onto the tag end then another crimp to lock it in place.

good hooks to use are the SL12s or Owner Long shanks for these rigs.

dont use a stinger hook as it will make the bait spin out of control.

makes a big difference in swimming them to break the backbone and give them a little squeeze so some of the flesh comes away from the bones too.

Col

cheers mate.

if targeting kingfish:

in regards to the stinger i mentioned earlier, would the bait spin even if the stinger was a small but strong treble that was simply tied to the gape of the first hook on about 5" of trace and free hanging. what i mean by that is the treble is not pinned in the fish. if this worked, it would hook up a lot more kings.

I noticed with the one hook rig a few baits got hit behind the hook resulting in a hit but no hook up. This also happened to me up north qld with macs.

cheers mcgoo, looks good, that is wire crimped on the hook is it, how thick is it. Great photos!

can you put a stinger trailing off the first hookor does it compromise the swimming action of thr bait?

thanks to all who gave input to this topic!

cheers alex.

there is a sinker in the skirt in the image i find that it is enough to keep it swiming

that wire is about 80pound single strand dont think it matters ,use what you have and you can use a stinger hook ,it does compromise the action but still works good if chasin kings i use the stinger hook

just loop it over the front hook making sure the hook is centred and a light gauge hook (not to heavy,will deaden action a treble will probably work although i havent tried it)take note of the angle of the loop that ataches to the front hook

post-5893-1202441949_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr magoo

• 1 month later...

We use a two hook rig due to a lot of missed hits just behind the hook on a single rig.

First hook is inserted through the gill as previously stated but the second hook is secured to the side of the gar with a small rubber band.

The wire pin is pushed up through the head and a wire spiral nose cone is screwed down the wire pin.

Then a rubber skirt is slid down over the nose cone. This all holds the gar together really well and can swim for hours nice and straight.

You can buy all of these parts separate or as a pre-rigged unit.

Good Luck!

try this

pop the eyes out,

jam a bean sinker in the gill/eye cavity,

place a length of dental floss through the eyes

wrap it across over the head and down through/behind the gills

then up and forwards across the head so there is an X of thread on its forehead, then crossover under the chin and tie on top of the mouth.

put your hook through the x and bobs your uncle.