2005 Starts Promisingly

Matt

Well the first Social for 2005 kicked off rather promisingly. Whilst the fishing was somewhat tough there was still enough quality fish around for those willing to fish hard and smart.

The day itself was a little irritating with rain squalls and an annoying SE that made it difficult to fish in some areas but the 46 anglers all persisted and brought back in a good 35 Bream for weighing totalling almost 19.5kg!

The weights were close but we only have one winner and that was Breamaholic with a great 1.512kg. Well done mate

Second place was claimed with Wacko with 1.452kg.

Third place was AusBream Mod Billfish with 1.434kg.

Fourth saw another AusBream Mod, Bassifier, with 1.337kg

And in Fifth was Tujedu with 1.312kg.

Well done to our top 5!

Here is the complete placings:

1st Breamaholic (1.512kg) - 8 Points

2nd Wacko (1.452kg) - 7 Points

3rd Billfish (1.434k) - 6 Points

4th Bassifier (1.337kg) - 5 Points

5th Tujedu (1.312kg) - 4 Points

Snag (1.179kg) - 3 Points

Iceman (1.140kg) - 3 Points

Muzz (1.085kg) - 3 Points

GBrown1 (1.035kg) - 3 Points

Slider (1.028kg) - 3 Points

Jonny (.988kg) - 3 Points

MickC (.966kg) - 4 Points (Whiting Bonus)

Chopper (.966kg) - 3 Points

David (.906kg) - 3 Points

Gregl (.828kg) - 3 Points

Joe (.807kg) - 3 Points

Brownrockcod (.606kg) - 2 Points

Mitch (.520kg) - 2 Points

Matt (.396kg) - 2 Points

Docky 0 - 1 Point

Mark-Fisho1 0 - 1 Point

Nickothefisho 0 - 1 Point

Ozy 0 - 1 Point

Hooky 0 - 1 Point

Bills 0 - 1 Point

Pedro 0 - 1 Point

Tomo50 0 - 1 Point

Seagull 0 - 1 Point

Jamie 0 - 1 Point

Hayden 0 - 1 Point

Sputnik 0 - 1 Point

Starboard 0 - 1 Point

Swoffa 0 - 1 Point

Hats 0 - 1 Point

Leelee 0 - 1 Point

Steve Edmonds 0 - 1 Point

Aero 0 - 1 Point

Stevo 0 - 1 Point

Billfin 0 - 1 Point

Kfish1 0 - 1 Point

Kfish2 0 - 1 Point

Darryl 0 - 1 Point

The_Lure 0 - 1 Point

Donfish 0 - 1 Point

Swordfisherman 0 - 1 Point

(I get the feeling I missed a couple here, who's missing?)

Some interesting "other species" came in today. I believe Wacko managed a 62cm King and Darryl a 42cm Snapper! Hope to see somepics of those And Mickc was the only guy to score the Bonus Fish, a decent Whiting.

Again well done everybody and thank to all for making the day a winner

Cheers

Windy

Thanks Matt for a great social to start the year off. Thanks to lee for having me on board once again.

Congrats Ross and the other top 5 place getters.

Well it was my first time on the Hacking system and it is a beautiful looking place. As Ross and Wacko said there a lot of "cowan" type places there and that is where I got my Bream from. Unfortunatly I pulled the hooks on a few fish and landed only one 30cm speciman. A lot of flounder, flathead and a big jacket also came on board. As with everyone else i lost a lot of placcies.

Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Mitch

Not sure but i think if you had kept your whiting you would have got a bonus point.

29734[/snapback]

Has to be legal Snag good buddy :thumbup: I think the one Chris got was under size :biggrin2:

Cheers

Windy

29737[/snapback]

unless fisheries have recently downsized the length to 17cm :1prop:

Many thanks to Darryl for taking me out on Sunday, Im fairly new to this breaming thing but really enjoyed the day, although my wallet took a hit with all the plastics i went through...

also a question for anyone that uses Lunker Grip jigheads, do they break often? i had one break when removing from a fishes mouth with pliers, thought ok maybe i was too heavy handed... but then on Sunday i got onto what felt like a half decent bream and then bang he was off, checked the hook and all i had left was jighead and half a hook :ranting2:

cheers

Chris

Not sure but i think if you had kept your whiting you would have got a bonus point.

