Which Braid Is The Best

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

like most of you i have been using 4 or 6lb fireline for most of my SP and HB work on liteweight spin reels. i agree fireline is good value, but it seems pretty rough and VERY variable in breaking strains.

I want the best braid for my new outfit and never having tried any other brands was wondering your thoughts

cheers

BM

Hi Bream Mad . I spent a bit of time over Christmas up in Qld with jakjayno1. He was showing me some of his latest braid lines. They have a coating of some sort over them and are as smooth as silk to the feel. Jay is now using them exclusively having switched over from power pro and suffix ( Jay caught that 21.8 gt on a gold bomber and suffix shown in one of my topics from up north.

Jay did say he had experienced problems with fire line occasionally.

I don't know much else about it other than that this type of coated braid has been on the market a while and Jay bought a supply of various sizes on special. I'm sure Jay said they are made in Japan and readily available. Maybe a web search might help.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi BM,

I think fireline is fairly good for lighter line and Fins is also a good braid but i think the best i've experienced is the Daiwa Tournament & Sensor Braid, i think 8lb is the lightest and it goes up to about 80lb, i have i currently have 300m of 40lb on My Daiwa Catalina and its great.

Cheers

Josh

So far I have used fireline 4,6,8 fireline crystal in 2, varivas in 6, TD sensor in 4,6,8,10,20 Unitika 3, sufix 6, finns in 6, stren 2 and 1 other I can't remember.

At this present time on my bream outfits I run 4 outfits with TD sensor in 4, 2 with stren 2lb, 2 with Unitika 3lb and 4 with 2lb crystal.

Casting wise I can't believe how different they do cast!

Best distance casting would be crystal and Unitika.

Best to see would be TD sensor as it's orange.

Best over all. I have used the Unitika for 4 days on the water but so far very impressed. Easy to see, casts a mile, no wind knots at all even on a very full spool and brand new line and never broke a lure off at the knot, it was always on the leader.

The best strength would have been the Varivas but was hard to see the line to detect very light bites with plastics plus it needs extra turns in knots to hold as it's very slippery.

Finns doesn't cast long distance with anything under a 1/8th jighead!

Cheers

Greg

So far I have used fireline 4,6,8 fireline crystal in 2, varivas in 6, TD sensor in 4,6,8,10,20 Unitika 3, sufix 6, finns in 6, stren 2 and 1 other I can't remember.

At this present time on my bream outfits I run 4 outfits with TD sensor in 4, 2 with stren 2lb, 2 with Unitika 3lb and 4 with 2lb crystal.

Casting wise I can't believe how different they do cast!

Best distance casting would be crystal and Unitika.

Best to see would be TD sensor as it's orange.

Best over all. I have used the Unitika for 4 days on the water but so far very impressed. Easy to see, casts a mile, no wind knots at all even on a very full spool and brand new line and never broke a lure off at the knot, it was always on the leader.

The best strength would have been the Varivas but was hard to see the line to detect very light bites with plastics plus it needs extra turns in knots to hold as it's very slippery.

Finns doesn't cast long distance with anything under a 1/8th jighead!

Cheers

Greg

wow that is a serious review thanks for that greg!

i am pretty sure bass hard and TD sensor are identical so i would like to give them a go

interesting you only use crystal fireline, i had a spool of 2lb stuff as used it this morning for outstanding casting distance and overall perfomance, so much better than the normal 4lb fireline which felt very rough.

cheers

kael

Hi Stylo

I don't run normal fireline anymore as the few probs I have had like a spool I could break by hand after just putting it all on during a comp....... 1 rod down :thumbdown:

Wind knots.........

I found fireline and stellas(AR,FA,FB's) don't really match. I got the poops that bad I changed all my reels to exists thinking it was the reels fault. It did improve but a couple of times a day they still popped up. No more fireline for me.

Crystal I have not had 1 wind knot!

Greg