Who Has Made Their Own Boat, From Scratch

arpie

Hi guys

I didn't say it was a big boat ...... 8ft folding boat! When I retired, one of the things I had on my list to achieve, was to build a folding boat! Initially I had seen a plan for a canoe/kayak style boat that I had seen in Popular Mechanics back in the 70's or 80's! However, when searching the net, I came upon a Micro Folding Dinghy! It looks more like boat, but folds flat & is made of marine ply sides & floor & vinyl front & rear. I added the metal strap when I had a small whipper snipper engine added to it! :)

The original plans were for a much smaller boat where only one person could be in it, with no seat, kneeling.

The ply that I had bought was 8ft long & it was a shame to cut it down, so I reworked the calculations & made it up ...

Here it is in bits

post-2231-1206523021_thumb.jpg

In the water

post-2231-1206523063_thumb.jpg

Under way with the whipper snipper motor!

post-2231-1206523100_thumb.jpg

When completed, I sent this photo of my brother in law & a friend in my boat to the microcruising.com website (where I found the plans & the home of tiny round the world yachts!!) with the following data ....

post-2231-1206521682_thumb.jpg

By the way, Roberta Pearce made an enlarged version of the "Micro Folding Dinghy" which turned out very nicely. Roberta told us that:

"I worked out a scale that I increased the length, width & height & luckily it seemed to work well without compromising the shape of the boat, as I had a couple of sheets of ply to use that were just under 8ft. When I put the seats in, it was very unstable until I put them much lower in the boat. I left the 'keel' bits (longer bits at the back) quite long, as I reckoned it would be easier to shorten them if needed, rather than lengthen them if cut too short! I just wish I had taken more trouble to fibreglass the whole thing before putting it together as the ply was not in the best of condition to start off with & I didn't really expect it to be as good as it turned out! 'Oh ye of little faith!' I hear you say! Anyway, I had a lot of fun making it & even if nieces & nephews get some fun out of it before it de-laminates, it was worth it."

It doesn't see much light of day now that I have moved up to kayaks .... but it will always remain the first ever boat that I have made!! :) :)

Let's have a look at your home made boats .....

Cheerio

Roberta

It is a terrific little project to make & one that any kid could have a go & complete. If anyone wants the plans, I can give them to you.

Edited by Roberta

hehehehe I ain't finished yet, I've got ideas I haven't even thought of yet ...... don't know if I'd make any other one tho!

The plans are really clever - the base of the sides are 'corrugated' & fit into the corrugated sides of the floor! That makes it really strong & rigid. The seats hold the sides apart & are basically held on by velcro! I had to add extra layers of ply to the seats (cross ways) to make them even more rigid, too.

It was a fun project. It'd be a terrific woodwork project for schools - then finish it off with a race on the water!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Truly amazing Roberta!! :yahoo:

You sure you aren't the Mother of Invention???

Now..if only you could scale back an Etec for Ross...I'm sure he'd be happy

with "Up Ya Go...a Bit" :074:

Well done Ma'am.

Cheers,

Pete.

BTW..The Navy wants to buy an aircraft carrier...can you help there??? :074:

That's terrific Roberta !! What a great feat !! :thumbup:

You have a solo South West Rocks Marlin mission on your mind already, ay Roberta :yahoo:

You won't even worry about the whipper snipper or the old one speed pedal power either, I'll bet you'll soon fit a ten speed chain drive mountain bicycle gear box to it to handle the swell :thumbup:

Cheers :D

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

You never cease to amaze Roberta.

I'd like to know what other plans you have for the future. Maybe a submarine?

However, I think your next boat should be 5m-7m ... upgraded with perhaps a "chainsaw" motor! :biggrin2:

I also think your name should be added to the world's other three great inventors:

Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Edison and Macgyver :thumbup:

post-4381-1206577389_thumb.jpg post-4381-1206577399_thumb.jpg post-4381-1206577409_thumb.jpg

The folding boat is great!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS