Knot Breakages @^$#@

stylo

Went for a flick yesterday and something strange happened. I had my leader to 8lb yellow fireline break 3 times on me !

Ive used this rod many times before so it's def. not the rod or stuffed guides. The reel is new, but I don't think the reel can affect the leader knot can it ?

* standard albright knot - 10 or 12 turns

* used 6lb FC leader

* used 6lb mono leader

One of the times, the knot broke when I cast it with light 1gram jighead + plastic. The other times when I hooked up. I don't think it is LJackets because where I was was devoid of any life, except some chopper tailor, which bit me off at the jig a few times.

I've also used these leaders recently and they gave me no issues .. Could X-factor juice on my hands, while I tied the knot have anything to do with it ? Perhaps it's because it's an older batch of fireline (that a friend gave me) ?

Please help !! I am thinking it is the fireline ...

G'day Stylo,

Have you changed brands of leader material?

No, it is the same mini spool of black magic 6lb FC Slinky.

I also use it on another reel with 4lb crystal fireline, and no problems ever at the leader knot. Also use it on another reel with 8lb fireline AND that one is also fine !!

Sounds like you have a bad spool of fireline Cut a couple of meters off it and try again if it keeps happening time for new fireline This was a common problem with fireline a few years ago but I havent heard of it since

Sounds like you have a bad spool of fireline Cut a couple of meters off it and try again if it keeps happening time for new fireline This was a common problem with fireline a few years ago but I havent heard of it since

Think my mate gave me a doozy spool so he outcatches me .. ahha

I will cut 5 or so metres off and re-try, then another 5 metres. Hope that sorts it out.

Stylo,

Mate when i used to use fireline i had the same problems.

What i used to do was wind it onto another reel off the one its on, then after you have done that wind it onto another reel and then after that back onto your good reel you want to use. what this does it it swaps the fireline around so whats underneath is now on top.

Its a old trik i use for when my fins braid becomes dirty on the first 40-50m (as the yellow does).

I just swap it around and capiche'.

Good luck Cam

It has actually come off and back on a few reels off a few times .. I am actually using (thinking...) the 5hit side of the fireline !!

Champion ! Let's see if it will work with no flaws once I swap it around.

Thanks !

it is the fireline

I had 8lb yellow fireline and whilst i was tying the knot to leader it was breaking

i pulled off 20metres re done knot and it was all good.

That sounds much easier than respooling .. I think I will do that Johnno !

variable knot strength is definitely the reason i threw my fireline in the bin :thumbdown:

no matter what knot i tried the result was not consitant

try some other brands from japan such as sunline or unitika which are not that much more expensive

$35 for 150m and trust me you won't go back to fireline

cheers

BM

variable knot strength is definitely the reason i threw my fireline in the bin :thumbdown:

no matter what knot i tried the result was not consitant

try some other brands from japan such as sunline or unitika which are not that much more expensive

$35 for 150m and trust me you won't go back to fireline

cheers

BM

Nah, every other spool of fireline (yellow, smoke, crystle) has been 100%. Only problems with this spool/reel of fireline ..

As mentioned above .. I think my mate may have sabotaged the line before giving to me .. hahaha

I have cut off 15-20 metres .. let's see if it keeps happening.

I have had the same problems with the yellow fireline.

I now use only the smoke or pink and have never had the problem since.

Cheers Stewy

breaking at the (leader) knot or pretty much everywhere on the line swordie ?

Knots and mainline :ranting2: when I tied my leader on the yellow fireline would break above the knot or the join would snap like cotton.

Knots and mainline :ranting2: when I tied my leader on the yellow fireline would break above the knot or the join would snap like cotton.

That's farked !!! But I have heard of it happening to many people .. I think I will get some Stren for this reel .. don't want to be losing anymore fush to shut fireline ..

That's farked !!! But I have heard of it happening to many people .. I think I will get some Stren for this reel .. don't want to be losing anymore fush to shut fireline ..

I wouldnt hesitate to use fireline ,but not in the yellow and I have a lot of reels filled with the pink in the 4 and 6lb and my beach reel filled with 30lb smoke and I love it.

Cheers Stewy

I have fireline in differing sizes on about twelve of my rods and have never had this problem. I use to have problems at my knots with the smaller line 8lb right down to the smaller stuff at 2lb. The fireline use to cut through my FC or monno leader material until I tied a double in the line before tying on the leader. I use a 30odd turn bimini twist to form my double as it is close to 100% line strength.

Squizy

I will de-spoolling very soon ... lost a HB today due to semi snag and retrieve .. hardly any pressure and the fireline snapped, NOT EVEN at the knot ..

I'm pissed !

Bloody hack spool of fireline !! :ranting2:

Mate confirmed it was Jarvis Walker braid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not fireline !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take back what I said !!!!!!!

BTW Stewy, what do you use the smoke line for ? I don't like it because I can't see it when luring, but it is ok for bait fishing ...

Mate confirmed it was Jarvis Walker braid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not fireline !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take back what I said !!!!!!!

BTW Stewy, what do you use the smoke line for ? I don't like it because I can't see it when luring, but it is ok for bait fishing ...

Stewy uses it on a heavy beach rod jewfishing at night with a Abu 7000

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I just noticed this thread. Ive bought 2 out of stacks of new reels of 6LB Fireline that were defect and snapped way under what it should have. 1 yellow and 1 pink. Ive had line on reels perfect for years then one day it just becomes very weak. All my 6Lb lines do this by about 3 years of age. Ive come to the conclusion its the age of the line that stuffs it. So sitting on shelves in stores or whatever does it no good. Taking off the top layers doesnt work and neither does turning the line around. Its the whole spool that gets stuffed.

Ive been using this stuff for about 7 yrs now and have had alot of experience with it. Ive seen reliable tests on it and pound for pound its one of the strongest. Believe it, its true. I think its a great line but you have to keep an eye on it when it gets a few years old.

I haven't been fishing that long to experience the weak snapping fireline, but will definitely keep it in mind .. it may also have some correlation with how many times you fish a week (which is 0 for me at the moment :ranting2: )

BTW, my 'shnapping line' was Jarvis Walker braid, not Fireline.

I haven't been fishing that long to experience the weak snapping fireline, but will definitely keep it in mind .. it may also have some correlation with how many times you fish a week (which is 0 for me at the moment :ranting2: )

BTW, my 'shnapping line' was Jarvis Walker braid, not Fireline.

Yeh I know, but I saw all this about fireline so I thought it would help some people out. Ill just add that Ive seen braids other than fireline go weak and snap just the same after 3 or 4 years. This is with not much fishing use either. I havnt had much experince with them though but its definitly not just Fireline that gets old and weak on its own.

Fireline is a very popular line which might explain why it gets mentioned alot.

I now keep dates of my lines now and after 2 years I change them.

Edited by Roylo