Cooking Yellowtail - Not Kingfish

olitay

Hi Raiders, has anyone tried eating yellowtail???? i have heard from a hand few of people that they are actually really good eating?? can anyone clarify?

I have just come back from a flatty session off Longreef and we landed some XOS yellow tail by accident. i decided to keep one and im about to throw it on the BBQ....

Ill keep you all posted along with photos for proof!!!!!

Wish me luck!!!

Edited by olitay

The local fisho has been selling them for a while.

Plenty of people eat all sorts of different styles, personally I cant go near ozzy salmon but others don't mind it. My missus and I can't go past a good feed of roe yet many people are turned off by them.

Dave

• 2 months later...

My best mate asks for all the big yellowtails I get, even if i want to use them as bait he steals them for the keeper eski :wife:

Cakes them in lemon juice and wraps them up in alfoil, says they are quiet nice

Cooked up a bunch of Cowan young all around 30-35cm, caught under the spit on Saturday night. We didn't get anything else so I thought why not?? Can't say I rate them all that high though as they were a little watery and flavourless, but not awful.

I tell you what though I'll never throw back another good leathery after the last one I kept...MMM, awsome eating, even after freezing!!

Some people swear by yellowtail but my wife actually swears at my yellowtail in the freezer.

A live yellowtail is good jew bait, a cooked up dead yellowtail tastes like a restauraunt refund and looks like coroners evidence to me :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

funny enough i was working in marrickville and stopped off for some lunch on my way home at a viet takeaway and there happen to be a tray of yellow tail, couldn't help but try one... was on of the best fried fish iver ever had.

then again i think a peice of shoe would taste good deep fried with all the seasoning they put on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my mate is portugese and says that they eat them all the time, only the smaller ones though, they are nicer to eat apparently and you eat bones and all.

Yep, my neighbour is Portugese, not so much now, but when i was a kid i remember him frying up Yakkas with a heap of garlic...Fritz I belive its called...

Personally, ill give it a miss, not a fan of eating fish with small bones.

Harry.

• 8 months later...

such an old post, but i'll make my 2 cents

Yellow tail actually tastes really great Why i do is:

* Fillet or butterfly the yellowtail

* Marinate the fish in Vinegar, crushed garlic cloves, and cracked pepper. (i Usually let it marinate overnight or so)

*you can either grill, barbeque or shallow fry the fish.

Taste bloody awesome for something you use for bait

Cheers

I read in the paper the other day some asian chef going on about eating yakkas, thanks but no thanks

That would be Tetsuya, arguably Australias best chef.

He talked about amazing it is that in sydney you can just walk down to a wharf and catch fresh sashimi that people would pay $hundreds for in japan.

Apparently yakkas are amazing sashimi style.

The local fisho has been selling them for a while.

Plenty of people eat all sorts of different styles, personally I cant go near ozzy salmon but others don't mind it. My missus and I can't go past a good feed of roe yet many people are turned off by them.

Dave

love roe its the poor mans caviar :1fishing1:

Dens, to me the photo is of a fried yakka that's been tried for taste and then dropped into the closest ash tray :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Well actually Jewgaffer, I was so impressed with the taste of this char grilled beauty that i couldt wait to get a photo of it! It did not go anywhere near the astray, Just straight in the tummy mate!

Delicious, been eating them since this post started (Nearly a year ago!)

:)