Food While On The Boat

fisherboy

Following the recent cool and wet weather I decided to consider what else we could eat either for a Warm up lunch or a simple dinner. Please note sandwiches were never considered an option. I have nothing against a sanga on a hot day or when a simplefeed is needed but its not dinner when staying overnight.

So this topic is dedicated to serving something different that can be served on a Tinny or Half Cabin without a BBQ mounted on the rear deck.

We have all used the single burner gas cooker that you can purchase just about anyware for less than $20 but with flames, waves I looked for alturnates. We found in Dick Smith a 12 Volt Cooker, looks more like a small lunch box but gets real hot.

Meat Pies

Put them in and plug it in

Rotate them top to bottom if multi layers to ensyre even heating after 15 Mins

Result: After about 40 Mins a very hot Pie a bit like using a microwave

Bacon and Egg Muffins

Muffins, Bacon Egg and Cheese (Like Mackas)

at home, cook egg and bacon and let cool

When cool make the muffins and wrap in Grease proof Paper

Place in the 12v Oven for 30 mins

Result: Brilliant

Hot Cross Buns

Line 12v oven with Grease proof paper and put them in for 20 min.

Result: Brilliant with Butter

Any other thoughts would be appreciated

David (AKA Fisherdad) :beersmile:

• Like 2

Hi fisherboy. This is a very usefull and informative post and it's surprising there are not many more replies .

I think it would be great to have one of those 12 volt cookers you recommend in addition to the under $20 little campers gas cooker unit I have.

I thoroughly agree, a good variety of reheatable food is fabulous to have when fishing over long sessions or overnighters. Hot food makes you feel good.

I think I should add that a flexi tank full of warm water and sunlight soap is excellent for freshening up as it's the salt water air that dehydrates your skin and makes you feel tired and fatigued.

It's amazing how you can fish on for hours and feel refreshed simply by washing yourself every few hours with sunlight soap and warm water.

It makes you keener to chase when the spot you've chosen goes quiet and by starting afresh and moving more often you give yourself a better chance of catching more fish.

Cheers and thank you for this very usefull information

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

PS I have just transferred your cooking methods to my desk top for my next long session.

Edited by jewgaffer

I like taking my thermos for a hot coffee, plus I also like to take noodle bowl's, add hot water wait few minute's, nice hot meal. Agree with gaffer about a freshen up with soap and water, feel like a brand new man after a clean up, I also like to pull up on a quiet beach and have a walk and stretch every now and then.

Some time back a friend bought along packet food in a satchal. Break the seal at the top , add cold water into the outer pack & there is some form of reaction which heats the inner satchal.

When hot , remove the inner satchal open & eat.

It looked very nice.

Not sure where they come from but would try camping , outdoor , hiking places.

Geoff

hi all

i have one of those single burners that takes a can in the little cases

i have cooked in all types of weather and swell and never had a problem

for food we usally have snags eggs bacon onions and rolls

if i want something real nice we take some scotch fillets or marinated chiken kababs

and fryed rice and just heat the rice up after cooking the meat :thumbup: awsome

cheers

miller

Sounds good. That litter cooker sounds the go.

Breakfast Lunch and Dinner can some times consist of cold KFC and cold Pizza. After about the third meal straight you begin to wish you made the effort and had some varity. We have since resorted to marinated chicken wings, or pork spare ribs cold of course. Finally there is the back up cold chinese food left overs from the night before

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

this might sound a bit mad,but on a mates 14ft tinny we take a small cheapo webber(10 bucks at bargain store).just use minimal coals add more as u go.sausage sangas staek sangas even kebabs. we usually do this when we do an over nighter,u can also take the frying pan put on the grill let it heat up and cook urself some bacon and eggs in the morning. .but find a nice calm place on water to use this method

• 1 month later...

this might sound a bit mad,but on a mates 14ft tinny we take a small cheapo webber(10 bucks at bargain store).just use minimal coals add more as u go.sausage sangas staek sangas even kebabs. we usually do this when we do an over nighter,u can also take the frying pan put on the grill let it heat up and cook urself some bacon and eggs in the morning. .but find a nice calm place on water to use this method

Hey Guys we have been useing one of these ovens for years now and they are great, you can put anything in them from pies,bacon and egg rolls to left overs from the night before. Not only do we use ours on the boat we use it for when we are travelling, we premake our bacon and egg rolls or our lunch in foil trays and heat it as we travell. Not only do you get a better and cleaner meal the saving on takeaways or eatins are amazing, well worth there money.

Cheers

Cindy.

• Like 1

While we have microwave / BBQ facilities on our current boat, we did not have that level of convenience on our last boat (26' Savage). But since the [very clean running] 300hp CAT diesel motor sat very flat within a raised engine box, it was easy to access the top of the header tank. I guess it was usually around 90 degrees while we were running, so was ideal for heating food. We just wrapped party pies / sausage rolls / chicken bits / snags etc in luminium foil and had them sitting neatly on the top of the header tank. Was great to always have hot food on a cold day, and it made us very popular with the smaller boats in our club when we came back in with leftovers, and many of them had shared one cold chook amongst 4 hungry fishermen!

