Live Bait Tank

puka9988

gday raiders

just a question.

iv started to wonder if it would be easy enough to make a live bait tank just in the shed of our place up at stockton by just using a tank and a simple pump used back in the day when i had gold fish as pets (about 7 or so years ago) i believe i still have it and cant see why it shouldnt work...

its probly not as simple as this.. but is there any reason why this couldnt keep some little livies alive for a night?

tight lines

stockoboy

gday raiders

just a question.

iv started to wonder if it would be easy enough to make a live bait tank just in the shed of our place up at stockton by just using a tank and a simple pump used back in the day when i had gold fish as pets (about 7 or so years ago) i believe i still have it and cant see why it shouldnt work...

its probly not as simple as this.. but is there any reason why this couldnt keep some little livies alive for a night?

tight lines

stockoboy

Best buying a cheap external fish filter for a local aquarium and when you do catch the live bait try to bring as much of that same water you caught them from home to fill the tank up. Good luck. :thumbup:

Hi all , just a question as i am interested in keeping a tank with some bait fish aswell !

I have never had a saltwater fish tank .

1.Can I simply just get normal sea water formt he river and install a filter with cotton / charcoal ?

2. Do i need to add chemicals (monthly / weekly) ? as you need to for a fresh water aquarium.

3. Can you start with freshwater and add an additive to make it saltwater ?

4. I have been told that water lost through evaporation can be replaced with fresh water ? is this true

any help is appreciated.

MR RB.

Hi all , just a question as i am interested in keeping a tank with some bait fish aswell !

I have never had a saltwater fish tank .

1.Can I simply just get normal sea water formt he river and install a filter with cotton / charcoal ?

2. Do i need to add chemicals (monthly / weekly) ? as you need to for a fresh water aquarium.

3. Can you start with freshwater and add an additive to make it saltwater ?

4. I have been told that water lost through evaporation can be replaced with fresh water ? is this true

any help is appreciated.

MR RB.

1. Yes normal sea water is fine, but get clean stuff away from pollution etc. The best and only worthwhile filter for a salt water tank is a mini-reef filter, or you can get away with airlifts if you change the water often enough. For long term keeping you will also need a protein skimmer.

2. You need to monitor salt levels (specific gravity), ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, hardness.. the list goes on if you want to do it right.

3. You can, but it's a costly mixture from aquarium stores and in my mind a waste of money if the ocean is within a short drive.

4. Always replace evapourated water with fresh water as the salt does not evaporate. But monitor the specific gravity always.

Last of all buy a book on salt water aquarium keeping. It's the only way you will begin to learn all there is to know about that expensive and time consuming, if rewarding hobby.

1. Yes normal sea water is fine, but get clean stuff away from pollution etc. The best and only worthwhile filter for a salt water tank is a mini-reef filter, or you can get away with airlifts if you change the water often enough. For long term keeping you will also need a protein skimmer.

2. You need to monitor salt levels (specific gravity), ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, hardness.. the list goes on if you want to do it right.

3. You can, but it's a costly mixture from aquarium stores and in my mind a waste of money if the ocean is within a short drive.

4. Always replace evapourated water with fresh water as the salt does not evaporate. But monitor the specific gravity always.

Last of all buy a book on salt water aquarium keeping. It's the only way you will begin to learn all there is to know about that expensive and time consuming, if rewarding hobby.

i dont need to worry about most of this stuff if im only going to have some bait fish in them for 2-7 days every 10 weeks (holidays)?

just change the water each time.