Advice On Repairing Hole In Tinnie

waterrat

Hi Guys,

Just seeking some advice on the best method to repair hole in the hull of an old tinnie (size of a large pea just under bung hole). I don't really want to go to the expense of having someone weld it. Someone suggested Sikkaflex or metal knead it. Anyone have any proven methods??

Cheers...Chris

Hi Chris Thanks for the sms update on the Bay the other day mate. We used a little old tinny a good while back and we used roof plumbers facia and guttering silcone on a leak in one of the seams. It lasted for years, you've got to allow a few days for it to cure tho and make sure there is no dampness in the area when you apply it.

Hope you are having a bit of action down there in the Bay. I don't suppose there are too many hoodlums around and a few too many undersize kingies being caught ay?

Regards

Byron

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Can't wait to jump on the seafarer headed for Burraneer one night soon mate.

Hi Guys,

Just seeking some advice on the best method to repair hole in the hull of an old tinnie (size of a large pea just under bung hole). I don't really want to go to the expense of having someone weld it. Someone suggested Sikkaflex or metal knead it. Anyone have any proven methods??

Cheers...Chris

g-day i had a problem with a leak in my small tinnie. i had it welded twice it cracked both times. i then stuck some sikkaflex in & over & have not had a problem since"over six years ago".that said roofing silicone is cheaper & easy enough to clean up & re-apply if necessary.

Sand around the area to be repaired then clean the area with prepsol or

something similar then Sikaflex a 5 cent coin over the hole, or a 10 cent

coin if the hole is bigger, then put some sort of pressure over the repair

till the Sikaflex dries. A coin on both the inside and outside of hole works

best.

Good luck.

penguin

Hi Guys,

Cheers...Chris

try this http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-KneadIt-Aqua/default.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Cheers...Chris

Chris...

are you in the position of been able to hole saw in a bigger bung say 50mm by chance

which will then incorprate the pea size hole in the process of cutting in the bigger hole??????

Cheers Warnie...

Chris...

are you in the position of been able to hole saw in a bigger bung say 50mm by chance

which will then incorprate the pea size hole in the process of cutting in the bigger hole??????

Cheers Warnie...

Hi Warnie,

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately the small hole is right in the middle of a channel which runs under the hull. I don't think this tinnie originally had a bung hole and the guy who used to own it decided to put his own in but botched the job resulting in the hole in the channel. Anyhow I've managed to seal it with a product similar to sikkaflex and it seems to be water tight. Thanks Raiders for all your advice on this topic.

Cheers...waterrat