Offshore Fly Fishing

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Hey all, looking to get into a bit of saltwater fly fishing and have gone out and bought a nice set up of Shimano Ultega (or whatever) 8 Weight reel and G Loomis Rod which was fairly pricey. But now Iam really intrested about the setup of the backing to fly line to leader to tippet.

Now my main target is Dolphin Fish and a bloke came into Anglers World and told us about "Shooting heads". He said only one whip back was needed and the fly should just be drifted around.

Iam very curious about other techniques of blue water fly fishing and the setup.

Any advice would be much appreciated as Iam a little confused atm. Thankyou in advance.

Never gone out for the dollies myself on fly, but would love to one day. As for any info on saltwater flyfishing, I would recommend you buy or borrow a book by Peter Morse called, Salfwater Flyfishing Fundamentals, it has everything you need to set up your fly gear for all different types of species and styles. I have an Ultegra 8 as well and have caught nice sambos with it, but dollies would be fun. You probably dont need much backing apart from the 100 metres of dacron or whatever you choose to use, just depends if you hook onto a kingy or not. Shooting heads are good, but depends on your casting level, youve bought very good gear with the Ultegra and Loomis. You can also join the Sydney Flyrodders Club, they have a website and meet once a month, plenty of friendly and helpful advice from the members there. I hope Ken donsnt mind me suggesting another Forum site, try Sportsfish as well, lots of flyfishers get on that site and swap ideas. Hope this has helped a little.

Guest Big-Banana

Thanx a lot mate. That helped heaps. His recommended set up was 150 yards of Braid backing, then onto the FLY line of around 90 ft then onto the shooting head. But it was all very confusing. I bought Peter Morses DVD and that was great.

Iam worried about getting massive tangles whilst stripping line.

Did it take you very long to become a competant caster?

Guest bluecod

Big Banana,

Narralakes has taught me and a few others Raiders how to fly cast, it took him about a half hour to teach us the fundamentals and then it is just practise with a bit of help now and again.

Target is also a keen flyrodder and is aiming to have a casting session [not fly] at the SRBC meeting next Wednesday evening at Pennant Hills, I'm hoping to get there as well and would be too happy to show you the [very] rough basics, mind you I'm still a beginner myself. I'd also suggest there may be some very competant flyrodders there who would also be willing to lend a hand where my technical deficiencies fall flat. :1yikes:

If you intend coming along send me a PM and if you haven't got your gear set up yet I'll bring along a rod for you to practise with

Guest Big-Banana

Mate thatd be fantastic. Iam just at Kellyville. Hoping Iam not to busy and am able to come. Ill be in touch mate. Thanx for the offer. :thumbup:

BB

I know I am recomending another chat site, but got to flylife.com.au forums, you will get some good info there. Especially on running lines and shooting heads.

I'm a newbie to saltwater fly myself, and only recently built/bought a 9# fly for kings, dollies when I get invistes on other boats, and sambos in winter, so my advice is a little tainted and probably not the best, but I'll go anyway.

As for backing, a good 30# braid like harros Bionic, dont use thin braid, it appears that fireline is not used much at all. Remember that your fly line breaking strain is about 30# as well.

Use fly line or shooting head??? Shooting heads are just shorter fly lines, usually 30 foot long rather than 90 to 100 ft for a full fly line. A bit cheaper than a full fly line, and yes are used for fast casting, or getting the fly in the water with minimum false casts as all the line weight is in this 30ft section. With a shooting head however you have to use a running line between this and the backing and they are a little harder to cast until you get the hang of it. The running line is what you hold on to when casting - you dont want to hold on to a braid, especially if you hook up and a fish starts to take line - imagine the burns. Running lines are usually flat mono, or a line similar to normal (but thinner) fly line, use about 60 to 100ft of running line with a shooting head, none required for a full fly line. A good wieght forward rocket taper line I am told will cast almost as good and fast as a shooting head though, and reduces the amount of joins in your line.

For the fish you are chashing, probably go with an intermediate weight forward line to start with - at least that was the recomendation given to me. And even go one line weight above the rod.

Joins between lines, used braided mono loops on each end of your fly line (available from tackle stores), and a short double in your backing. Just loop the lines together. Get advice from the tackle shop on how to fit the loops, thats a whole other topic.

Practice practicve practice your casting before hitting the fish.

