A New Pb For Hodgey!

Hodgey

G'Day all,

Well the weather has taken a turn for the worse today. Bitterly cold, sporadic showers, and a southerly to blow a dog off a chain. Less than ideal conditions for fishing, but Deno and I headed out 'for a quick flick' just the same.

I started the morning by cast and retrieving a 3" Gulp Minnow (in pumkinseed) at structure we have had some success on in the past. Second cast and the little plastic is thumped! This fish felt powerful and was continually diving for the bottom. As we saw color through the water, Dene's called him for a good fish, and scrambled for the net. I was rapt when the fish slid into the net, as I was confident I had beaten my previous lure-caught PB (39cm), and I was right! 43cm of fantastic perch ... you bloody ripper! :yahoo::yahoo:

post-3198-1214105008_thumb.jpg

Time for a quick measure and photo before sliding it back into the water. Spent another 30 mins casting in the same area, but the only other taker was a small flattie caught by Dene. Headed up the river to try and find somewhere sheltered, and targetted some great looking snags without success :mad3:

post-3198-1214105317_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1214105366_thumb.jpg

Headed further up the creek to try to target flatties. Second cast, and Dene has a brief altercation with what we presume was a flattie, and then nothing for 30mins. Talk about doin' it tough! Drifted onto a weed-lined drop off and cast my 3/8" Nitro Jighead and 4" Minnow (in lime tiger). Two twitches of the rod tip and I come up solid. Considering the size of the lure I was confident I was into a good flatty. Imagine my surprise when this brute turned up! :1yikes:

post-3198-1214105793_thumb.jpg

42cm and weighed in at 1.2kg. Not a PB but a bloody good fish. Generally I release fish this size, but Ma is visiting from Victoria and I know she's partial to a feed of bream :thumbup: I've had a lot more productive days on the water, but catching this terrific EP is something I will enjoy for a long time!

Hodgey

Thats a top EP there Ian :1yikes: I think you better add that to the growing list of Fishraider Records as you are now the proud owner of this species on a lure :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

Well done Hodgey!! Terrific results on both EP & Bream!!! That EP would have been a 'goer' - assuming they hit as hard as bass (which they really do resemble, eh???)

Your Ma would be really chuffed, having that for dinner!! :thumbup::yahoo:

Been really windy & cold up here too! No-where to get away from it, reallY!

Well done, Champ!!

Roberta

Congratulations on your PB estuary, very fit looking specimen.

Thanks for your PM, you seem to be blessed, picturesque surroundings and apparently a fish nursery.

How's that Breambo, damned stonka. A little darkish in colour or is that the angle of the photo.

Great looking snags, definately a place for those Kamakazi pilots to launch their attacks from.

Would be nice if you could hire a houseboat down there, would make for a lovely holiday and some great fishing.

Thanks again for whetting my appetite

Cheers

Mariner

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider, Hodgey.son!! (Sounds Japanese!!) :074::074:

I bet you are as keen on your fishing as Hodgey Snr!!! That would make it a real family challenge when you all get together for a fish!!! Tyring to outfish each other! :)

Look forward to reading your reports on your Qld exploits!!! :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

Looks like it's all been said already but that is one beauuuuutiful fish. Nice work. I wouldn't complain if I picked up 42cm bream for by-catch either.

The photos of those snags are awesome.... might as well hang a big sign up saying FISH HERE >

:thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

Well Hodgey you never cease to amaze me. Well done Ol' mate.

Those Snags look familiar........ Are they...

Mate you realy have to give Dene a lot of cred for those Pics; without him you wouldn't get your mug online. :tease:

Squizy

Edited by Squizy

Thank you everyone for your interest and kind words.

You've got eyes like a hawk, Squiz! Yep this is the set of snags that I took you to, opposite the sandbar we caught that good bag of flatties off. I'm gonna have to blindfold you next time you're down! :074:

:1welcomeani: to the site, Bryce. :thumbup:

Hodgey

• 2 weeks later...