Battery For Elctric Motor

Jeremy

Hi guys,

I bought a electric motor for my kayak its a 34lb Jarvis marine watersnake, it draws 12v 34a, i was wondering if any other canoe or kayakers has attached a motor and what battery they used,

I am trying to find a battery suitable that doesn't weight 40kg that will run my motor for around 2hr

all help appreciated

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hi guys,

I bought a electric motor for my kayak its a 34lb Jarvis marine watersnake, it draws 12v 34a, i was wondering if any other canoe or kayakers has attached a motor and what battery they used,

I am trying to find a battery suitable that doesn't weight 40kg that will run my motor for around 2hr

all help appreciated

Thanks,

Jeremy

PM sent

• 4 months later...

A lot of guys I know use delcor 100amp/hr sealed batteries

I think they weigh around 30kg which shouldnt be a problem in your boat as long as you mount it in the centerline of the boat

I dont know anywhere on the northern beaches

Hi Jeremy1. Stewy Swordfisherman recommended a 100 amp hour Delcor to me when I was toying with the idea of fitting a 56lbs Minn Kota to the bow of my alloy 4.6m Savage side console. Stewy uses a Delcor 100 amp hour on his 4.1m Polycraft and he would know what battery works best. If it weighs around 30kgs and your looking towards a mamimum of 40kgs it figures that the Delcor at around 30kgs would be light enough for your kayak and would give you a good range.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Depending on what charger you currently own make sure you get the correct one for your battery type. No use wrecking a good new battery with a crap charger. Good charging and selecting the right size to start with will give the longest service life.

You’re a veritable font of information, Carl! :biggrin2::thumbup:

Hodgey

Thanks Hodgey,

Always happy to pass on details of a supplier that has provided the information, product and back up service in a no nonsense way.

I gave Energy matters my application needs, and they supplied me 10 of the 260 amp Fullriver lead gel sealed batteries.

From replacing a standard 200 amp battery pretty well every 2 to 4 weeks previously, I have had these 10 batteries since January 2007 and am yet to have a single concern.

N.B. They have chargers, solar panels, fittings, etc, etc.....

Cheers

Carl

Edited by Mariner 31

• 2 months later...