Removing Boat From Trailer Onto Lawn

achjimmy

Hi All

I am finally going to upgrade the trailer, and was going to drop the boat of the trailer. I have acess to a heap of old tyres and was going to hook up to car and slowy push it off onto some car tyres supporting the keel and the hull on the sides. My yard slopes down hill so that should help. Any other tips any body has?

Pick up the new trailer and then get a mate to tow it to the nearest boat ramp and then just do the switcharoo off one trailer onto the other. That way you know the new trailer is good for a launch and retrieve so you don't have any hassle at the ramp next time. It is also easier to adjust at the ramp.

If you do it on the front lawn ( not sure how big your boat is ) beware of any fittings like water pickups etc as they may get snapped off. Be aware that many motors don't tilt up enough unless you have a couple of tyres under the transom and they aren't that strong!! I have done it on the lawn once with a mates 20 footer and it was a pain and was particularly hard work winching back on so make sure you bow fittings , winch are strong. Have seen another bloke drop his off by tying off transom between 2 large trees on a few truck tyres under the keel and doing the reverse by resersing the trailer underneath it to put it back on like you do at longreef at the ramp.

PEL

PS The black tyres marked the hull on our effort

Pel thx

Not getting a new trailer just giving the old one a birthday. Actualy putting a whole new "subframe" under it so in essence i dont have to drop it off just thought it would be more convient to clean every thing up and work on with out the boat?

5m quintrex btw.

Hi All

I am finally going to upgrade the trailer, and was going to drop the boat of the trailer. I have acess to a heap of old tyres and was going to hook up to car and slowy push it off onto some car tyres supporting the keel and the hull on the sides. My yard slopes down hill so that should help. Any other tips any body has?

mate did this with my old boat glass 17ft,was easier then i thought it would be,tied the back of the boat to the carport undid the winch cable (still attactched just wound it off )placed car tyres under centre line of the boat drove the car away with the trailer attached off slowly while the winch cable was wound backwards,put two four wheel drive tyres under the outer chines ,one each side did this till the whole boat was sitting on the tyres

repaired trailer

to put the boat back on reversed procedure ,car attached to trailer car in nuetral and winched the trailer and car under the boat as the boat was still secured to the car port(by the way the carport was a very strong structure)

mate if you need a hand and your sort of local pm me

cheers arman

Pel thx

Not getting a new trailer just giving the old one a birthday. Actualy putting a whole new "subframe" under it so in essence i dont have to drop it off just thought it would be more convient to clean every thing up and work on with out the boat?

5m quintrex btw.

5m quintrex - no worries that is no to heavy a boat.

20 foot of old glass was not fun.

With a quinnie you will be able to stick a couple of tyres on top of each other towards the bow and it keep it up and makes it so much easier to get on again as you'll be able to reverse the trailer back under it.

Happy birthday to your trailer. It is so much easier without the boat on, if they are badly seized just grind off the ubolts or tighten till they snap. Getting the old stuff off takes longer than refitting. Leave the trailer attached to a towball as it is safer, stands at the back so it is stable and doesn't move around when setting up the new subframe.

Good luck

pel

Hi Jim, as you explained is how we do it all the time here. Pull the boat back and allow the stern to sit on a tyre and then just pull the trailer out from under the boat slowly and keep the bow up high to make re-installing the boat on the trailer easier.

Not hard and you and a mate will do it in 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Huey.