Good luck on the dollies, hoping to get out myself when I can bludge a lift and the water warms up. I reckon theyd be a reel hoot on fly.

Adrian

Wow, three posts while I type that last one :1yikes:

BB, if your in kellyville, drop me a pm, I'm in castle hill and go to the showground occasionaly to practice cast. Another thing, you dont need a running line with a full fly line, nor do you put a shooting head on the end of a fly line - you are actually doubling the wieght of the line. One or the other.

George, I'll bring the fly rod along next wednesday to the rod builders club, but who are the competent fly casters there ????? certainly not me.

Got to type and post faster me thinks.

Adrian

Guest bluecod
George, I'll bring the fly rod along next wednesday to the rod builders club, but who are the competent fly casters there ?????  certainly not me.

Adrian

27093[/snapback]

Adrian I thought after I posted that I may have dropped you right into it :hitsfan: - mate, who the hell needs to be competent to have fun and learn a bit more than we already know. If we can teach young BB a thing or two, then he'll be in front of where he was. :thumbup:

George

I was actually out at the Aussie Bass Angler before Christmas for the fly tying lessons, and Dean Butler (I think it was him) was there. We had a little casting session with my rod out the front of the shop, picked up some great casting tips and helped my casting heaps. Thanks again guys :)

The rod casts great in the right hands, but I'm still an amature. Only really had the one serious session on fly with this rod at Glenbawn, but didnt get anything :(

Adrian

Guest bluecod

BB sorry about the post hijack

Adrian,

Narralakes and myself have been hitting Narra Lakes a few times recently using a bread fly on the mullet and bream. You learn more in one session fishing than you do practising for hours. As you'd be aware the line and rod take on a completely different perspective when you're on the water.

We should tee up a day for a go with the lighter gear, smaller fish - its a hoot!

BB,

if you haven't already got your fly line - I'd hang off a bit until you decide what species you will be regularly fishing for. A floating line is a lot easier to cast with and a lot easier to pick up off the water. You can still use a weighted fly to get down a metre or so, probably faster than an unweighted fly on an intermediate sink line. If the budget allows, both types of fly line will get regular use particularly if you have a spare spool.

Edited by bluecod

Second appology BB - Hijack :gun_bandana:

The bream on fly might not be a bad idea, still planning on hitting broken bay again shortly and berly hard for the kings. I might join you though, drop me a line before you head out next. I agree with the on the water bit, out on the dam I was casting heaps better than in the park - seem to forget all about casting and it comes natural.

Adrian

I have fly fished around Broken Bay & offshore for a few years with a 10 weight Loomis. Took all the usual salmon ,Kings,Bonito Stripeys etc.

I began with an 8 weight & found distance a problem in the wind thats why I went to a 10. As for lines I ended up going to a weight forward intermediate. It cast better than a floating line & was more versatile. (buy the best fly line you can afford the cheapies are terrible to fish with & tangle)

Having said that I'm no Lefty Kreh but I wouldn't recommend a shooting head at all if you are learning to cast.

The only other tip I can give you is once you have the basics of casting & have had a little practice get out on the water under normal fishing conditions & practice whether there are fish about or not. Casting in a park with little wind & stable footing & casting from a rocking boat in the wind are worlds apart - the quicker you learn to cast in a fishing situation the better.

You do NOT need to be able to cast 100 feet to score fish. Having the ability to get an accurate 60 foot cast out will get you hooked up & distance will improve over time.

Fly fishing is great fun but can be frustrating for a while. Perservere though & you will enjoy the rewards.

PS - You will notice when out fishing that everytime you pick up the fly outfit the wind increases by 5 to 8 knots. This is normal & happens to everyone :biggrin2:

Guest Big-Banana

George, I'll bring the fly rod along next wednesday to the rod builders club, but who are the competent fly casters there ?????  certainly not me.

Adrian

27093[/snapback]

Adrian I thought after I posted that I may have dropped you right into it :hitsfan: - mate, who the hell needs to be competent to have fun and learn a bit more than we already know. If we can teach young BB a thing or two, then he'll be in front of where he was. :thumbup:

27094[/snapback]

Thatd be great if I could get some lessons. Because I think having a bit of know how from someone in person beats learning of books and videos. So whenever your avaliable. :thumbup:

Guest Big-Banana
BB sorry about the post hijack

Adrian,

Narralakes and myself have been hitting Narra Lakes a few times recently using a bread fly on the mullet and bream. You learn more in one session fishing than you do  practising for hours. As you'd be aware the line and rod take on a completely different perspective when you're on the water.

