New Stella 20000, Old Stella 20000 Or Saltiga 6500 Expadition

VA911

basically as above.. this reel will be used for everything. will be running 65 - 80lb braid and on a 50 - 80lb jigstick that is yet to be decided.

Basically i am after something i can jig with, run on the downriggers and also pull lures with.

This will be my final and ultimate rig!

your input is much sought after.

thanks.

Vince

Edited by VA911

I'd say the saltiga expedition 6500

hands down as its a fully sealed reel shes my

next reel hopefully soon as i'm so happy with my

saltiga 4500Z but also saying that shimano stellas

are good reels as well :1fishing1:

Probably the Saltiga, have you hada look at the Dogfight 6500 version, they are extremely tough reels. If you do go the Stella then the 10000 may be a better option, it has more drag which i doubt you'll ever need and i'm probably wrong saying this but i partially remember a catalogue saying it had a bigger line capacity.

All are great reels, good luck with what you choose

Josh

Go the Stella...know people who have both and many are unhappy with the Saltiga, I had to make the same decision some time back, I went out with Kelvin and had a good chat to him, He uses both reels alot...He rated the Stella above the Saltiga in that size, I also spoke to 3 charter operators who have use both and all of them said the Saltigas break down alot more often.....

The Stella 10000 does have more drag (i think something like 65lb vs 49lb in the 20000). The reason for that is because then 10000 has less line capacity than the 20000. So, extra drag comes with a loss of capacity.

BUT, who will ever really lock up on and take on 65lb of drag.....

Anyway, both the Stella and the Dogifght are awesome reels, I dont think you will go wrong with either, however when I am trying to pick a reel, I always look at what the charter boys are using, and there gear gets the biggest workout. The guys on Nomad Charters who are catching the biggest GT's (40-70kg) and Dogtooth (50kg-110kg) are using STELLA'S. They have pics and vids on their website.....

Daniel

Edited by Le Pasha

thanks so far guys.

The reason i am choosing the stella 20000 over the 10000 and the expadition 6500 over the dogfight is that the expadition and the 20000 have a lower gear ratio. better for cranking up creatures.

I know that boath can go wrong though as they are only mechanical.

I played with boath yesterday for quite a while and looked at them in detail.

The stella is a little heavier but feels smoother. 2 concerns with the stella is that the spool feels like there is a bit of play when you jig it up and down. not much at all but you can feel it. the stella also has 2 open bearings in the spool. From everyones experiance that owns one do they every play up (these bearings) and i have also heard of main bearing problems?

the Expadition felt RAW!. like a very powerfull reel and was very well balanced. there was no play in anything at all.. I have heard of sticky drags though. and the bail arm next to the line roller looks as if line could get cought in there.

Another point is line capacity. the stella holds a HEAP of line over say the 300m of 80lb braid on the expadition. Line capacity is important as i plan on using it for EVERYTHING, kings, tuna on the very odd occasion and who knows maby even a beakie of some description

How much 80lb will fit on the stella?

so as you can tell i am a little closer to making a decision and the stella is looking better at the moment.

Edited by VA911

thanks so far guys.

The reason i am choosing the stella 20000 over the 10000 and the expadition 6500 over the dogfight is that the expadition and the 20000 have a lower gear ratio. better for cranking up creatures.

I know that boath can go wrong though as they are only mechanical.

I played with boath yesterday for quite a while and looked at them in detail.

The stella is a little heavier but feels smoother. 2 concerns with the stella is that the spool feels like there is a bit of play when you jig it up and down. not much at all but you can feel it. the stella also has 2 open bearings in the spool. From everyones experiance that owns one do they every play up (these bearings) and i have also heard of main bearing problems?

the Expadition felt RAW!. like a very powerfull reel and was very well balanced. there was no play in anything at all.. I have heard of sticky drags though. and the bail arm next to the line roller looks as if line could get cought in there.

