Bait Board - Need Spec Info!

shefford

Recently acquired a new boat see below:

dsc01620pa5.jpg

And am in the process of upgrading it, implementing new things to improve my fishing experience.

One major thing we want to get right straight away is a bait board, we are using crappy buckets and plastic like plates to get the job done atm, but it's really messy and bad on my knifes.

We decided to fish out of it for a month to see what was really needed, without cutting up the boat and spending too much money that could be used on FUEL!

My dad owns a building company and has alot of steel/aluminum suppliers, so we are going to make one from aluminum/galv or perhaps stainless steel? bit worried about the weight

So we are looking at drawing one up to fit across the transform of the boat.

What are good aspects we should include in a bait board?

- rod holders? - strength issue what if i hook up on a big fish trolling? have 8 other rod holders for trolling so prob wouldn't need i dont think.

- plastic board

- storage/live bait tank under the board itself? to hold small yellowtail, pillies

- single or dual mounted?

- material: want to use aluminum/steel, considered using marine ply and glassing/panting it, easier to compose but would eventually rot and grow mold/algi. I'm assuming.

- other?

Would love some info, on your own bait boards even if you bought them commercially out of somthing like your local tackle chain place for example.

Ps - Not really looking for the bait board that your local tackle chain sells: pre mounted and molded, looks tacky and feels pretty flimsy to be honest! Would rather take advantage of steel/aluminum.

Edited by iricangi

Recently acquired a new boat see below:

dsc01620pa5.jpg

And am in the process of upgrading it, implementing new things to improve my fishing experience.

One major thing we want to get right straight away is a bait board, we are using crappy buckets and plastic like plates to get the job done atm, but it's really messy and bad on my knifes.

We decided to fish out of it for a month to see what was really needed, without cutting up the boat and spending too much money that could be used on FUEL!

My dad owns a building company and has alot of steel/aluminum suppliers, so we are going to make one from aluminum/galv or perhaps stainless steel? bit worried about the weight

So we are looking at drawing one up to fit across the transform of the boat.

What are good aspects we should include in a bait board?

- rod holders? - strength issue what if i hook up on a big fish trolling? have 8 other rod holders for trolling so prob wouldn't need i dont think.

- plastic board

- storage/live bait tank under the board itself? to hold small yellowtail, pillies

- single or dual mounted?

- material: want to use aluminum/steel, considered using marine ply and glassing/panting it, easier to compose but would eventually rot and grow mold/algi. I'm assuming.

- other?

Would love some info, on your own bait boards even if you bought them commercially out of somthing like your local tackle chain place for example.

Ps - Not really looking for the bait board that your local tackle chain sells: pre mounted and molded, looks tacky and feels pretty flimsy to be honest! Would rather take advantage of steel/aluminum.

Iricangi.....

If you can.... take advantage of getting one made out of aluminium just for the weight factor alone...

with a cutting board inserted these are readily available at any size measurements through any kitchen manufactuer for excample

there was a recent topic on cutting boards advising were they are available etc just do a search...

a drainage point is a nescessity and placed in a back corner and as tonyt suggested wether this be directed into your burly bucket or just allowed to drip over the back transon this will help in keeping the cutting board free of blood and mush etc..a chanell around the cutting board is helpfull to direct all this gunk and a raised

section on the back and sides is the norm this help in contains the bait or knives on the board from falling off as the boat moves from side to side a couple off notches at the back to place the knifes upright in

becomes handy and as you stated a draw under for nic nac's etc is allways handy...

Two things of importance and crucial to be aware of.... is a comfortable working height

and make sure it is rigid and sturdy for if you need to grab it when off balance the last thing you want is for it

to come away from it's mounting position in your hands

Cheers Warnie..

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up using an old board 1 of my mates had lying around and just shoved a $10 board onto it for the time being, and put little brackets to sit it on the gunwale....

Does fine for now!

I spent the money I saved on renewing some Safety Equipment and a new bilge pump :1yikes:

This is my baitboard that i built for my Haines Signature 492F

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showpost....amp;postcount=8

From this thread

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=68873

And if you log into the old achieve found here this is a large thread

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1159823596/0

I have the name of the company that i bought the board from in Sydney so please IM me

Edited by impulse