Tuna Cubing

Hi all,

Just a question, how far back down the trail do you guys float down your baits when cubing?

Cheers

LUke

Around 50 0r 60 metres and then if you have no hit leave it there for a while in the rod holder.

If you check your bait give the rod a firm yank and the old pillie will fall off and you start with a fresh one.

Thats how we do it anyways.

Cheers Stewy

i like to vary the distance down the cube trail just in case fish are hanging back and not following up the trail,couple of weeks back in bermi i got a couple of fish with probably more than a 100 out, gotta remember though if there good fish you are given them a head start

i do reckon 50 to 60 is about average drift back but every now and again send back a long one just in case

cheers arman

Gday,

can I ask 2 quick question while on cubing?

We went out on Saturday for Zero's, I think we did everything right but no luck. The only thing I think we did wrong was add Tuna oil and some of that fish stimulate to our cubing bucket which meant all our pillies where coated with it as they floated back.

Is it best recommended to add these attractants to them or leave the pillies alone and just send them out like that.

The other question I have, once you start your cubing and you have been at it for an hr or so, is it too late to move again to try another spot? or do you just persist? the only problem with moving that I see is you never know if the next handful is going to give you that magic run or not

Cheers

Peahead

Gday,

can I ask 2 quick question while on cubing?

We went out on Saturday for Zero's, I think we did everything right but no luck. The only thing I think we did wrong was add Tuna oil and some of that fish stimulate to our cubing bucket which meant all our pillies where coated with it as they floated back.

Is it best recommended to add these attractants to them or leave the pillies alone and just send them out like that.

The other question I have, once you start your cubing and you have been at it for an hr or so, is it too late to move again to try another spot? or do you just persist? the only problem with moving that I see is you never know if the next handful is going to give you that magic run or not

Cheers

Peahead

Peahead...

you will find it will be said to do this, and use that, with particular ways of setting a trail for them....

i myself advocate and use good quality pillies to lay down a trail

and use the best quality pillie you can source to go on the hook..

so normally that would involve a box of trap bait to lay the trail with and IQF pillies for the hook

nothing added to them...

the reason i would not add tuna oil is the obvious one in not wanting to unecesserely invite a shark onto

the scene which in the next month or so will start to become an issue unless of cause that is of no bother to you..

one word of advice i can offer with cubing that i like to do is to bring your bait the pillies up to the sea water temp...

a quick way to send y/fin on there way back to were they came from is to feed frozen pillies to them.....

as a rule were you first start to cube is were you stay untill the end...so make the first choice the best

informed one you can...

when they are around in numbers like they have been of late... the fact you break the trail and move elsewere

what you burley with, and how you present the bait to the fish is of no way as critical now say as it is when

the fish are not in as bigger numbers and being uncoperative...enjoy while the fish are around

Cheers Warnie...

.....one word of advice i can offer with cubing that i like to do is to bring your bait the pillies up to the sea water temp...

a quick way to send y/fin on there way back to were they came from is to feed frozen pillies to them.....

when they are around in numbers like they have been of late... the fact you break the trail and move elsewere

........ how you present the bait to the fish is of no way as critical now say as it is when

the fish are not in as bigger numbers and being uncoperative......

Cheers Warnie...

Hi Steve

All good Warnie. :thumbup: Your advice about keeping frozen bait down to water temperature is great advice!! Fish are often looking for falling bait etc and go in and sound it out. When the bait is frozen or even partly frozen, it's of the wrong temperature for the area as you said. It's highly likely all the risers will be turned off by the cold and ignore the baits.

It's a missed opportunity where the biggest fish that rushes in to take the prize, then susses out the take and backs away looking for something more natural in temperature at feeding time. I reckon that when they sense out a cold bait it's a taboo for the school or for the species for that matter. I find the best way to get my jew baits ready is to thaw the frozen baits out in the sun on the way out. Overdoing it in the sun a little is not a problem because the bait quickly adapts and goes down a couple of degrees as soon as it hits the water. Whereas a frozen bait or a partly frozen bait has to thaw out from the centre.

I often split whole squid open and sit them in the bait tank water as I certainly don't need my bait sussed out by jew on hitting the water and then left alone to thaw out. It's hard enough to get everything right as it is and it's quick and easy to get sun warmed bait down to water temperature than it is to get frozen or partly frozen bait up to sea water temperature or the cooler river water temperature.