Another point is line capacity. the stella holds a HEAP of line over say the 300m of 80lb braid on the expadition. Line capacity is important as i plan on using it for EVERYTHING, kings, tuna on the very odd occasion and who knows maby even a beakie of some description

How much 80lb will fit on the stella?

so as you can tell i am a little closer to making a decision and the stella is looking better at the moment.

Vince,

You can fit around 400 metres of PE8 on the Stella 20000. The good thing is that the spools are interchangeable, so if you do purchase a 10000, you can still use a 20000 spool for higher capacity.

As for the 'spool play', a small amount of vertical movement exists on all Shimano reels and is not a fault or poor design. Have a think about what would happen to your spool/reel internals if you smashed it against the gunnel with no 'give' at all in the spool attached to the main shaft - simply too tight, things will inevitably break.

Edited by Luke Wyrsta

Vince,

You can fit around 4000 metres of PE8 on the Stella 20000. The good thing is that the spools are interchangeable, so if you do purchase a 10000, you can still use a 20000 spool for higher capacity.

As for the 'spool play', a small amount of vertical movement exists on all Shimano reels and is not a fault or poor design. Have a think about what would happen to your spool/reel internals if you smashed it against the gunnel with no 'give' at all in the spool attached to the main shaft - simply too tight, things will inevitably break.

Can you really fit 4000 metres of PE8 braid on a stella? Would hate to be paying for that much braid, also more than the reel itself. Maybe 400m??

i think the decision has just about been made.

And the winner is.

08 Stella 20000PG

Now i need a rod????? AND Braid?????

Suggestions.

Get the best, go for a Varivas GT Avani SMP - this is a PE6 line that tests to 90lb. Which means you'll get around 500 metres on a 08 20000 SW spool.

Alternatively, you could opt for the colour coded Varivas Big One which is also a PE6 line but rated to 85lb.

NOW the wait begins..... :tease::tease:

Its going to be a long month.

Should arive late april just in time for jigging season..

but as i have been told its a SHOULD...

i am sure a few fellow fishos out there will be hanging just as much as i am for its arival.

Edited by VA911

NOW the wait begins..... :tease::tease:

Its going to be a long month.

Should arive late april just in time for jigging season..

but as i have been told its a SHOULD...

i am sure a few fellow fishos out there will be hanging just as much as i am for its arival.

Mate.. I am the same. I ordered mine 6 weeks ago.... should be here for next season I imagine!! :wacko:

Mate.. I am the same. I ordered mine 6 weeks ago.... should be here for next season I imagine!! :wacko:

Better blody not be that long. :(

They reckon its released late april but i have also been told that japan and japanese clients get first preference, so if there is only enough to go around in japan that is it, even though you ordereded from japan.. They are saying they are not sure how many units Shimanno are going to release in April and that is the same story i have got from everyone but only once you start asking questions..... unless i lost something in the translation.... :wacko:

So what rod would you guys recommend???

Was either thinking a Smith AMJ or i dont know what else?

Edited by VA911

Better blody not be that long. :( ...

....So what rod would you guys recommend???

Was either thinking a Smith AMJ or i dont know what else?

Hi Vince I think your choice of the big Stella is an excellent choice. Knowing you like the best of fishing gear regardless of price, I would like to give you my opinion on a great spinning rod known as a Tiger rod. These rods will handle almost anything and have extra fast action. The 10lb sensity part is awesome for memory rebound and hook up rate with the rod left to do its own thing in a rod holder. The 50lb heavier line rating part gives excellent backbone leverage and will turn a medium size game fish efffortlessly. It would be a terrific match with the big Stella, extra sporty with power and strength.

I have eleven U.S. Ugly Stik Tiger Rods and use use penn 750's and 9500's among other good brands of larger spinning reels, including Tica, Pflueger, Centron, and Shimano. I use the big 725 Alvies on them as well. I would not part with any of my the Tiger Rods.

