Hits Without Hook-ups

ianoc69

I have been thinking (which is unusual for me) about my last couple of sessions where I was receiving numerous hits for low hook-up rate.

Mainly I was using a mixed combination of Bass Minnows, 2" Grubs and 3" Paramax.

Generally I use a sharp lift approach and wait a few seconds - every so often I retrieve in slowly for a few meters - let is sit on the bottom for 10 seconds etc., but in my last 2 outings (total of about 6 hours) I have only managed a very small flattie.

I am still finding my way with technique and dont feel as though I have developed retrives anywhere near what it needs to be. I have a bad habit of striking a little early at times.

I have been using Gamakstu Tournament series 1/16th heads with Size 1.0H OR Size 2 Hooks.

Is this just fishing OR has anyone gone through a similar stage and made a change that made a noticeable difference.

Any tips or tricks would be most welcome.

When you do your lift and wait...do you keep the line fairly straight and let the rod tip drop gradually??? Or do you let the line go completely slack?

When dropping the line after a lift or twitch, try and decrease the amount of slack line in the water. May help.

When you do your lift and wait...do you keep the line fairly straight and let the rod tip drop gradually??? Or do you let the line go completely slack?

When dropping the line after a lift or twitch, try and decrease the amount of slack line in the water. May help.

29775[/snapback]

Now that I think about it I beleive I do drop the tip and let the line go slack (following a lift / twitch) for a second before reeling the slack out

Thanks Joe - this is something I can be more conscious of and pay closer attention to

A few things I might suggest for fishing the bottom with sp's (but doesn't necessarily mean the right thing to do). Firstly try dropping your leader size, maybe try a rod length of 4lb leader if your knots are good. Try a smaller sp. Try slowing down the lifts, firstly in the amount u lift the rod tip and the speed u do so. Leave a longer gap between lifts (5 full seconds maybe). That should entice shy fish a bit more. I have to say that if I miss a hit (pull the lure from the fish's mouth) I turn the bail arm over immediately to drop the lure right back into the fish's face and let it sit there for a few seconds. They will usually have another go at it.

A few things I might suggest for fishing the bottom with sp's (but doesn't necessarily mean the right thing to do).  Firstly try dropping your leader size, maybe try a rod length of 4lb leader if your knots are good.  Try a smaller sp. Try slowing down the lifts, firstly in the amount u lift the rod tip and the speed u do so.  Leave a longer gap between lifts (5 full seconds maybe).  That should entice shy fish a bit more.  I have to say that if I miss a hit (pull the lure from the fish's mouth) I turn the bail arm over immediately to drop the lure right back into the fish's face and let it sit there for a few seconds.  They will usually have another go at it.

29893[/snapback]

Thanks Rick

I take your points and believe they will be of use

After I miss a fish I have not left it there for another try - this is something that makes good sense and I will try it