Bilge Pump

shefford

Hey guys

Looking to install a bilge pump in my boat and would like some info on your setups, what you used.

What brands should I be looking at buying, and looking at some on websites it doesn't look like they come with any fittings...Can anyone suggest any reading materials based on these pumps.

Question: Do i need to install 1 in the main hull, and one ontop of the main floor?

Have a 6 meter boat and a 12V battery, do i need to get another battery and dual run them, or does the bilge pump run on relatively low voltage.

:1badmood:

Just fishing for ideas, hints before I make a fool of myself at a boating store.

Hey guys

Looking to install a bilge pump in my boat and would like some info on your setups, what you used.

What brands should I be looking at buying, and looking at some on websites it doesn't look like they come with any fittings...Can anyone suggest any reading materials based on these pumps.

Question: Do i need to install 1 in the main hull, and one ontop of the main floor?

Have a 6 meter boat and a 12V battery, do i need to get another battery and dual run them, or does the bilge pump run on relatively low voltage.

:1badmood:

Just fishing for ideas, hints before I make a fool of myself at a boating store.

Iricangi..

One brand of pump that i could suggest for you is the Rule brand....

a boat your size would as a rule (no pun intended) have a pump fitted of around a 500 gph to 1000gph

but with bilge pumps i feel this is one area were the bigger can be better rule can apply...

some boat's have 1500gph and bigger fitted so just for in the event if required a lot of water can be pumped

out of the bilge quickly......

you can include rule-a-matic switches to pump out water automaticly on detection in the bilge if required and coupled with a

3 way switch panel is a good and reliable method...how ever a lot of boats simply have there pumps hooked up to a

switch on a panel on the dash and is simply activated when required...

Your current battery that you are running on board should be able to handle the addition of a bilge pump with no problem...

but having a duel battery setup regardless of fitting a bilge pump particulary if venturing outside is a good

and practicable idea all the same and is highly recommended.....

not quite sure what you mean in regards to your question of fitting a pump above the floor ..

fitting instruction's come with the packaging in the pumps and is easy and straight foreward to do...

your local boat shop generally carries any bit's and pieces, and hose necessery to be able to install a bilge pump and set it up....

Cheers Warnie....