What Is This Fish It Has Wings And Legs ?(Red Gurnard)

hoges1974

Question

17 answers to this question

Mate, it is one of the Gurnards, it is generally called a Flying Gurnard but technically i think its accepeted common name is the Red Gurnard. It is very similar to the lachet (Sharp- beaked Gurnard) they are excellent eating (firm white sweet flesh) but generally you need a decent version to get a fillet that is worthwhile.

Hoges I don't know what else that one would be useful for, other than for bait for its mother :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

With the noises it was making i couldn't get it back over quick enough lol sounded very very angry

Mate caught this in the bay last night never seen anything like it

Heres a few pics to verify your catch

Cheers

A Red Gurnard caught on hook and line by R. Hungerford, at a depth of 50 m, 2 km east of Lurline Bay, Sydney, New South Wales, November 2006. Photo © I. Graham.

A Red Gurnard caught on hook and line off Sydney Heads, New South Wales, March 2002. Photo: J. Pogonoski

A Red Gurnard at a depth of 2 m in tidal waters at the mouth of the Minnamurra River, New South Wales, January 2007. Photo © S. Schulz.

Edited by Mariner 31

Thanks boys i thought it was some sort of freak from the cooks river lol

very good eating nice white meat, close related to the seargent baker if not a baker itself.

Meat is consistent if not better than flat head meat.

I said to my mate i bet we throw this back and everyone says they are great eating fish

With the noises it was making i was to scared to touch it so eating it was out of the question

I used to see heaps of these out from Ulladulla Harbour back in the 80's (dam I feel old now), they'd pop out out of the water and fly for about 5 meters or so before ducking back under....they look wicked....haven't seen any for years though.

Definitely a gurnard,

As penguin said I was the same ,back in NZ they were a welcome bycatch when we were snapper fishing as they are definitely one of the best table fish in the sea,they generally like the colder water of the west coast of nz and can grow up to 80cm in length and usually live over mud or sandy areas and are quite partial to shellfish .

Im yet to catch one in australia though and am surprised they are even here as the one pictured is identical to what we caught in NZ.

Well done.