Game Reels

Just wondering what Game Reels you have whether they be TLDs, Tiagras or Internationals. What sizes do you all have? What line class do you run off them? And what are your experiences in performance with said reel/s?

Guest Big-Banana

I've stuck true to Shimano, have a range of 50's, 30's, 25's and a 20. They are all brilliant!!!

The model number is indicative of the line which should be running off them in pounds. Thats the best way to get the most of your reel.

Edited by Big-Banana

Im definately a Tiagra man, I have owned TLD's but have heard some horror stories from some Charter operators with TLD's and also seen a TLD 30 smokin on a decent size marlin....

I have 2 x Tiagras, 1 x 30a Tiagra which is used for YFT fishing and a 50w for marlin fishing. I used to own four Tiagras but sold the other 2 due to non usage.

But these days i mainly use a Stella 20000 for YFT and Marlin

Edited by netic

Big-Banana i understand that, but i was wondering if anyone used another line class indicative of the reels use maybe a lighter class on a heavier reel not like 15kg on a 50w lol. Nectic how do you find the Stella heard nothing but great reports.

• 2 months later...

My new set up for LBG around Jervis Bay is a TLD 50 with 800m of 15kg Tortue and a 150m top shot of 24kg on a Aftco roller tip shimarno rod.. Havnt landed anythn yet but hooked up at Eves last week. Spat the hook after the first run! Dam!! Keen to get back out but the weather isnt the best!

Yeah, good question... just run it all at 24 or all at 15 mate, espeically if its only 150m, if you are fishing LBG thats not alot of line as I am sure you know, rub off on the stones or reefs...?

Cheers

Ben

I have a full set of Tiagra's ranging from the little 12 to the tiagra 50.

We do alot of shark fishing off Sydney so we set up our reels accordingly to fit the most line on possible.

we run Tiagra 12's with 4kg line, Tiagra 16's with 6kg line, Tiagra 20's with 8kg line , Tiagra 30's for 10kg, Tiagra 50's for 15kg line and tiagra 50w for 24kg.

This set up allows us to get 1000m of maxima line onto each reel.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't anyone own a Penn?

Similarly, I have TLD's for 8,10 & 15Kg then Tiagra 50W which has not touched the water yet. First time for me to go for anything over 15Kg. Hopefully will get to use it shortly.

• 2 months later...