DIY Hook Sharpener

arpie

Hi guys

I know that if you use chemically sharpened hooks, you should just use them from the packet as they are usually pretty sharp. However, there are lots of hooks in my boxes that aren't as sharp as they should be (ie scratch the fingernail test) & this is how I sharpen mine ....

I bought a pair of chainsaw files & cut them in half, & secured both ends really tightly together so that the files are butted right up against each other. I cut a thicker bit of electrical tubing & popped it in hot water to soften. Force it over the tips of both ends. Make sure they are facing the correct way. Put plastic tubing over each end & just run the back of the barb down 'against the grain' & it sharpens them something chronic!!! Just a couple of passes will do it! It will virtually fit any sized hook, as the hook will adapt to shape the file, making the point really fine & sharp.

You just have to be careful that salt water doesn't get on it, as it will rust. If/when the one does go rusty, just use the other end ......

Make sure that the files are really really snug together & facing the correct way to sharpen both sides of the hook at the one time. This usually means it will sharpen in one direction only!

Cheers

Roberta

post-2231-1209457683_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1

I dont know the name but it is a small filing block covered with diamond pariticles. A V-shaped groove runs down the centre for the points of hooks and the flat surface is good for knives althogh a little hard to hold as it isnt very big.

Brilliant sharpening ability though and I think it was ~$15 from my tackle store.

I have a small vice that can be clamped pretty well anywhere on the boat, kitchen table or on the handrest of the lounge suite. The pictures are similar to what I have. This holds the hook firm and leaves both hands to sharpen a needle point with ease.

Then just use 6" or 8" smooth file for diamond point sharpness.

Vice should be available at hobby stores or DYI shops for around $25.00

Edited by Mariner 31

I don't think you could go past using one of the small portable vices shown by Mariner31 and a good file. Chainsaw files as Roberta mentioned are good quality files.

It is best to keep the hook perfectly steady as you file it. You should only file both sides and the back of the hook down to the point. Following the contours of the hook and filing the back and the outside edges inwards towards the point and some feathering work to finish off should make the hook ultra sharp.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

.....Then throw the hook away at the end of a session.....

hehehehe I tend to throw them away during the session ..... now that I blackie fish a lot, I don't use the hook sharpener much now - my hooks are always sharp, as I just replace the busted off hook!! :1prop::(:074:

Roberta

Couldn't find my old one so made another one! I couldn't make it 'snug' enough with the 2 whole files, so had to do the original version - cut in half! I bought 2 files & handles, so will add the other handle shortly. The smaller version would fit in your fishing gear easier!

They only sharpen in one direction, but sharpen knives & hooks beautifully, automatically angling the back of the barb, so put an arrow on one end to show the correct direction. Otherwise, just rub it on your fingernail - you 'll know which way sharpens!

Cut off bits of plastic tubing (ex electrical tubing) & put them in hot water so they soften & force them over the two bits of file to snug the files up together.

post-2231-1209457857_thumb.jpg

I had to 'cut them on the grinder' as a metal hacksaw wastn't going to get thru the tough metal.

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Roberta,

We use essentially the same set up with 2 round files, but instead of electrical tubing we use a suitable size wire rope crimp /suage (ship chandlery sourced) to hold the ends of the files, and if you get the correct size it holds them very firmly.

On the topic of blackfish, I have been trying to get a camera shot of what schools of blackfish have been doing lately at the marina where my boat is kept [sydney Harbour]. They (along with bream & mullet) are "slurping" some sort of fish spawn off the surface of the water, and are there for the patting or taking!

The spawn is brown in colour and obviously alive, as [if you are keen eyed and notice it in the first place...] it moves about visibly and collects in groups on the surface. It is very similar to what we colloquially refer to as "coral dust" out at sea, although not as thick as that usually is.

The schools of blackfish and bream/mullet etc are also keeping the resident kingfish population occupied, along with at least one small whaler shark which appeared one day I was there.

I will keep trying for a decent photo to post, as it would frustrate the heck out of dedicated blackfish anglers to see so many good size fish that close and active.

Cheers,

Bob.