We should tee up a day for a go with the lighter gear, smaller fish - its a hoot!

BB,

if you haven't already got your fly line - I'd hang off a bit until you decide what species you will be regularly fishing for. A floating line is a lot easier to cast with and a lot easier to pick up off the water. You can still use a weighted fly to get down a metre or so, probably faster than an unweighted fly on an intermediate sink line. If the budget allows, both types of fly line will get regular use particularly if you have a spare spool.

27097[/snapback]

Ill definately be fishing for offshore pelagics. So that means Ill probably need to get the fly a couple meters down in the water column. Id stilllike to come along and learn. So let me know :biggrin2: . Ill be buying a spare spool and filling one with intermediate line and the other with the sinking stuff.

Guest Big-Banana
I have fly fished around Broken Bay  & offshore for a few years with a 10 weight Loomis. Took all the usual salmon ,Kings,Bonito Stripeys etc.

I began with an 8 weight & found distance a problem in the wind thats why I went to a 10.  As for lines I ended up going to a weight forward intermediate.  It cast better than a floating line & was more versatile. (buy the best fly line you can afford the cheapies are terrible to fish with & tangle)

Having said that I'm no Lefty Kreh but  I wouldn't recommend a shooting head at all if you are learning to cast.

The only other tip I can give you is once you have the basics of casting & have had a little practice get out on the water under normal fishing conditions & practice whether there are fish about or not. Casting in a park with little wind & stable footing & casting from a rocking boat in the wind are worlds apart - the quicker you learn to cast in a fishing situation the better.

You do NOT need to be able to cast 100 feet to score fish. Having the ability to get an accurate 60 foot cast out will get you hooked up & distance will improve over time.

Fly fishing is great fun but can be frustrating for a while. Perservere though & you will enjoy the rewards.

PS - You will notice when out fishing that everytime you pick up the fly outfit the wind increases by 5 to 8 knots. This is normal & happens to everyone  :biggrin2:

27106[/snapback]

Thanx Ken thats much appreciated. I will probably fish 9-10 weight as he said its ok to fish heavier than the reels recommended weight.

But looking forward to learning from somemore experienced guys. A couple blokes we were talking to in the tackle shop said it was unneccessary to cast all the fly line and one false cast was all that was needed.

Rod Harrison hit the nail on the head when he said "less swish more fish" .

Learn to shoot line into your backcast it helps a lot even though it may not be technically correct casting. Going heavier line on the reel is OK but don't overload the rod.

Getting lessons from experienced guys in casting is the way to go for sure it makes life much easier. When I learnt I had to teach myself. That was back in the days when fly rods were rare down Broken bay even in Salmon season. I fished 4 seasons before I saw another fly fisho down there :biggrin2: I'm showing my age now :1prop:

Guest Big-Banana

Mustve been a while back Ken. But Fly Fishing is the way to go on some days when the Dollies are quiet. Iam sick of hearing all the fly boys continually yahooing when they hook up and we get very little some days.

Sorry for not replying earlier BB, I am real bad on looking at past postings. As for stripping, if your on the boat you can use a bin to strip into, that will keep it away from getting tangled around your foot or any other object when you hook the big one. When on my tinny, or the couple of times Ive been on other boats, I just try and keep the floor area clean, but at times still manage to find something to snag on. Lines will tangle at times no matter what you do, stripping baskets, stripping bins, I'd like to know of anyone and their techniques if they NEVER get tangles. If you need company one day chasing pelagics, let me know, I'm always keen to get amongst the brutes!

As for the other info from the other Raiders, Ken, George, Target and co, they are spot on with the tips. Line, shooting heads etc just depends on your skill level and what you're chasing. Personally, I reckon an intermediate does for most pelagics, sinking lines if your going deep for kingies perhaps.

Guest bluecod

After Target and myself gave BB and Pa some casting tips last night, they gratiously gave us a go with their set-up - what a sweet tool it is [GLoomis #9 loaded with a high quality 30/70 FastST/F line]. As Target was heard to say at least once "I WANT ONE"

Once BB and his Dad put a bit more casting practise in, they are going to have a ball with that outfit.