Cooks Is On Fire

Dan and myself decided to go for a plastic session on the Cooks to see if we could get him his first soft plastic Jewie.

Arrived around 6 am and went straight at the jew spots ,I got a good hit and was pleased to get PB on plastics of a 65 cm flathead.

post-256-1210141255_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141269_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141282_thumb.jpg

Pretty pleased with such a good start we kept firing the bigger plastic at prime spots and you bloody beauty,Dan comes up tight on a good fish and some great runs and head shakes and bugger me if he hasnt got himself a 70 cm schoolie :yahoo: I was over the moon for him and his face said it all and the duck had been well and truly broken.

post-256-1210141296_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141309_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141324_thumb.jpg

With these two great fish under our belt we decided to give the breambos a go as well and we werent dissapointed with plenty of quality bream and flathead hitting our gulp offerings.

post-256-1210141381_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141396_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141412_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141426_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141442_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141455_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141469_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141487_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141501_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141515_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141578_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141594_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141607_thumb.jpg

post-256-1210141644_thumb.jpg

We lost a couple of horses to some snags and they were big fish as well,shit happens.

Pulled up stumps around 2 pm satisfied with our efforts once more.

Big congratulations to you Dan on scoring your first soft plastic Jewie and now the flood gates will open.

All fish caught were released unharmed to fight another day :biggrin2:

Lets Get Some !!!!!!

Cheers Stewy

What a brilliant session! :thumbup:

Yet more PB's for the both of you. :1yikes: Well done on the lizard Stew, and a huge congrats to Dan on a great looking Jewie :clapping::clapping: You boys are definitely on a roll!

Keep the reports coming and the PB's tumbling!

Hodgey

Well done guys dynamic duo always bringing the goodies nice flattie Stewy :D

also congratulations to Dan on prized Jewie :1worthy: i cant wait till i brain the

cooks with you guys :1fishing1: top stuff guys :1clap:

Cheers

Rizzo :biggrin2:

Wow nice fish there mate.

I live in the marrickville area and Didnt realise Cooks river had so many fish. :wacko:

Might take the kids there on the weekend, where do you recommend I'll be land based?

Congrats on your jewie, beautiful fish.

I think u guys are on fire :thumbup:

Congrats to Dan on his duck breaking Jew and ur pb Flatty as well :1yikes:

penguin

Where abouts were you getting the bream, flathead and jewfish? Has the area close to the entrance to Botany Bay produced? Around the bridge which trains go over.

Where abouts were you getting the bream, flathead and jewfish? Has the area close to the entrance to Botany Bay produced? Around the bridge which trains go over.

Thats the one and the first bridge is producing plenty at the airport at General Holmes Drive.

Cheers Stewy

Mate, what a cracker session :yahoo:

It was great to see some great fish landed today, Stewy's flatty was a brute, it went like the clappers. congrats again on your PB dude :thumbup:

I'm bloody wrapped, I've been fishin for Jews for about 18 months, and had absolutly no luck, i've pulled hooks and been busted off but just couldn't land one, and now to land two in two days? go figure :wacko:

Chopper75, I pulled the hooks on a big headshakin fish under the rail bridge this mornin, I didn't see any colour, but it played up like the first Jewie, either that or a big lizard.

Thanks for yet another top day on the cooks mate.

Cheers

Dan

Another great session from the Cooks. :thumbup:

Fantastic session boys. Makes me wish I was there.

Big :thumbup: on your lizard Stewy. Bloody hell Dan, how's your form?!! 2 Jew in in less than 24hrs from 2 very different spots! Mate, you're smokin! :smoke:

I take my hat off to you. :1worthy::1worthy:

Top stuff fellas.

Cheers,

Grant.

Another brilliant post with all guns blazing Stewy and Dan...this on top of beach jews and thumping trout....when does the DVD come out boys? :thumbup:

Superb read and view once again!

Cheers Rob

Well done guys :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Good on you Dan on the first jew, im still waiting for my better half to take me after the jews.

Hey guys tell me something i always go over the cooks river and see alot of people fish it,

do you take the fish home and eat it?????????

Well done guys :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Good on you Dan on the first jew, im still waiting for my better half to take me after the jews.

Hey guys tell me something i always go over the cooks river and see alot of people fish it,

do you take the fish home and eat it?????????