Once again top information Steven. Members should take note of what you say on the importance of bringing frozen bait back to the sea water temperature so as to ensure fast and greedy takes from early lookers and particularly out wide it's imperative to hold the interest of the school. :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Totally agree with everything that has been said! :thumbup:

We mix our cubes up a lot. Along with good quality pillies, we add in slimy cubes (fresh is best and we try and catch a couple of extras at the bait grounds and if not jig them up out wider if you can find them), also striped tuna cubes (again fresh is best). As Warnie pointed out, too much oil and berley will attract the sharks - we never hit the pot when fishing for 'fin, however, Blue and Mako sharks will still come up a cube trail. In terms of timing, we always wait untill a cube has just gone out of sight before adding another, the exact timing varies with drift and current. Always set a live bait on your trail while cubing and stripping back baits and often a deep set livie is a good way to nail a bigger fish. We rarely move from our chosen spot once a trail is established.

XG.

Guest Big-Banana

All my hook baits are frozen!!! I've never had a problem with taking fish to 51kg this season :P

Each to their own.

I cube by ensuring I always see a cube in the trail.

Its quite easy to catch fish when the tuna are there in big numbers as they have been of late. It really didnt matter where youpulled up and how you cubed. Once you started, you were usually onto them pretty quick.

The point Warnie makes about frozen pillies is a good one.

Obviously, if you are fishing for bream and they are feeding only on black crabs, then throwing them a piece of squid, usually wont get the bite.

As with cubing, when the fish are not so common, you need to do many things right to maximise yoiur catch, or at least you chances.

To cube with pillies on the bait table that are obviously thawed and chopped, will definatley sink at a much different rate than a frozen pilly.

Frozen pillies tend to be more bouyant than thawed.

So, if the fish were in your trail, but were spooky and back a fair distance, they may not see your frozen pilly which has a very different sink rate to a thawed cube.

Its all about presentation in the end.

changa

Its quite easy to catch fish when the tuna are there in big numbers as they have been of late. It really didnt matter where youpulled up and how you cubed. Once you started, you were usually onto them pretty quick.

The point Warnie makes about frozen pillies is a good one.

Obviously, if you are fishing for bream and they are feeding only on black crabs, then throwing them a piece of squid, usually wont get the bite.

As with cubing, when the fish are not so common, you need to do many things right to maximise yoiur catch, or at least you chances.

To cube with pillies on the bait table that are obviously thawed and chopped, will definatley sink at a much different rate than a frozen pilly.

Frozen pillies tend to be more bouyant than thawed.

So, if the fish were in your trail, but were spooky and back a fair distance, they may not see your frozen pilly which has a very different sink rate to a thawed cube.

Its all about presentation in the end.

changa

Nice point comparing the numbers of late with "normal sydney fish numbers" and the way they are competing for whatever you put down thw trail as opposed to looking at every cube without fear of another fin snapping it up first!

Definately if you have a variety of different types of cubes this does help, in fact thats how the cubing technique evolved when the netters draged in there nets they seen the yellowfin feeding on the different types of fish falling out of the nets and when the nets were being sorted the by catch being thrown over the side. Another good technique I feel can make the difference is cube at the same rate and then every half hour or so stop the cubing only for a minute or so or depending how the current is racing and the intervals you have been cubing, and what this does, it makes the shy fish that may be hanging down the back of the trail out of range of your baits, become confused in what has happened to the steady food source and usually with there predatory habit they will proceed a lot faster up the trail to investigate. Like Warnie does we use the trap and other species of fish for cubing and WA for our baits. The day before we head out we take out our cubes and baits and let thaw overnight.

Cheers Dennis

Edited by Reel Game

Definately if you have a variety of different types of cubes this does help, in fact thats how the cubing technique evolved when the netters draged in there nets they seen the yellowfin feeding on the different types of fish falling out of the nets and when the nets were being sorted the by catch being thrown over the side. Another good technique I feel can make the difference is cube at the same rate and then every half hour or so stop the cubing only for a minute or so or depending how the current is racing and the intervals you have been cubing, and what this does, it makes the shy fish that may be hanging down the back of the trail out of range of your baits, become confused in what has happened to the steady food source and usually with there predatory habit they will proceed a lot faster up the trail to investigate. Like Warnie does we use the trap and other species of fish for cubing and WA for our baits. The day before we head out we take out our cubes and baits and let thaw overnight.

Cheers Dennis

Welcome Reel Game !!!! Nice to have you onboard...

Cheers Dennis

welcome aboard

cheers arman

Thanks for the welcoming guys good to be onboard.

Cheers Dennis

Yep......

I'm also glad to see your on board as well Dennis.... :1welcomeani:

But are you having an each way bet..... to as which boat your deciding to jump on with... :1prop:

Cheers Warnie

• 3 weeks later...