Trucks And Parking Restrictions

hottyscotty

I live in Allawah and we're part of Kogarah Council who are run by idiots!!!

My dad drives a 3 tonne and over truck. My dad's truck has been evicted to park on the very street we live in. He's fine with that, so he parks the truck on Railway Parade.

This is where stupid actions would make anyone's blood boil. He was fined yesterday for parking his truck near our home.

Where the hell do they expect him to park then???!!!!! If Railway Parade and residential streets are restricted, then there is no where to park.

Surely there has to be exemptions if you are a resident?

If someone know the rulings on this issue please let me know.

Feel sorry for the poor sod on the phone at kogarah council coz they're getting a blasting just for being a moron accepting a job there in the first place

Aaah, I know that council well and have lots of fun with them as well .

Dont pay yet, look up the regs and find out what distance they call close to home. If it aint documented , then they can really enforce it as its open to interpretation. Or get them to send you the link or documents that state "what the minimum distance is". They cant expect you to obey the law if it isnt documented and I would bet that if you confronted them on that distance that they will back down.

Failing that - get your dad to park it in front of the council premises with a big sign on it saying ' ripped off by Kogarah council'....that will get some attention.

Found this on their website -

Further, did you know that residential streets in Kogarah are three tonne limited . This means that you cannot drive a truck over this weight limit in our streets unless you have business in the area and

you are travelling the most direct route to your destination.

Breaches of the restriction can result in a maximum on-the-spot penalty notice of $935.00.

Is Railway parade 3 tonne limited?

Found this on their website -

Further, did you know that residential streets in Kogarah are three tonne limited . This means that you cannot drive a truck over this weight limit in our streets unless you have business in the area and

you are travelling the most direct route to your destination.

Breaches of the restriction can result in a maximum on-the-spot penalty notice of $935.00.

This surely means an owner driver of a truck over the weight limit, travelling to and from his/her home can be classified by an accountant or a solicitor as having business in, and doing business within and outside the area, while driving from his home and back from any area he has business in by the most direct route to each destination :1prop:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Produce a backdated invoice for delivering a bag of compost to your home address. You are then conducting business in the street.

Produce one everyday.'

Edit- doesn't your dad have a limp and a exemption so he can park???

The rules are there to protect the road surface as local roads aren't designed for trucks constantly being on them - ie shortcuts- especially loaded ones. They are also there to the other residents ameniety isn't compromised - early startsn noise , vibration and believe it or not streetscape. A letter to the council showing that you are aware of both etc etc but are a resident and a sole trader or a local business or whatever ??

Just what size truck is it and what is it used for?? Your not the son of Kenny the portable dunny emptier with a nice fresh sullage truck are you??

Edited by pelican

rang up the council and says they don't give a sh!t about the people. i asked why can't residents have exemptions. i got a stupid reply saying that everyone will park their truck there. stupid moron on the phone doesn't realise not everyone on my street owns a truck. and i ain't even talking abt a semi

the council then told me to call up RTA...basically giving me the run around bullsh!t

i thought the people that run our lives are educated ppl? :1badmood:

Edited by hottyscotty

trucks over I think 4.5tonne gross vehicle mass are not permited to park on a public thoroughfare after sunset for more then 1 hour I believe, the rule was when I was still driving semi trailers five year's ago,it is a safety thing for other driver's to see around at night as if you had two truck's parked on opposite side of your average street it would be very dangerous,you can travel on a light load limit street if its the only way to a job site,if there is another way into a location even if it takes half hour longer you must use it,you can use load limit street to get to and from your residence but once again only if there is no other way.

yea they fined him during that period 7pm-7am and obviously he parked more than 1 hr becoz he was at home sleeping.

do you know how regular the "no 3t and over" sign must be placed?

i haven't seen any signs for the 2km or so, i drove on Railway pde. Can my dad contest the fine on the basis no signs were posted along that stretch?

yea they fined him during that period 7pm-7am and obviously he parked more than 1 hr becoz he was at home sleeping.

do you know how regular the "no 3t and over" sign must be placed?

i haven't seen any signs for the 2km or so, i drove on Railway pde. Can my dad contest the fine on the basis no signs were posted along that stretch?

I believe so long as there is a sign at all accesse's to the street which is load limited. If it was due to a neighbour complaint about the truck being there you could always start up the truck move it back and forth a metre every hour,the complaint's will soon stop about him parking there. :1yikes:

i've got a very vague response from RTA and what i can gather is, truck owners are not allowed to park anywhere.

Heavy vehicles (GVM of 4.5 tonnes or more) or long vehicles (7.5

metres long or longer) must not stop on a length of road that is not

in a built up area, except on the shoulder of the road.

In a built up area they must not stop on a length of road for longer

than one hour.

but what is built up and not built? they're just contradicting their own rules

before my old man moved onto a major road, himself and a neighbour were continually harassed by cops/council about their trucks(1 was 5t gvm the other 18t gvm) their response was cant do a thing about u driving to and from your residence, however the trucks must be parked in the driveway with no overhang onto the road and footpath(this is classed from gutter to fenceline on property). Currently where i live i have 2 dheads that park their trucks almost opposite each other just before a bend,i have had many near misses driving through there at the 50km local speed limit. I feel sympathy for heavy vehicle owners, but my families and my life are way more important than somewhere to park a heavy vehicle, so i support the council/cops enforcing this.

before my old man moved onto a major road, himself and a neighbour were continually harassed by cops/council about their trucks(1 was 5t gvm the other 18t gvm) their response was cant do a thing about u driving to and from your residence, however the trucks must be parked in the driveway with no overhang onto the road and footpath(this is classed from gutter to fenceline on property). Currently where i live i have 2 dheads that park their trucks almost opposite each other just before a bend,i have had many near misses driving through there at the 50km local speed limit. I feel sympathy for heavy vehicle owners, but my families and my life are way more important than somewhere to park a heavy vehicle, so i support the council/cops enforcing this.

:mad3::mad3::mad3:

CALM DOWN THERE SCOTTY. SEEK SOME GOOD ADVICE AND THEN TACKLE THE PROBLEM. YOU ARE LIVING IN A VERY BUSY LOCATION THERE AND I WOULD SAY SAFETY IS ALSO AN ISSUE.

MATE,WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE IN THIS PLACE AND PATIENCE IS NEEDED THERE. I HOPE YOU CAN SORT OUT THAT PROBLEM TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. I HAVE BEEN IN THAT PREDICAMENT MYSELF MANY YEARS AGO.

CHEERS BART :1fishing1:

Edited by bart

rang up the council and says they don't give a sh!t about the people. i asked why can't residents have exemptions. i got a stupid reply saying that everyone will park their truck there. stupid moron on the phone doesn't realise not everyone on my street owns a truck. and i ain't even talking abt a semi

the council then told me to call up RTA...basically giving me the run around bullsh!t

i thought the people that run our lives are educated ppl? :1badmood:

Your only hope is an exemption sticker which they can issue, probably best to put things in writing so you'll have a record, maybe the NRMA or TWU can help if you a member.

i had a thought abt telling my dad to speak to TWU as he is a member

anyways i spoke to the coffee girl this morning and says her brother is in the same situation. he gets 2-3 fines a year and just pays them as parking fee. she said most of the rangers don't care unless someone dobs the owner in. which i think holds some truth because my father has parked around the area for more than 15 years. so i guess if the fines are kept at that level i think my dad shouldn't have a problem. i just hope this fine isn't the start of many to come.