Mako Tournament 26th & 27th July

Hi all....

With this coming weekend likely to be a non event due to the weather

And with eagerness levels growing in anticipation of what awaits the next trip out

My mind wanders to the (Geoff Woolley Memorial) Monster Mako Tournament

Held over the weekend of the 26th & 27th July run by SGFC..

A friendly tournament being restricted to 15kg line class help's add to the excitement

And I am sure there will be plenty of stories that will be recounted and told of the big one that got away..

Held at a time when the mako is generally around in pretty good numbers and can be found in most known places…. but no more than at brown’s mountain which seems to

Co-incide with the arrival to the mountain of in particular the frostfish..

So if a fun weekend fishing for these solid ball’s of muscle with teeth sounds inviting to you

Then give a thought to this tournie..... for those of us already in the know from my own as well as other clubs need no introduction to the mako tournie with it being well

Represented by quite a few raiders from on here so if you need to know any

Tackle and technique questions or maybe not sure what best methods may apply

then feel free to ask a question…i am sure someone will be more than happy to answer

Hope to see a few of you there.. ....just had a quick browse and here are two pics of what you may hopefully expect to come across

post-4679-1213257390_thumb.jpg post-4679-1213257405_thumb.jpg

Cheers Warnie...

Hi all....

With this coming weekend likely to be a non event due to the weather

And with eagerness levels growing in anticipation of what awaits the next trip out

My mind wanders to the (Geoff Woolley Memorial) Monster Mako Tournament

Held over the weekend of the 26th & 27th July run by SGFC..

A friendly tournament being restricted to 15kg line class help's add to the excitement

And I am sure there will be plenty of stories that will be recounted and told of the big one that got away..

Held at a time when the mako is generally around in pretty good numbers and can be found in most known places…. but no more than at brown’s mountain which seems to

Co-incide with the arrival to the mountain of in particular the frostfish..

So if a fun weekend fishing for these solid ball’s of muscle with teeth sounds inviting to you

Then give a thought to this tournie..... for those of us already in the know from my own as well as other clubs need no introduction to the mako tournie with it being well

Represented by quite a few raiders from on here so if you need to know any

Tackle and technique questions or maybe not sure what best methods may apply

then feel free to ask a question…i am sure someone will be more than happy to answer

Hope to see a few of you there.. ....just had a quick browse and here are two pics of what you may hopefully expect to come across

post-4679-1213257390_thumb.jpg post-4679-1213257405_thumb.jpg

Cheers Warnie...

:1prop: By there with bells on Stevo, just got to work out what boat to jump on.

Ken

I should mention that :

(1) most sharks are tagged, as on the capture side of things the only award is for Heaviest Shark, and also

(2) there is a TUNA section as well. Again, most fish end up being tagged, as the only capture trophy is for Heaviest Tuna.

We on Gambit threw a spanner in the works last year when we brought in a Southern Bluefin instead of a Yellowfin to claim the Heaviest Tuna trophy! Amazing what you can find 35 miles out....

Attached photo is of an excellent mako which was tagged last year by one of our boats.

This one looks much cleaner than Warnesy's ones!

post-6630-1213340422_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Bob.

what size boat would you need to fish for makos

had a run in with one 8 km off harrington wilst fishing for flattys stole my lizard and jumped 6 feet out off the water and looked at me,scarred the crap out of me

are these sharks as spaz as everyone says,will they chew the boat

gary

Makos are not for everyone and nenver under estimate these crazy sharks!!!!

Just be aware that they do jump and they like the taste of legs and propellers on your boat.

