Surf Rods

centralcoastfisho

Hello Fishraiders,

I am in the process of purchasing a 4144(with double expoxy guides I believe they are called), to a suit a 4500 sized reel. Would anyone be able to recommend a good brand, and possibly model(FSU, MT, etc. ) I am hoping to chase down some bream/whiting from the beach.

Any suggestions would be dearly appreciated.

Cheers

CCF

Edited by centralcoastfisho

" Two of the most popular surf rods that we make are for such fishing situations, both of which are made on Snyder Glas blanks. Snyder Glas go right back to the early fifties where they started off as Len Butterworth. The reputation of top quality surf and estuary blanks continues on to this day and you will be hard stretched to find someone that doesn’t agree that today's Snyder Glas blanks set the standard in these fields.

The two blanks that we will have a look at and make up are the MT 4144 and the MT 6144. The first rod being suited to ten pound line and the second one to fifteen pound line.

Both are rolled up on multi tapered mandrels which gives them the sensitivity in the tip for feeling those bites yet the butt section has enough strength to cast baits well out. Weights of up to 40 grams will suit the 4144 while 60 gram weights can be cast on the 6144.

The lighter of the two rods is ideal for general surf fishing while the 6144 makes a good all round surf rod capable of handling a few good tailor as well."

Pinched this from another site! hope it helps.

Howard.

Hi CCF

hehehehe I was lucky enough to get an MT7144 Len Butterworth rod last week for $20 :1yikes::1yikes: I only have to replace a few runners .... no drama. Nice & light in the tip & firm in the butt ..... could even pull a Jewie off the breakwall, I reckon! :)

Looking forward to giving it a go when I have replaced the runners.

Don't be afraid to check out garage sales etc or even junk/trading shops (or even our own FR Swap & for Sale) in your search for a good beach rod. A brand new topline rod could set you back $200!! Given a few $$ & a bit of time & effort, I will have the equivalent!

Cheerio

Roberta

I have 2 mt7144's. A 1 piece and a 2 piece, both built for an Alvey reel. 8 kg line on a 650c5

the 1 piece is a Butterworth and the 2 I think a Snyder glass. The 2 piece has been sanded and is a little softer, but only just.

I love them!!!!!!!

Howard.