Help Needed For Transducer Installation

kingfishercam

Gday raiders , I am fitting a navman sounder to the trusty tinny and would like some advice on how far i need the transducer to sit at the bottom of the hull. I know that as long as the weight of the boat sitting in the water has the transducer under water is the main thing but i want it to work whilst slowly diving and the boat is on a plane, also it has a speed reader wheel on the transducer that need to be hit by the water flow whilst driving. WWould love some advice to correct pixing measurements.cheers. cam.

Cam,

There should be a template amongst the paperwork with your sounder.

Using the template and instructions from the owners manual should give you the right positioning and all the answers you are looking for.

If you dont have these, you should be able to locate a downloadable version of the manual and template on the Navman website. You just have to find the sounder you have and there should be something there for you to print and use.

Once you have these, you should find it pretty easy to fix up.

Cheers mate

Allen

If you are worried about not getting it right or not wanting to drill more than one set of holes in the hull just apply a piece UV poprtected polly ( good chopping board 20mm thick) to the spot where you want to mount the tranducer. You can do it first with sikaflex and later with screws if you think you won't get it close 1st time. That way you can screw the tranducer in the polly many times in different positions to get it perfrect.

Once the polly is in teh right spot - not behind strake , correct side of motor etc you can just affix it properly with a couple of screws sealed with sikaflex. Never have to drill another hull hole.

Just an idea.