Snowy Mountains Camping/fishing

Jamiel1000

One of the best spots I found was near a weir on the Numerella River just near cooma.

There are platties and a few turtles there as well.

Been going there for years and good my first trout on fly (71cm Rainbow).

The fish are very stream line not like Lyell or TCD fish.

Cheers

Roffo

One of the best spots I found was near a weir on the Numerella River just near cooma.

There are platties and a few turtles there as well.

Been going there for years and good my first trout on fly (71cm Rainbow).

The fish are very stream line not like Lyell or TCD fish.

Cheers

Roffo

whats the camping like

is ther much water to fish

cheers Roffo

Unfortunately the Numeralla is a shadow of its one proud self, sand mining has killed it. All though it may be flowing with all the rain again. Where it joins the 'Bidgee is still pretty good but its all private property.

Depending on your style of fishing there are a few places, there is some great Camping at Three Mile Dam which would give you access to the high country streams and dams. The Eucumbene River is near by too (Kiandra) as well the upper rivers/streams that flow into it. Three Mile Dam itself has been stocked with Brook Trout and if you haven't got one before it's a great chance.

Alternatively you can go to Tom Groggin/Geehi which will give you access to the upper Murray, Swampy Plains River and Geehi/Khancoban/Guthega Dams.

The Monaro area I am not 100% sure about, as being based in Cooma most of my life I never felt the need to camp! But fishing in the Monaro I find to be tough in the warmer months, but it should start picking up, especially if there is water flowing into The Badga, McCloughlin, 'Bidgee and the various creeks (Rock Flat and Cooma Creeks used to be awesome, but lack of water killed them a bit).

Best time of year coming up too, start of the snow season, I love it :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

I second Tom Groggin/Geehi beautiful spots with plenty of options. Unfortunately there popular and the they both get busy over Easter.

There's good camping on the Eucembene up above Providence Portal. There's heaps of river to fish and Tantangara, Three mile dam and the Bidgee aren't far away if you want to explore a bit.

Old Adaminaby, Yens Bay and Seven Gates also provide plenty of opportunity for camping.

There are also several spots along the Thredbo river that may be worth a look.

The area is popular over the Easter break, but you shouldn't have to many problems finding a spot to camp.

Cheers,

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from a few days in the Snowies and I tell you what, its TOUGH! Eucy is fishing well but all the other areas are very very slow (March is actually the toughest month I reckon). Will put a full report up later.

Yes Dear, you still thinking of heading up over Easter? I will be there again :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Just came back from a few days in the Snowies and I tell you what, its TOUGH! Eucy is fishing well but all the other areas are very very slow (March is actually the toughest month I reckon). Will put a full report up later.

Yes Dear, you still thinking of heading up over Easter? I will be there again :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Yes we are heading down on the thursday

Staying at Geehi Camping area near Swampy Plains River

heading home on the following Tuesday

where are you staying at your folk's house no doubt

cheers

Jamie

Yeah mate, I will stay with the parents. I will head up on Friday morning but unfortunately will have to come back Sunday (tournament director duties on the Monday).

Beautiful spot up there at Geehi, should be some top fishing too. I might see if I can head up to that area, was going to spend some time around Tantangara and maybe drive up to Khancoban and have a look at the pondage and perhaps the Swampy Plains River but will see what pans out.

One of the spots we hit on the weekend just gone was Dry Dam up near Cabramurra, amazing little dam chockas with small Browns, Rainbows and Brookies. We got 7 Browns up to about 500g (all released except one which died) on ultra light spinning tackle and a couple on Dry's, loads of fun so if you get the chance have a look at some of the small Dams on the way there, I bet there fishing the same :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Yeah mate, I will stay with the parents. I will head up on Friday morning but unfortunately will have to come back Sunday (tournament director duties on the Monday).

Beautiful spot up there at Geehi, should be some top fishing too. I might see if I can head up to that area, was going to spend some time around Tantangara and maybe drive up to Khancoban and have a look at the pondage and perhaps the Swampy Plains River but will see what pans out.

One of the spots we hit on the weekend just gone was Dry Dam up near Cabramurra, amazing little dam chockas with small Browns, Rainbows and Brookies. We got 7 Browns up to about 500g (all released except one which died) on ultra light spinning tackle and a couple on Dry's, loads of fun so if you get the chance have a look at some of the small Dams on the way there, I bet there fishing the same :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

thanks for the info

I will have plenty of time to cruise around and check out some good spots

thanks for the info anglers