Here is one we got a fair few years ago on 15 kg and it was a bugger to land and we were on my brothers 21 foot Frasier Vixen and the boat never looked big enough :074:

post-256-1213349161_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

had a run in with one 8 km off harrington wilst fishing for flattys stole my lizard and jumped 6 feet out off the water and looked at me,scarred the crap out of me

gary

I think you more so need experience rather than boat size (although it helps). Take the boat 'Tycon' for example. These guys are gurus on the sharks, they caught two 530kg tigers on 15 within a week in 2006 up at Port....they fish out of a 6.2m Seafarer, they know what they're doing. BUT, I wouldnt go stick a gaff into a mako if it was my first trip and I have had no experience with them....suicide!! They can be extremely dangerous and everything is amplified when you're miles out to sea!

And yeh the stories are true. Some of the ones I have heard are makos eating witchdoctors and ripping the back of boats out (dont tow them on wire!), another one is of a mako which jumped into a trailer boat and chewed up all the few lines while thrashing around the deck before the skipper somehow got him out (yeh its true, heard it from the skipper himself) and also mako's suddenly coming to life on the way home is one I hear a lot!! They are nuts thats why i dont gaff them :tease:

Dan

gary

Gary

As daniel mentioned many a epic can be recounted of the mako shark which makes for

good story telling when sitting round the fire with the boy's drinking Turkey....

But on the whole gary i guess the element of danger would be no more or no less than fishing and boating in general....

With the actual gaffing of the fish being were most can come unstuck..

for as we all know they pocess a powerfull propeller and adorn a good set of dentistry...

And seeing that gaffing one to not be my prime intention i use what we refer to as a

"sacrifical shark trace" this consists of a single hook on a short length of wire trace of around a 1mtr which then in turn is

crimped to a 3mtr length of 400lb mono making up the Trace...

this allows you to be just handling mono when tracing the fish and a simple snip with the side cutters

at the connection and the fish is on its way...

on a side issue i once tried a piece of mako shark to eat after a mate raved on about it and i thought

it to be the biggest load of crap i have ever tasted....do i stand alone in this regard ???????

or do people really eat and enjoy it......Yuck!!!!!!!

Cheers Warnie...

thanks warnie,the trace thing is a great idea

ill give the little fellas a go closer in but if they start doing arobateics ill give it a snip early

i was given 2 old pen over heads with game rods[heavey duty]and as yet have not put a good bend in either

not having the boat to go to browns ill give it a go closer in

thanks again cherrs gary

thanks warnie,the trace thing is a great idea

ill give the little fellas a go closer in but if they start doing arobateics ill give it a snip early

i was given 2 old pen over heads with game rods[heavey duty]and as yet have not put a good bend in either

not having the boat to go to browns ill give it a go closer in

thanks again cherrs gary

Hey gary

if a bit closer in suits you better any were around long reef wide area will put you

in with a good shot to be putting a bend in those game rods of yours....

they can be prolific around there at times ...

Warnie....

For those that have never fished a winter comp before, then THIS IS A BLAST!!

Also hosted by undoubtedly the friendliest club :1prop:

Also cater and care about their trailerboat fratenity and understand that game fishos come in all sized boats.

great comp, great people, great prizes and you will even learn a lot.

give it a go, you may just enjoy yourelf. :thumbup:

changa

for a person that has never caught a mako before what are some tips on catching makos and were do they live i.e. browns mountain or can u find them closer because our boat wont get to browns

our boat is a 17 footer with a single 115 horsepower engine and a 80 liter tank

cheers fisherboy :1fishing1: and on the behalf of davidaka(fisherdad)

for a person that has never caught a mako before what are some tips on catching makos and were do they live i.e. browns mountain or can u find them closer because our boat wont get to browns

our boat is a 17 footer with a single 115 horsepower engine and a 80 liter tank

cheers fisherboy :1fishing1: and on the behalf of davidaka(fisherdad)

Hi Fisherboy....

