Hairtail Social !

Flightmanager

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day Digger ,

I have added your merry crew , no probs with registering , just call past the Mother Ship ( location will be provided well in advance , ) and you can register on the Friday evening !!

Ross

thank you

Thanks Digger I am looking forward to it. Your 43 foot boat will perfect for the hairtail weekend :thumbup: We'll be able to deal with any accidental hairtail, I'll bring a couple of blow torches to get our hooks back.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

i went there last year, everyone was so lovely (particularly that couple who brought us donuts and cream buns = thanks).

i would definately recommend a house boat. We were on a tiny dingy and I wore like 1000000000 layers of cloths and still to this day I have no feeling on my left family jewel!

have fun guys/gals houseboat rules (I remember seeing all those lovely people on a houseboat last year wearing singlets! LOL

just a report. A mate caught 2 hairtail somewhere around cowan on thurs night 1 of them went 1.4m

Now thats what Im talkin about :yahoo:

We are going to have a ripper time on the Hairtail weekend.

Thanks for the report Dangles :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

np on the report. If i had someone to babysit the young bloke for the weekend id be on one of those houseboats for sure. After freezing all night last year the only way ill do it is on a houseboat/cabin style boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here we go for the Hairtail Fishers .

You will need wire traces around 20 inches long

Ganged hooks in the 3 to 4/0 class by threes or fours ganged

Starlites ,small cylume sticks which glow in the dark when bent slighlty in the centre to mix the chemicals and shaken lightly

Tackle ,Any good thread line ofr overhead config that can handle 3 to 6 kgs if after hairtail and maybe a 10 kg stick if you are after some Jews perhaps .

And last but not least the landing pliers with as long a handles as possible and large serated teeth to grip the heads of the Chrome Beasties .The way to land them is hold the wire trace with the hairtails head on the gunwhale and grab them as hard as you can between the eyes and then with a very firm grip hoist them over the side and into a fish box ,unclipping the gangs till your quarry has died and then the hooks are easier to remove You will need several made up sets of gangs to do this Pic as follows

Burley is any good mix of chook pellets and tuna oil and a few pillies or a can of cat food in the bucket

Bait is pillies or live yakkas or any other small hardy head you may catch .

post-869-1213177060_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

This post was made by swordfisherman 2006 before the same event that year.

Here is a link to one of our articles HOW TO CATCH HAIRTAIL

hey guys sounds like fun me and a mate will attend if possible

Thanks Jack

You are both added :biggrin2:

Plenty of time to add yourselves people :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

The more the merrier :yahoo:

id just like to add tackle wise last year i was fishing with bream gear(good fun) i found i was getting a lot more hook ups after i changed from using gang hooks to a single 4/0 wihn a 3rd of a pilly mabe something to keep inmind

lookn 4ward to it again

mick

You are both added :biggrin2:

Plenty of time to add yourselves people :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

The more the merrier :yahoo:

hey stewy I was just wondering what the deal is with the hairtail social, do we all start on the friday, and should we take fish to the houseboat the next morning?

Jack

hey stewy I was just wondering what the deal is with the hairtail social, do we all start on the friday, and should we take fish to the houseboat the next morning?

Jack

Bring em when you are ready Jack ,we will be at our mooring by 1 pm on Friday arvo and manning that spot for the entire weekend :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Yes Fishing starts on Friday 12 noon and ends 10 am Sunday morning.

Do you guys need anything for the houseboat? food or something?

Jack

Not at this stage ,but will keep you in mind Jack and thanks for the offer :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Bring em when you are ready Jack ,we will be at our mooring by 1 pm on Friday arvo and manning that spot for the entire weekend :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Yes Fishing starts on Friday 12 noon and ends 10 am Sunday morning.

hey Stewy does this mean that if you cant make firday then your not able to fish in the comp or can you sign up late on saturday... ??

cheers Cox Craft

hey Stewy does this mean that if you cant make firday then your not able to fish in the comp or can you sign up late on saturday... ??

cheers Cox Craft

You can sign on anytime before you start fishing. No probs with a late Sat start.

Cheers,

Grant.

You can sign on anytime before you start fishing. No probs with a late Sat start.

Cheers,

Grant.

thanks Grant for that hopefully will beable to get out there and also is there a entry fee..?

first time :1prop:

cheers

Cox Craft

thanks Grant for that hopefully will beable to get out there and also is there a entry fee..?

first time :1prop:

cheers

Cox Craft

Mate it's always a top w/end & well worth the effort. :thumbup:

Best of all entry is FREE!! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

Mate it's always a top w/end & well worth the effort. :thumbup:

Best of all entry is FREE!! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

well thats sounds great and it sounds like it would be an awsome weekend..

i hope to get out there.. :biggrin2:

Cheers Grant

Cox Craft :thumbup:

Just to clarify a few things about this years Hairtail :

1) Its FREE!!! All we ask is that you register before you start fishing.

2) The Mothership will be manned and ready from 1PM ( 1300) on Friday until we finish on Sunday Morning.

3) If you catch a Hairtail in the wee small hours of the morning , stick it in the esky , and show us in the morning ( we need our beauty sleep as well !) .

4) Its going to be cold .:frozen: Very bloody cold :frozen: :frozen: , so please carry sufficient dry warm clothing .

5) The Mothership can be contacted on Ch96 , it will be monitored as long as we are awake .

Please try to get your spot early , the usual haunts fill up pretty quickly , and there will be a lot of boats there.

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys ,been flat out chasing work lately, sadly i will be missing yet another Social, as i wont be in NSW that weekend. Hairtail weekends have been high on the list for the OffTap crew. Cheers and hope all do well and keep it safe. Dave

Hi guys ,been flat out chasing work lately, sadly i will be missing yet another Social, as i wont be in NSW that weekend. Hairtail weekends have been high on the list for the OffTap crew. Cheers and hope all do well and keep it safe. Dave

Sorry Dave won't be the same without you guys.

Take Care and hi to the family

Cheers mrsswordfisherman