I have noticed a trend recently for many of the larger trailer gamefishing boats who drift fish for sharks to have a gas metal plate BBQ on board. The smell of bacon & eggs cooking must sure beat the smell of fish mince and mouldy mullet......

Cheers,

Bob.

I use the camping gas cooker with the small can and a non stick fry pan to cook. I have made a few different meals, i have cooked a big pork roast the night before at home sliced it up and put it into a snaplock container then poored gravy all over it. Then when its time for a feed whipped out the burner to heat up the meat for hot roast pork rolls with gravy for breaky. We do the bacon eggs and snags things as well.

The other reason i use it is becasue i have a centre console with a steel fish box seat in the middle, if its really cold and windy i drop the burner in there and it warms up the outside of the box and we use it as a heater.

Another trick for hot food i have learnt off another wise fisho is putting hot dog frankfurst into a thermos of hot water and taking hotdog buns with sauce and cheese in a little snap lock bag for hot hotdogs.

And lastly depending where your fishing and what the time is, ordering a pizza for delivery at the spit is a great option. You just have to make them fully aware your not full of sh!@

Edited by Kiwi Dan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

hey guys,

good thread. where are you guys getting these $20 pie warmers????? I check Dick smith electronics and the only thing i could find was a cooler / warmer that says it gets 20.c above the ambient temp.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/M4504

That's not hot enough i think.

Can someone give me the good oil please on where to get one like pictured above.

I bought one for 20 odd bucks from Dick Smiths in the Pitt St Mall - this one heats to 150' - couple weeks back so I could heat some food out there. Maybe go to a bigger store.

Having bought one I am a bit wary as the device looks like it could strain the batteries. Has anyone had any issues in this regard?

wasn't this same thread running a month or so ago?

5 months ago

I bought one for 20 odd bucks from Dick Smiths in the Pitt St Mall - this one heats to 150' - couple weeks back so I could heat some food out there. Maybe go to a bigger store.

Having bought one I am a bit wary as the device looks like it could strain the batteries. Has anyone had any issues in this regard?

Yep Andy looking at the fuse and wire i think they will use plenty of power. I haven’t used ours on the boat yet but have in the car. They do not need that long to cook sausage rolls or pies so providing you have dual batteries and use it whist running out to your spot I shouldn’t imagine a problem. Especially on that great boat of yours, I gather it would have duals and the Verado’s have excellent charging capacity?

5 months ago

I just found it mate, it actualy wasn't that long ago. It was started on the 10th june and the last post was on the 8th july, and you actualy posted in it on the 17th june, some bloody good ideas in there too. Not sure if there was another one running 5 months ago that you're thinking of but that was the one i was refering to. I love the hotdogs in the thermos idea, so easy and yet still a good feed.

Edited by hookenup

I just found it mate, it actualy wasn't that long ago. It was started on the 10th june and the last post was on the 8th july, and you actualy posted in it on the 17th june, some bloody good ideas in there too. Not sure if there was another one running 5 months ago that you're thinking of but that was the one i was refering to. I love the hotdogs in the thermos idea, so easy and yet still a good feed.

Are you talking about this one? Fisherboy started this on Feb 7th

• 2 months later...
  • 11 years later...

Just found this thread. I have been toying with the idea of hard wiring one of these bad boys into the Crossfire:

http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-marine-oven/ thoughts anyone?

I have one of those butane burner stoves, yet to try it out.

I had forgotten about the old frankfurter in thermos trick, Thanks Kiwi Dan, I will be adding that one to my sea faring munchies list.

1 hour ago, AdamA said:

Just found this thread. I have been toying with the idea of hard wiring one of these bad boys into the Crossfire:

http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-marine-oven/ thoughts anyone?

I have one of those butane burner stoves, yet to try it out.

I had forgotten about the old frankfurter in thermos trick, Thanks Kiwi Dan, I will be adding that one to my sea faring munchies list.

They can go in anywhere you have room for them.

The problem I have with the buddy's is that the door is not insulated & the door has no latch so if its bouncing around the door could open. 

Im getting one for my 4x4 soon but wat looking at the Road chef after looking at this youtube-

I have been discussing this on a dedicated 4x4 forum im on.

I know its important to support an Aussie company over a Chinese company even though the Aussie build would still be getting parts from China & elsewhere but they have to match or better the competitors product!

I actually emailed the Travel buddy company & asked them why their door isnt insulated & their is no latch & the responce was this is how we built it & we arent changing it.

So much for the idea of improving a product & keep up with your competitor 🤔

You can buy a after market door insulation panel from a aussie guy who does trays & parts but again its more money.