Further to what CFD mentioned a particular trait that the mako shark can tend to exhibit when hooked

is a penchant for launching its self out the water with what can be a spectacular display...

those on Fishraider that have caught a mako or fish for mako's no what im saying.....

here lies a catch 22..... excitement takes over and admiration goes out to the fish in this display of

powerful jumps to a height to were you watch in amazement and say

NO WAY!!!!!!.. :1yikes:

the catch 22.....being we all have that thought in the back of our mind is........no way would i like to be under it when it comes down.....i have only experianced it once were a mako has landed in the back of the

boat but not from a height.......this be were some of the horror stories can originate and made so much more

hallowing if to be experianced from a small boat.....makes you feel vunerable so to speak...

but at the same time add's to the excitement....thought you may be interested in this display so you and a few

others not inuatiated to one of the tactic's of what can be a reasonably aggresive shark at times...

i found this well known pic showing a mako jump to show you of such but am not quite sure if it will post or not...so if it fail's could anyone else oblige....

mako_shark_jumping.doc

Cheers Warnie....

Edited by ungry warnie

Gee Steve there's plenty of action in that bay, that's for sure. Could you imagine Botany Bay being like that with all those birds, boil ups on the surface everywhere and big sharks jumping right out of the water like that.

I don't think the boys would need an extra supply of gulps among that sort of action, they'd have enough gulps on the high speed trip back to the boat ramp, that's also for sure. :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Gary

As daniel mentioned many a epic can be recounted of the mako shark which makes for

good story telling when sitting round the fire with the boy's drinking Turkey....

But on the whole gary i guess the element of danger would be no more or no less than fishing and boating in general....

With the actual gaffing of the fish being were most can come unstuck..

for as we all know they pocess a powerfull propeller and adorn a good set of dentistry...

And seeing that gaffing one to not be my prime intention i use what we refer to as a

"sacrifical shark trace" this consists of a single hook on a short length of wire trace of around a 1mtr which then in turn is

crimped to a 3mtr length of 400lb mono making up the Trace...

this allows you to be just handling mono when tracing the fish and a simple snip with the side cutters

at the connection and the fish is on its way...

on a side issue i once tried a piece of mako shark to eat after a mate raved on about it and i thought

it to be the biggest load of crap i have ever tasted....do i stand alone in this regard ???????

or do people really eat and enjoy it......Yuck!!!!!!!

Cheers Warnie...

Ive eaten a few and some are rubbish and some are beautiful ,anything over say50kg ill give a miss these days and bung a tag in them,couple seasons back my mate had a barbie and we cooked up the fish from the previous days fishing,albacore,yellowfin and a small mako of 32kg

everybody polished off the mako and the yft and albi were second rate compared to the mako but on another note ive tried to eat one about a 100kg and couldn't stomach it unfortunately. Off Sydney small makos are sort of rare ,there more the gelcoat scratching and gauging variety

cheers arman

Hey Warnnie,

Is there going to be a shark bait rigging display at next Tuesday's club meeting?

Hi ya Alex..

The short answer to the best of my knowledge is i don't think so..

however on the thursday night leading up to that weekend of the tournie

a rat pack bunch of die hard's will be meandering there way out to my place

were under the guise of preparing to do battle with the mighty mako on the weekend

we will be actually throwing half a cow on the barbie and washing it down..

with turkey (wild).that is :beersmile: and talking fishing in general

so if you find your self out in this part of the world that night drop in

your more than welcome....

I'm sure i could russle up a mullet to throw on the barbie for you.. :yahoo::1fish:

Cheers Warnie...

Just a side note to an earlier post that stated to get a burley slick going with BLOOD etc.

This is not legal in COMPS or for any other GFAA or NSWGFA comps or normal pointscore days.

No parts of mammals are permitted to be used for burley/chunking/chumming.

Just in case you thought of doing it in the comp and wondering why you get disqualified........ :ranting2:

changa

post-4758-1214794122_thumb.jpg

Warney

I am pretty sure we have Nathan Ghosn coming down this Tuesday night to do a rigging session.

Visitors Welcome

Ken

Guys I would love to head down to attend can you tell me what time / where etc?

The boss is overseas - this may be my only chance!!

Cheers

AL