Well Hello Dollie

Rabs

Hello fellow raiders,

Hit the water at 6.30am from Burraneer Bay. Headed east through some messy water with the first mark being the Port Hacking FAD. Cruisecraft, Big Pommie Ben, Danny and myself on board. The plan was to have short look at the FAD then change lures and run some 12-14 inch skirts to the Canyons off Wollongong. The SST indicated some warm water in that region.

On approach to the FAD a small dollie hit the small pusher. A second past scores a better sized dollie and with that squared away the lures are set. A few more passes and the short corner lure gets nailed. A big bull dollie launches itself and put on a great display. Big Pommie Ben does a great job with the trace and gaffed in one fluid motion and the big boy hits the deck. A short wrestle by the crew and we pinn the shoulders for a 10 count before the big boy does any damage. Handshakes and photos. Troll to the Canyons, great water colour and 23C but no billfish. Return to the FAD about 2pm and sighted a few dollies but they weren't interested in the lures. Great day out, returned home a bit tired and emotional.

Cheers,

Rabs.

post-4948-1206433333_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rabs

Thats an awesome dollie mate, did you get a weight or length on it?

Josh88,

We didn't weigh the bugger but estimate it to be on the right side of 20kgs. Big Pommie Ben held it upright by the tail on our return and it went from his shoulder to foot. He is 6'2".

Plenty of large fillets for the BBQ.

Cheers.

Rabs.

great dollie!

can you please tell me what size/colour lures you use to target dollies! and trolling speeds!

Hi Wildfish,

I used the new Pakula Dojo destroyer in purple and green. The small 6inch models. The speed needs to be slower than the big lures as these smaller jobs are light weight and tend to blow out. Anywhere from 5.5 - 6.5kts depending on the conditions. I set them fairly close compared to the normal big lure positions. The big bull dollie took the Dojo Destroyer in purple - the bugger almost inhaled it. Must admit these small Dojos smoke and fizz in the water.

Cheers, Rabs.

gday boys first i like to thank kit for the phone call rabs for passing on a wealth of knowledge and danny for the best chicken wings and satay sticks you have tasted .great company great food and a bloody good fish. what a great day boys thankyou. pommie ben

Congrats!!!

An awesome Dollie :1yikes::1yikes:

Rabs when you refer to the "Southern Canyons" or the "Wollongong Canyons" are you actually refering to the canyons east of Stanwell Park, or further south??

XG.

XG,

I refer to the Stanwell Canyons, as you come from that neighbourhood I believe the southern canyons are those off Kiama, etc. Can you please clarify the positions??. The canyons south are a stretch from a Sydney base. Cheers, Rabs

XG,

I refer to the Stanwell Canyons, as you come from that neighbourhood I believe the southern canyons are those off Kiama, etc. Can you please clarify the positions??. The canyons south are a stretch from a Sydney base. Cheers, Rabs

Thanks Rabs,

I was going to ask you the same thing!!!

We (Wollongong folk) refer to the Stanwell Park Canyons (east of Stanwell Park) - my outer mark is:

S 34°14.993 E 151°32.074

I'm assuming the Sydney (Port Hacking etc.) folk refer to these as the "Southern Canyons". I agree the Kiama Canyons are a long haul from a Sydney base. I read plenty of reports of boats heading to Browns then onto the "Southern Canyons" often catching fish, I'm assuming this would be what I'd call the Stanwell Park Canyons. Can you confirm this?? Happy for anyone to clarify............

My mark for the Kiama Canyons is - S 34°48.338 E 151°10.339, got this off a website years ago and ususally head for this mark, then use the sounder as Kiama Canyons are not that deep (~130ftm-200+ ftm)

Cheers

XG.

:biggrin2:

Edited by Xiphias Gladius