Lead For Making Sinkers

glennmreid

I want to make my own lead sinkers. Anyone know where I can get hold of lead?

Try your tyre fitting shops.

They use lead for doing wheel balances and sometimes have damaged pieces available for scrap.

Obviously old lead acid batteries if you can get a hold of them but be very careful of the acid. Use rubber gloves, protective clothing and eye safety goggles.

You may also find it at demolition yards, used in old roofs before.

I want to make my own lead sinkers. Anyone know where I can get hold of lead?

Glen

I hope you ment cheap lead.

I would like to know that myself as the price at the scrap lead is around the $3.20

It's a dam site more than the $1.30 you would have payed six months ago may be should have bought a few tons back then.

cheers

bob

A lot of modern batteries contain alloys of things you just don't want to deal with. Heating calcium lead etc is possibly explosive and can cause large bubbles of gas. Acid is dangerous to play with and correct disposal is impossible domestically.

Don't use modern batteries - even the professional plants are having trouble.

Lead tyre wieghts and flashing or old lead pipe etc are all sort of ok but be very careful of fumes as alot was never pure enough originally to be used for other purposes.

Pel

We used old flashing once and boy did that rubber shit they have with it cause some toxic fumes :puke:

I used to make them all the time and I think it is not worth the risk with lead fumes being quite toxic and enters the blood stream :thumbdown:

Let the experts make em ,I mean how many do you actually lose ??? and as already stated the price of lead is now prohibitive to making cheap sinkers.

Cheers Stewy

Have a looky here and make up your own mind :1yikes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

We used old flashing once and boy did that rubber shit they have with it cause some toxic fumes :puke:

I used to make them all the time and I think it is not worth the risk with lead fumes being quite toxic and enters the blood stream :thumbdown:

Let the experts make em ,I mean how many do you actually lose ??? and as already stated the price of lead is now prohibitive to making cheap sinkers.

Cheers Stewy

Have a looky here and make up your own mind :1yikes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

Stewy you have to steal it of very old churches and terraces ( they just think it is a possum on their roof and they expect leaks as they are old buildings) in paddington not spec homes in the suburbs!!!!.

Much of the recent stuff is more zinc than lead so it is compatable with colourbond. You might have got lucky and had some bitchum backed stufff they used as dampcourse- mmmm love that freshly layed road smell.

You are right it is very hard to do safely and if you have young kids that play on the grass you do it over I wouldn't. mates who worked at the smelter in Alexandria even with all the ventilation and proctective suits etc still had elevated lead and would be given a special diet etc etc so as not to raise abnormal birth rate.. Absorbed via skin and fumes or dust. Big scandel going on at Mount Isa as well over what safe background levels are. Obviously handelling molten metal is dangerous.

Edited by pelican

Be careful when using tire weights and always use gloves and an approved breathing apparatus, as one of the components of the lead they use in tire weights is arsenic, so the fumes are quite toxic. The days of buying cheap lead from the scrap yard are gone, the price has gone up dramatically and most yards wont sell to you unless you are a registered business with an ABN number.

The ducks nuts for making sinkers has to be lead shot. The stuff they use in shotguns. It gets sold in five and ten kilo bags.

We used to use a fare bit of it when balancing Lifts and for some reason there always seemed to be some left over. :1prop:

As stated but the price has become prohibitive.

Dave