This is a review I found :-

Conclusion "What makes the Ugly Stiks so popular? A timeless construction that to this day still performs well and a great price make the Tiger the rod to beat, and the bar by which all newer saltwater rods are measured by. The Tiger continues to be a dominating force in the world of big game fishing, but the flexibility of this rod can easily be carried over to live bait fishing for catfish and stripers. At such a low price every serious angler should have one of these in their collection as a primary rig or as proven backup solution."

Here is a pic of the overhead version. The model number for the spinning rods is Ugly Stik Tiger BWS 1102 10-50lb 7' and it has a 40mil first guide. Mine are U.S. made and came with a big 50mm first guide. These model numbers are U.S. models and are still in production but they are not marketed in Australia to my knowledge. Maybe one of our sponsors can get the Tigers in for you.

Vince if you buy one Tiger rod I'll bet you'll buy half a dozen.

post-829-1207279442_thumb.jpg

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Go the Stella...know people who have both and many are unhappy with the Saltiga, I had to make the same decision some time back, I went out with Kelvin and had a good chat to him, He uses both reels alot...He rated the Stella above the Saltiga in that size, I also spoke to 3 charter operators who have use both and all of them said the Saltigas break down alot more often.....

I am not being rude, but i find the mentioning of the ( Saltiga's break down alot more often ) extremely weird and very hard to believe, but i think one of the thing's it come's down to is who prefer's which reel.

from what i know the Expedition is fully waterproof and sealed with a max drag of 30kg's the same as the Dogfight, I have and own 3 reel's= 1 4500, 1 Dogfight and 1 Expedition all Saltiga reel's and none of them have had any problem's at all which i have had them for a few years now and still going very strong. but with the Stella i think it is only the drag that is sealed or waterproofed and that is it.

so if you ask me, decide on what you want to get be it either Saltiga or Stella and get what reel you want to get. don't get me wrong though they are both good reel's and i would be asking to which one to go with which i did on another site, i made a decesion and went with what i wanted to get.

I am not being rude, but i find the mentioning of the ( Saltiga's break down alot more often ) extremely weird and very hard to believe, but i think one of the thing's it come's down to is who prefer's which reel.

from what i know the Expedition is fully waterproof and sealed with a max drag of 30kg's the same as the Dogfight, I have and own 3 reel's= 1 4500, 1 Dogfight and 1 Expedition all Saltiga reel's and none of them have had any problem's at all which i have had them for a few years now and still going very strong. but with the Stella i think it is only the drag that is sealed or waterproofed and that is it.

so if you ask me, decide on what you want to get be it either Saltiga or Stella and get what reel you want to get. don't get me wrong though they are both good reel's and i would be asking to which one to go with which i did on another site, i made a decesion and went with what i wanted to get.

Thanks for the input.

I HAVE DECIDED to go the new stella.

This reel is ment to maintain the smoothness that shimano are known for, better drag setup again, and BIGGER, STRONGER gears. The new gears are ment to be made very similar to the saltiga.

I cant wait to get my hands on it!

I have also decided on the new stella because the Expadition doesnt hold as much line which i think is important if i want to catch a Marlin or a Big Tuna with.

The Wait Continues.........

• 4 weeks later...

My newest toy landed today and i couldnt resist but post a few pics. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Some eye candy if you ask me. I hope the Saltigas in the colection dont get left at home....

Now where is that new rod???????

OK this thing is a work of art. Check out the New Pics.

If feels perfect in hand, it sparkles in the light, the drag is sealed and is easily lined up on the shaft. Lighter than the older one and just amazing.

The new reel comes with a pouch that actually fits the reel in.

SW20000PG002.jpg

SW20000PG001.jpg

SW20000PG003.jpg

SW20000PG004.jpg

SW20000PG005.jpg

SW20000PG006.jpg

SW20000PG007.jpg

SW20000PG008.jpg

SW20000PG009.jpg

Edited by VA911