Anyone Need Help Fishing Port Hacking

cut_loose

guys i made this up a while a go i hope you enjoy it

Port Hacking And Bate Bay

What Fish To Catch

Bass,Whitting,Flathead,Flounder,Mullet,Bream,Snapp er,Salmon,Tailor,Jewfish,Yellowtail,Morwong,Red Rock Cod,trevally,blackfish And Much Much More

Where And What is Port Hacking

Port Hacking is in the southern outskirts of Sydney and in a place called Sutherland Shire,It is a clean little waterway filled with deep bays,Sandflats and a ocean bay called bate bay.

Deep Bay

Fishing in the deep bays you seem to be catching all those little snapper and bream in the deep

water but then sometimes you will catch trevally,flathead,whitting, and more. The key is to find the deep holes, try around morred boat and it paids off sometimes to fish close to shore,if you are gonig to fish the deeper waters in the hacking you cannot underestimate the importance of a strong berley trail.

post-7089-1210770477_thumb.jpg

post-7089-1210770505_thumb.jpg

PortHacking25.jpg

What Rigs To Use In Deep Bays

Snapper/Bream, For snapper and bream,it is best to use a small ball sinker with a small long shank hook with a piece of pichard prawn.

Flathead,It is best to use a small ball sinker on a 1meter dropper to a 2/0 long shank hook, the best baits are live tailor,yellowtail and mullet but you can also use prawns and pichards.

Trevally,it is best to have a 5/0 long shank hook with 3 slit shot sinkers and just float it out the back of the boat with a little livie.

Deep Water Night Rigs, three extra heavy duty snelled 8/0s on eighty pound line hanging off a couple of big yellowtail

Fishing The Sandflats

Fishing on the flatflats you are in the best spot for whiting,Also on the sandflats you can pump for yabbie for whiting bait. mmmmm a good sand flat is the one a mainbar, its has loads of whiting and yabbies

100_04151.jpg

What rigs to use on the sandflats

For whiting i like to use a small ball sinker on a 0.5 meter dropper down to 3 red beans and some tubing and then a 8 long shank hook.

Fishing Bate Bay

Fishing bate bay is great,it is full of fish, You can catch there snapper,flathead,red rock cod,salmon,tailor,and more, it can get to 60+ meters deep.One of many reefs is merries reef,there you can catch some great parrot fish and many other reef fish. There is some waters of jibbion in about 14 meters of water that hold leatherjacket and the odd flathead. boat harbour is great for snapper, and floaters a jibbion bommie we get you a kingie in the summer time

FISHING325.jpg

What rig to use in bate bay

For all fish in bate bay i like to use a paternoster rig with one 2/0 long shank hook and on 3/0 suicide hook and a 4oz sinker and prawns,pichards or live bait for bait and you be catching fish before you know it.

Fishing in the weed for blackfish

When in port hacking you can have a fish for blackfish in weedbeds under a float with 2 slit shots and a No8 hook with some fresh weed and you will be catching blackfish in no time

Here are some tips from some of my mates at a other fishing forum

1.Fishing Port Hacking

I started fishing Port Hacking a very long time ago and lived on the river for some years. It is a lovely clean, clear river to fish but you have to know your spots.

The Ballast Heap has always been good for me but "no run no fun" applies. Fish light for whiting and bream plus the odd flathead.

Any of the channel marker poles toward Lilli Pilli often have a flathead or two alongside, use plastics to try.

The flats at Lilli Pilli can fish well for bream, especially at night.Use a long trace and fish as light as possible.

If you pump nippers on the flats at Mainbar try pumping on a rising tide using a sieve to drop the pumped sand in. Whilst you are doing that place a rod holder in the sand and baiting up with a nipper fish the area that you are working over. You will be suprised how often you will catch sizeable whiting almost at your feet.

Finally, I have not tried this myself but have it on good authority that fishing plastics around the RMYC marina is good for bream. I had a boat on the marina for many years and can tell you that there were often monster bream hanging around boats that had a bit of growth on them.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

2.There are some bays around deer park

where i anchor up in 4 to 6 mts of water make a berley trail

then i throw some light lines out with little or no weight i leave the bail

arm open this will catch bream big ones its a lot of fun

some info added thanks too jewgaffer and tumra

thanks for reading guys

cheers,

Edited by cut_loose

Hi Cut Loose. As to that big 8/0 long shank rig you mention using on those big whiting up there, better make the deep water night rigs three extra heavy duty snelled 8/0s on eighty pound line hanging off a couple of big yellowtail to stir up those other big silver livies up there :1yikes::D

Nice work Cut Loose and plenty of good effort put into as well. :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Great write up there cut loose. I would like to add one more thing to your list. If you are gonig to fish the deeper waters in the hacking you cannot underestimate the importance of a strong berley trail. I find the fishing is alot slower to non existant if the berley isnt being used. A bucket full of chicken feed and old crushed pilchards / fish guts, frozen over night and thrown over the side to slowly release during the day works for me.

Also i notice that the majority of boaters in the hacking head straight for the open ocean, when some of the best fishing can be done in the river itself. Yowie bay and Gymea bay are common haunts of mine and have been fishing well with large tailor, bream and trevally being caught.

Good luck fishing out there...

Hi cut loose,

great post,

some good info there on a river system that can be very difficult to crack.

i normally fish gunamutta and burraneer bay and occasionally towards jibbon beach and mainbar flats, for flathead, bream and whiting.

I have spent a number of yrs learning the river and it is now that i can catch a

few legal fish on most outings.

I must admit that most of my luck comes during the summer.

But i would love to hear your opinion on some areas to try during the winter (for the above species)?

In addition, a lot of people talk about the sth west arm, but it has never produced a fish for me,

got any tips ?

Anyway, a top report, that will assist many.

Mr RB.

Edited by Mr Rosebay

Hi cut loose,

great post,

some good info there on a river system that can be very difficult to crack.

i normally fish gunamutta and burraneer bay and occasionally towards jibbon beach and mainbar flats, for flathead, bream and whiting.

I have spent a number of yrs learning the river and it is now that i can catch a

few legal fish on most outings.

I must admit that most of my luck comes during the summer.

But i would love to hear your opinion on some areas to try during the winter (for the above species)?

In addition, a lot of people talk about the sth west arm, but it has never produced a fish for me,

got any tips ?

Anyway, a top report, that will assist many.

Mr RB.

hi mate,

yes i am the same, i have heard heeps about about south west arm BUT i never catch any fish there but little tiny snapper,

i fish the same areas as you, i have been fishing there for over 2 years now and i have a few little spots in there that i can get some good fish , on my trips i catch a few legals,

what boat do you have, i might see you out there one day B)

i reakon lota peeps reakon summer is the time too catch all the fish, well, my best fish have come from winter :yahoo: and there for i reakon it fishes better this time a year,my p.b flathead 61cms, p.b bream 35cms and p.b snapper 32cms have all come from the hacking area around winter

:thumbup:

cheers,

Edited by cut_loose