Mullet Trap

puka9988

hey raiders,

does any one have a few tips on how i can make a homemade mullet trap? just after something easy and cheap as i dont have money to go buy one.

also on where to place the trap?

thanks

stockoboy

hey raiders,

does any one have a few tips on how i can make a homemade mullet trap? just after something easy and cheap as i dont have money to go buy one.

also on where to place the trap?

thanks

stockoboy

Hey Stocko,

3 x 2 litre Coke bottles (or similar)

remove the label off one

cut the pouring end off all three and the base off the one you took the label off - so you end up with one open tube & 3 funnels.

Insert the inverted funnels into the 'tube' section.

either glue the funnels into place, or sew them in with copper wire (I have not yet found a durable bonding glue that lasts any length of time)

Take a soldering iron and poke lots of holes in the tube section (be careful of the plastic fumes), enough to allow free flow of water through the trap.

Through a couple of decent sinkers into the bottom of the trap ( or a handfull of stones) for negative bouyancy

put some water soaked bread into the trap & place it in the shallows - berly up around the trap with bread and as the bread in the trap breaks down, the fish will eventually find their way in.

has worked for me in the past!

Only problem with this trap is that it is pretty much a one off use, but it cost nothing to make !

play around with it, you might come up with something that is more servicable !

good luck

Grab a ice-cream container.....the larger the better

Put a rock in the bottom

Cover the top in cling wrap using elastic bands to hold the cling wrap tight over the top.

Put some bread or chook pellets under the cling wrap and poke a few holes in the top of the wrap with ur finger. Set it in the shallows away from structure as leather jackets and toads like 2 stray.

DONE

cheers james

Another idea (cheap/reusable)

Get yourself a square plastic container with lid (tupperware style)

A box of bread crumbs.

Cut a round hole in the centre of the lid,

Place bread crumbs in container with a rock, place lid with hole, on the container, gently submerse.

Grab a ice-cream container.....the larger the better

Put a rock in the bottom

Cover the top in cling wrap using elastic bands to hold the cling wrap tight over the top.

Put some bread or chook pellets under the cling wrap and poke a few holes in the top of the wrap with ur finger. Set it in the shallows away from structure as leather jackets and toads like 2 stray.

DONE

cheers james

thanks for the replies guys

iv read on other places that they only generally go into clear traps where the mullet can still see the bottom. would it matter with an icecream container?

Juice or cordial bottle with a two inch by one inch hole cut on one side. Cut back from the corners of the hole at 45 degrees then fold little flaps down on an angle.

Add rock or lead fill with bread and thats about it.

Dave

G'Day Stockoboy

Plenty of great suggestions above. I had a lot of success with a plastic goldfish bowl, with a piece of flyscreen across the top. The screen was held on by a rubber band around the lip of the bowl, and there was a hole in the centre of the screen roughly the size of a 50c coin.

In the end, I purchased a plastic colapsable fish trap for about $10. Works very well. and takes minimal room in the boat or your bag.

Hodgey

G'Day Stockoboy

Plenty of great suggestions above. I had a lot of success with a plastic goldfish bowl, with a piece of flyscreen across the top. The screen was held on by a rubber band around the lip of the bowl, and there was a hole in the centre of the screen roughly the size of a 50c coin.

In the end, I purchased a plastic colapsable fish trap for about $10. Works very well. and takes minimal room in the boat or your bag.

Hodgey

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Also when catching mullet do i have to be on the shores edge or can you drop it just off the side of your boat?

thanks

stockoboy

• 2 weeks later...

As Mentioned below by Tryhard these traps work really well. The only thing i used to do was seal the inverted ends using a stapler . That way you can undo the staples at one end to empty the mullet and restaple to start bait catching again....

Happy fishing ... John.

Hey Stocko,

3 x 2 litre Coke bottles (or similar)

remove the label off one

cut the pouring end off all three and the base off the one you took the label off - so you end up with one open tube & 3 funnels.

Insert the inverted funnels into the 'tube' section.

either glue the funnels into place, or sew them in with copper wire (I have not yet found a durable bonding glue that lasts any length of time)

Take a soldering iron and poke lots of holes in the tube section (be careful of the plastic fumes), enough to allow free flow of water through the trap.

Through a couple of decent sinkers into the bottom of the trap ( or a handfull of stones) for negative bouyancy

put some water soaked bread into the trap & place it in the shallows - berly up around the trap with bread and as the bread in the trap breaks down, the fish will eventually find their way in.

has worked for me in the past!

Only problem with this trap is that it is pretty much a one off use, but it cost nothing to make !

play around with it, you might come up with something that is more servicable !

good luck

• 2 months later...

thanks for the replies guys

iv read on other places that they only generally go into clear traps where the mullet can still see the bottom. would it matter with an icecream container?

Hey Stocko boy, like you It is better clear.For the past 20 years I have been using a fluro tube. Tie a piece of string soaked in mytho around one end and light it,when it stops burning just give it a tap and it breaks clean,fill tube with water and sand and shake it up then tip it out and presto clear tube.get a smooth stone from beach ,place it in tube with water and bread and slosh it around until milky and place it in water not deep so you can't see it and the poddies start swimming in after the milky bread, they can't turn around so it packs up like sardines in can.works every time.

Cheers Rick.