Length To Weight Estimates For Yellowfin Tuna

Given what is happening at the moment, I thought I would post this table to help everyone estimated the weight of their fish.

Source :http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PFRP/biology/itano/itano_yft.pdf

post-4273-1212304383_thumb.jpg

Interesting chart,

Last week fisheries were at the harbour measuring lengths etc,when i went out ant the figures were as follows:

Fork 121cm weight 28.5kg

Fork 120cm weight 27.5kg

fork 100cm weight 16.5kg

I do realise the chart is estimate,fair difference though, and fish were fat too.

Edited by lukeric

Interesting chart,

Last week fisheries were at the harbour measuring lengths etc,when i went out ant the figures were as follows:

Fork 121cm weight 28.5kg

Fork 120cm weight 27.5kg

fork 100cm weight 16.5kg

I do realise the chart is estimate,fair difference though, and fish were fat too.

Lukeric,

thats because the chart is not Australian and all yellowfin are not the same. There is different types/qualities of YFT. Some they call offshore rats(like majority of our tuna in OZ) and some carry their weight all the way thru the body as in the warmer regions like Hawaii(where the graph is from) and South America, south pacific islands etc.

We do get some of the occasional BARRELLS here is OZ, but they are not as common these days.

I will try dig up some more info to hopefully help people better understand if they choose to make an estimate.

If you really want to be sure, you can always drop into a local game club and they will weigh fish for you, if not you can get it done at butchers, green grosers etc. they all use certified scales.

Or, of course, you can always just estimate. :biggrin2:

changa

Lukeric,

thats because the chart is not Australian and all yellowfin are not the same.

changa

The chart is for the Western Pacific Region within which Australia is meant to be included according to the report. I don't know but there doesn't appear to be a wealth of info on this subject. I did see a formula you can use if you have the fork length and the girth of the fish.

Anything more accurate would be good.

The Hawaiian charts are NOT the same as our WCPFC weights.

There are also East Atlantic and NRIFSF(pacific ocean) charts.

These all differ from our CURRENT charts.

The only way to get a good guestimate is to measure the FORK LENGTH and GIRTH and use the fomula.

Otherwise, you could always weigh them on good quality scales.

Ouside of that, you could just say "caught a crackin tuna" :thumbup::yahoo:

Most tuna off Sydney this season are great fish, and its a welcome change to have some quality fish out there is such great numbers.

Wonder how many people are releasing them?

changa

Hey Changa dont even think half the boats out there would have a tag pole, they are all capture lol. I think Ron is the only one ive heard of with some t @ r so far?

Smokin Joe,

i only say that because when you have a red hot bite, and years gone by when there were little no stuff all fish to be had, people constantly talk of declining YFT stocks.

Just like Marlin, the YFT have been known to be over fished commercially both here and O/S.

Considering that YFT does not freeze the best, why would people take so many fish in a day?

Just a question and probably interested in opinions as its certainly not against the law to take your limit..

In my mind, i follow the 'LIMIT YOUR CATCH' motto more so than 'CATCH YOUR LIMIT' motto (which is legal)

Usually, after we get a feed, we scale back to 8kg and start tagging our fish(as we have been doing)

Its really fun, and like marlin, you get a certain kind of FEEL GOOD feeling as you watch them big YFT swim off into the depths.

People dont need tag poles to release.

Thoughts?

changa

I dont know why you think Fin dont freeze the best as they go overseas frozen solid and they pay big bucks for em.

One of our members threw back at least 12 the other day without tags and many more only take a few because your boat would be way overloaded with your limit of 2 each.

I have no idea why you would target 30,40 and 50 kg Yellowfin on 8kg line and then think they would be fine to release.

May as well go home after you have got a feed and be happy as larry :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Henderson has released a Lowdown Ink Tuna Guide, similar to the marlin one that was posted here a coupla months ago but the weight charts are for tuna. I assume they would be the most accurate for Australian YFT....

Daniel

The Hawaiian charts are NOT the same as our WCPFC weights.

There are also East Atlantic and NRIFSF(pacific ocean) charts.

These all differ from our CURRENT charts.

The only way to get a good guestimate is to measure the FORK LENGTH and GIRTH and use the fomula.

changa

Im not sure if you have read the report but within it there are all different regions. The report is Hawaiian in origin but the maps include Australia, Indonesia, the Philippines and other areas near our shores.

Were do you get "our CURRENT charts" you refer to?

Boban,

my info comes from AFMA (australian fisheries managment authority)

They control the marlin/tuna pro industry.

Currently, apart from the tuna guide that Daniel refers to, there is no accurate guide for estimating our tuna here in OZ. Not even AFMA have an accurate guide for Oz tuna and as i said, thei current guide is the Western Pacific one which is different to the hawaiian one.

Let me dig around and i will post the accurate formula so people can choose to write it down if they wish to be accurate, or alternatively they can keep guessing. In the end, a fish is a fish and we all fish for fun.

Theres nothing wrong with learning to estimate more accurately though.

Stewy,

We are not targetting 50kg fish on 8. The majority of fish are 30ish which are no problem on 8kg tackle.

I am not going to go into 'How to fish light tackle effectiuvely' here , as is a learned technique to be proficient at getting fish fast.

I can catch a 30kg tuna on 8 as fast as the average joe catches one on 24 beside me.

Given the fish requires more energy to FIGHT against the drag pressures of 24 as opposed to 8, the fish has lots more energy in storage after being fought on 8 than a fish worn out against the constant pressure of fighting against 24kg.

Now, if it were taking 5 times longer to land a fish, then maybe the fish would be worn out on 8 , but it does not take us long to get them.

As for the people letting them go, thats good to hear. Its also good to hear people keeping a feed or their PB fish also.

What i do is personal in the way of release etc and i am not here to tell others what to do.

Im more interested in peoples points of view rather than bitch about what is right or wrong.

changa

Considering there has been ample fish to boat and release, reminding you that you can take up to 7 fin per angler anyway why would you in the first place. Changa there are thousands of responses to this question as it takes into account all fish that are landed, me personaly when it comes to any fish i only take what i will eat that night or the next day, sometimes i will take a few more for the neighbours but have gone of that because some were waiting to long to eat good fish so why give it to them if they wont eat it, rather see it swim away, some fish like a huge flatty over 60cm i will release straight away because their offspring are worth more than 1 big fish, cant remember the stats for these big breeders or their offspring rate, marlin T&R, will not boat one unless totally RS. Cannot fathom why some people must catch heaps and freeze it, to me its a waste and greedy. YFT freezes very well it actually enhances the flavour.

Another thing the tuna charts for the east coast would have to include the two types of YFT we have, the deep oceanics vs the inside shelf.

Also, dolphin fish the larger the more the cat next door gets, just on size are the best to eat i reckon.

Is a photo better than a dead fish?

This has gotten way off topic now and it was initially about estimating Tuna sizes and now its about T&R and all manner of crap .

Its closed till we get more info on how to tell how big they actually are and what genus.

Swordfisherman