Which Overhead Rod ?

stylo

I am after an overhead rod in the 8-10 kilo range ... Main priority is that it has to be cheap and nasty - I guess up to 70 bucks ..

It is for an overhead reel running 20lb mono. It will be a land based rod so i guess anywhere from 6'6" - 8' ft will fit the bill.

2 piece would be highly recommended, but i have not seen many 2 piece overhead rods available, especially in that length.

Can you guys recommend anything for me ?

hi stylo

i have a ohd70a 7' med action 1pc 4-10 kg ugly stik i use for live baiting its not a bad rod for a cheapy only $68

here is afew more

ugly stik ohd66a 6'6 med action 8-12kg 1pc $68

penn powerstick pps6601ohbm 6'6 8-10kg $49.95

pps7001ohbm 7' 8-10kg $59.95

most over heads are one peice i have found anyway

hope this helps in some way

jim

Silstar make some good cheap rods, I suggest you look at their range. Second hand might be a good option too.

PS, why 6'6'' to 8' for landbased? Most overhead casting rods are at least 10'. or are you livebaiting?

Any reason they are mainly made as 1 piece ? I am guessing a smaller market as compared to spin sticks ?

Thanks for those model numbers mate, will go check them out. I have actually seen a fair few uglystiks that fit the bill.

Hey Billfisher, it will be for livebaiting yakkas, squid - not luring. I mention 7-8 foot because that is what I currently use in my spin gear off wharfs and landbased in general .. I don't do any beach fishing so have never used anything 8 ft or over.

Do you mind explaining why they are usually in the longer length ?? I know a lot of overheads are in the super short range for trolling and fishing off boats etc.

Hey Billfisher, it will be for livebaiting yakkas, squid - not luring. I mention 7-8 foot because that is what I currently use in my spin gear off wharfs and landbased in general .. I don't do any beach fishing so have never used anything 8 ft or over.

Do you mind explaining why they are usually in the longer length ?? I know a lot of overheads are in the super short range for trolling and fishing off boats etc.

You will get much greater casting distance with a 10' + rod due to the physics involved. It also helps clearing breakers and rocks. Under 8' is fine for livebaiting for most locations as casting distance is not a priority.

PS, are you livebaiting off the ocean rocks? 20lb line is rather light if you tangle with kingies.

Not off the rocks, just off wharves etc. hence I only have the shorter spin rods at this stage .. I normally use 12lb where I fish and it has done the job - not too many snaggy bits to get rubbed off on.

Bought the overhead reel and it's not ever been used .. so I thought I better get a rod on it quicksmart !

I will consider a longer rod actually, but don't think it will be much use to me off the wharf. Might actually make landing fish harder. Thanks for the tips ..

Stylo are you trying for Jews or Kings ?

Nothing in particular - just a general purpose rod. Have been able to take on school jew and salmon with 8kg rod so thinking any larger or should a king come round, 10kg might be my best bet.