Thompson Creek Dam In The Snow

Despite the poor weather on Sunday My wife Vicki & I decided to head up to Thompson creek dam again for a crack at the mighty trout. We arrived around 3:00pm and checked into a room for the night at the the local pub as it was really brass monkey weather when we arrived :frozen: . There was a band playing in the pup, the log fire was crackling, and the beer was.... well you know how it goes.

The wind blew like a beauty all night as the rain spat down on our bedroom window. The next morning, Monday was even worse than the day before, so we stayed in bed until around 10:00am. I suggested to Vic that maybe we should just go home, after all we had a great night in the pub, so not all had been lost. Vicki was adament despite the weather we were going for the trek into Thomos!. (I'm the luckiest guy in the world to have a wife that loves fishing )

So off we went, somewhat rugged up but not really prepared for what lay ahead.

We were half way in on the 3 klm walk when the grey skies above began to snow. What the heck we were half way in so on we trudged against the wind and snow. We persisted to fish for around 5 hours until our hands were number then numb and we were frozen to the bone. At 4:30pm Vic says I've had enough lets go. The only problem was she had caught a beautiful 5lb brown and a 2.5 lb rainbow. all I had caught was a tiny rainbow that I don't want to talk about . So we called it a day and made our way back to the car where we had some dry clothes. We walked to the car at a blistering rate to escape the cold but even then, while we were changing our clothes the snow kept comming. So even the inside of the car got showered in white thanks to the wind.

We called into the Ivanhoe hotel at Blackheath on the way home and sat in front of an open log fire eating hot pizza washed down with :beersmile::beersmile:

Despite the weather conditions of the trip we both agreed it was a great time shared together and really enjoyed the whole experience. We would both do it all over again.

(Live each day as though it is your last)

Check out the pics, Hey I know it is me holding Vic's big brown, I just had to put this one in.

post-256-1209389354_thumb.jpg

post-256-1209389367_thumb.jpg

post-256-1209389377_thumb.jpg

post-256-1209389386_thumb.jpg

Cheers Brad & Vicki.

I'm sitting here trying to warm up after a cold night, the house is freezing. Then I read this & I'm colder than before I put the heater on! You guys certainly deserved those fish, well, maybe not the little tacker. Well done, hard core fishos :thumbup:

Yaay!! Woman Power Reigns!!! Well done Vicki!! Top condition fish!! The old pink tassie devil does it again!! :)

Love the shot of the Brown in the back pack!! Send that to the fishing mag!! Brilliant!!

How you coped with the c_c_c_cold ........

Cheerio

Roberta

all our wifes are great

mine loves fishing and camping, drinking beer and brewing her own she just sold her 748 Ducati late last year and has just bought a kayak to fishing in.

we where up that way on the weekend at Tarana and caught plenty although it wasn't snowing and the fish were not that big.

we managed 2 browns at around the 54 cm mark but all the other (and there were a few) were around the 25 cm mark and mainly rainbows

cheers

Hi Breambusters, I was the other keen fisho out there that day, I was glad to see that I wasn't the only mad one there. It was the coldest April day recorded in 60 years. I arrived at 6.30am & left at about 3.30pm after walking all the way around the dam 11.8 klm on the gps.I hooked 4 fish but could not stay conected. The green & gold celta just woulden't stay hooked.Apart from cold fingers,ears & nose i still enjoyed myself.

I had all my luck on anzac day, 7 landed 4 droped all were rainbows. That day i walked all the way around the dam as well greate exercise in between landing fish.

I added some pics of the larger trout the other fish were only small about 25 to 30 cm

post-6149-1209956271_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1209956226_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1209955772_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1209955707_thumb.jpg

Hi Breambusters, I was the other keen fisho out there that day, I was glad to see that I wasn't the only mad one there. It was the coldest April day recorded in 60 years. I arrived at 6.30am & left at about 3.30pm after walking all the way around the dam 11.8 klm on the gps.I hooked 4 fish but could not stay conected. The green & gold celta just woulden't stay hooked.Apart from cold fingers,ears & nose i still enjoyed myself.

I had all my luck on anzac day, 7 landed 4 droped all were rainbows. That day i walked all the way around the dam as well greate exercise in between landing fish.

I added some pics of the larger trout the other fish were only small about 25 to 30 cm

post-6149-1209956271_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1209956226_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1209955772_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1209955707_thumb.jpg

Hi Jimnicdusty

We did notice some other crazy person on the other side of the dam between snow falls, great pics from anzac day

Cheers

Brad

Thinking of heading down there in a few week but ive never fished for trout before, qiuck question are you alowed to put your boat on the water there and if so does someone have a map of the ramp or pic's thanks guys.

Thinking of heading down there in a few week but ive never fished for trout before, qiuck question are you alowed to put your boat on the water there and if so does someone have a map of the ramp or pic's thanks guys.

No boating at all allowed on Thommos mate. Foot power only! :biggrin2:

Good luck when you fish it.

Cheers,

Grant.

No boating at all allowed on Thommos mate. Foot power only! :biggrin2:

Good luck when you fish it.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks Grant,

Looks like foot power will be the go then cheers. :1fishing1: