Casting Deck Project

love2fish

Hi to all fishraiders

im new to the fishraider forums and ive doing some reading under the workshop forum and i know that ill definately get some answer here ..

i am currently undergoing restoration to my 14ft brooker,im considering placing a casting deck from the first seat to the middle seat,simply cutting marine ply to sit directly on the seats...and then placing marine carpet....

my question is,how to fix the ply to the seats and what type of glue to fix carpet to the ply...i am a little worried by placing this casting deck directly onto seat which will increase the load and may force the boat of some kind of splitting so im thinking of some kinda bracing????..

Any advise will help me heaps..

Edited by Mr Breambo

I would use slightly thicker ply ( use waterproof and seal it) and to brace it I would just put a couple of hardwood cleats screwed and glued to the underside. To save having to screw it to the seats the cleats will stop it moving and hold it firm. This also allows stowage under it then as well as access won't be hard and you don't have to make a hatch.

Carpet is a pain to stick. For a small area like that I would probably just use some drilled strip stainless or ally and screw it ( stainless short screws) through the carpet on 3 edges. This way you can still flush under the carpet.

If you can put a photo up it would help and some as you do the project a severyone will have a few good ideas.

As a trial I would stand on the front seat and see just how stable or unstable it is so you know whether to continue