29734[/snapback]

Has to be legal Snag good buddy :thumbup: I think the one Chris got was under size :biggrin2:

Cheers

Windy

29737[/snapback]

unless fisheries have recently downsized the length to 17cm :1prop:

Many thanks to Darryl for taking me out on Sunday, Im fairly new to this breaming thing but really enjoyed the day, although my wallet took a hit with all the plastics i went through...

also a question for anyone that uses Lunker Grip jigheads, do they break often? i had one break when removing from a fishes mouth with pliers, thought ok maybe i was too heavy handed... but then on Sunday i got onto what felt like a half decent bream and then bang he was off, checked the hook and all i had left was jighead and half a hook :ranting2:

cheers

Chris

29746[/snapback]

Hi Chris,

I've used the lunker grips a fair bit in the past. The collar breaking is not uncommon with this type of jighead as there is only a small amount of lead at the point where the collar joins the head. Jigheads take a fair amount of punishment fishing for bream and, to be fair to Lunker, the bronze hook type jigheads are not really designed for the abuse we give them.

Lunker City also make 'pro' jigheads with a much better hook, but the ones we mostly see in Australia are the bronze hook versions, so I assume you're referring to them.

If you like the grip collar, have a look at the Nitro or TT range of jigheads. Nitro and TT jig heads aren't totally immune from collar breaks, but they're a lot more resilient and use a better hook than the bronze type on the Lunker heads, (Gamakatsu's in most cases).

Pukka

Hi Chris,

I've used the lunker grips a fair bit in the past. The collar breaking is not uncommon with this type of jighead as there is only a small amount of lead at the point where the collar joins the head. Jigheads take a fair amount of punishment fishing for bream and, to be fair to Lunker, the bronze hook type jigheads are not really designed for the abuse we give them.

Lunker City also make 'pro' jigheads with a much better hook, but the ones we mostly see in Australia are the bronze hook versions, so I assume you're referring to them.

If you like the grip collar, have a look at the Nitro or TT range of jigheads. Nitro and TT jig heads aren't totally immune from collar breaks, but they're a lot more resilient and use a better hook than the bronze type on the Lunker heads, (Gamakatsu's in most cases).

Pukka

29770[/snapback]

Hi Pukka, thanks for that, It was a real pain to find out these break so easily (particularly so when onto a fish...) as that particular jighead really fits the profile of the 2" BassMinnow very well. In saying that the nitros look similar so i may give them a go.

thanks again

Chris

Hi Chris,

Pukka

29770[/snapback]

Hi Pukka, thanks for that, It was a real pain to find out these break so easily (particularly so when onto a fish...) as that particular jighead really fits the profile of the 2" BassMinnow very well. In saying that the nitros look similar so i may give them a go.

thanks again

Chris

29852[/snapback]

Hey Chris,

You may find the Gama's on the TT's and Nitro's a bit long for the 2 inchers, (little bit down to personal preference here).

It's pretty hard to find a decent shorter shank jighead.. the #6 size Squidgy Finesse jigs are a great fit, but you're limited in weight sizes. The Squidgy Ball heads are a good too, but the unfortunately the hooks are pretty soft. Word has it that the hooks on the ball heads are being upgraded, so they may be worth looking at again when they appear in stores.

Gama 211's are good also, but I find they lose their point very easily.

Nitro also offer a shorter shank jig that is based on a Mustad.

Now at the risk of going too much off the topic of the thread I won't add any more :)

Pukka

Edited by Pukka

Thanks to lee for having me on board once again.

29732[/snapback]

Any time mate.

Congrats to all the winners and for me it was a first on the hacking and I was very impressed. Unfortunatly I did not land a bream so I scored an impressive doughnut :1prop: Still this bad patch of no bream on sp's is lasting considerably longer than I thought. Hopefully the drought will be broken soon :1badmood:

Cheers

Lee

Well, the year might have started promisingly for some people, but not for me!

I’m seeing more dougnuts than the inside of a Homer's stomach at the moment...

However, I've got to say that I’ll definitely be heading back to the Hacking at some stage. I’ve always enjoyed sight fishing since my days of fly chucking, and watching some of those big old Bream cruising the shallows and chasing (but not eating, of course) my lures was a thrill in itself.

Thanks to Matt for organising another great session, and to the top 5 for coming up trumps on a day when almost everyone seemed to be finding it tough (I noticed we weren't the only ones with a livewell full of fresh air).

However, I'm the born optimist, so roll on the Parra!

The total count was 47 Anglers. Wacko's non-boater (RichP) pulled out sick and Mick came by himself. Brownrockcod had his 2 sons on board as well hence the odd number.

Not the biggest field (I think we had 52 at a Parra day last year) but they sure are getting bigger. Might have to employ an assistent :1prop:

Cheers

Windy