NOOOOOOOOO :thumbdown:

Neither Stewy or I keep very much fish at all, and cetainly not out of the Cooks, Its a great little fishery, but it is pretty filthy and smells a bit too :puke:

Though you see quite a few people fishing the banks with the intention of gettin a feed, just not for me I'm afraid

Dan

Top fishing Stewy and Dan. :thumbup:

I tell you what Stewy and Dan, after this result yesterday and your session the other week, the Cooks river looks to be a real attraction for school jew at the moment. Chris (Waterrat), a member a Botany Bay water police, rang me on Monday to tell me that some land based jew fishermen got three jew over a kilometre or so up the Cooks River around seven and eight kilos, which they showed them in the early morning when they pulled in. It's looks as though the same size jew, being caught off the beach are starting to come into the Bay and are schooling up in Cooks River.

I fished with Barker yesterday and Barker and I left the Motor boat club at 2.30 am heading for the Cooks till daybreak before spending the rest of the day in the Bay. However on our way to fish the Cooks River, we decided to fish the last of the run out at CC Bridge afer we saw Taren Point Julius and a couple of his landbased friends still waiting on for the jew after a no result from a late afternoon start. Just as the land based boys, we ourselves fished on till day break and the only action we saw was a few tailor enjoying themselves about 5am and there were no signs of any jew or any other fish for that matter.

We had the worst day ever as did the other Botany Bay boats anchored around the Yarra Bay side of Molineaux after the chop conditions sudenly came up around 10am or so. As we did, all the other boats fishing the Bay anchored up when the chop produced whites and made fishing the Bay too uncomfortable and the fishing went dead, not meaning that it was alive at any stage.

We finished up going back and fished around CC bridge again from around 11am till 2pm, again without having a bait even touched except for a few rod tip flick backs typicall of eel bites, and minor bait shredding .

When we got back to The Motor Boat Club around 3pm there were other boats coming in that had a shocking day in all types of Bay and fishing river areas as well. Nobody could even find any yellowtail whatsover with some club members even fishing the main Molineaux bait grounds and around Yarra Bay from before daybreak on.

Have to say that's top angling!! Stewy I reckon Barker and I made a mistake by starting off at CC Bridge and underestimating the little Cooks River :1yikes:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi there,

The Cooks river has a few good fish up there hiding away from time to time. I drop down there once a week to check it out & have a flick from the shores.

Some of my best bream have come from there. Some time ago, my friend & I caught a few large Trev's which must of been what seemed lost up there for a week or so. It certainly gave my friend & I a good time on our light gear. Some were over 45 cm. Also the odd small Jew are as far up here as Marrickville.

Some people may beg to differ, although I only catch & release as there may be a problem with toxins up the river this far.

Go the Gulp plastics!

Regards Pafisho

Stewy your fishin in my old backyard there buddy, that last spot and your well past the trains at Tempe! :1prop:

I was gettin breanm to 3 and 3.5lb on white sandwhich bread on my luderick rod, we were gettin aheap of blackies well past there you really shouldtie up to the plyons of some those bridges and fish some weed in the cool weather there was one year there we got over a 1000 fish in 3 months fishing 3 days a week i was at Uni then we got sick of it they were that thick all C&R.

i will remind the doubters yes theriver is polluted but damn she dishes well and i usedto fish ti every week 3 or 4 times landbased after work the bike tracks and acess plus structure provide awesome Sp and bait fishing.

my father remebers seeing trevaly as far up as Campsie in the 60's on a king tide whre it becomes a canal at Brighton Ave.

As for fishing well remeber this river was once dammed in the early 1900's and became a cesspool with no tidal flow itwas also once so clean it hadsandy beaches at Marrickville and Canterbury with Life saving clubs on its banks!

Anyone wants in depth info on theupper reaches and the much overlooked Wooli creek Pm me

Cheers

Royce.

P.s well done Stewy and Dan therivers still holdin can't wait to get back andhit my old grounds

leavesome for me huh!

Nice fish guys!

For those that are asking about keeping fish from the Cooks, I personally think you would be mad to eat a resident fish out of there. The Alexandra canal (off the Cooks along Qantas drive) is considered the most toxic canal in the southern hemisphere, see here:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/water-issues/pr...8743249028.html

and I quote:

"The Alexandra Canal, a four-kilometre man-made waterway that was once used for disposing of industrial waste, has had a "do not disturb" direction on it for at least 10 years, and has had a complete fishing ban since 2000 because of the contamination."

The crazy thing is I see people keeping fish from that area (ie out the front of the rowers club, and further upstream), and worse still, slalom waterskiing right at the mouth of the canal! I'll pass on a mouthfull of that water!

Cheers,

Ben.