Lord Howe Island

Andy Loops

Wondering if any raiders have been to Lord Howe Island recently and could recommend places to stay / charter operators / tips for travelling to the island etc..

Any details PM'd through would be greatly appreciated.

Thinking of a trip in Aug, Sep or Oct before the peak season really jacks prices.

Cheers,

Andy

G'day Andy,

The 'Adventure Bound' boys just did a couple of episodes on Lord Howe Island. Not sure if it's out on DVD yet but might be worth a look for inspiration.

Cheers, Slinky

PS. I'm jealous :drool:

Hey Slink,

Working on the package but at this stage its really not going to cost that much and we should be there as the big kings start to get more active - fingers crossed!!

I will keep an eye out for the Adventure Bound episodes.

Cheers mate,

Andy

stayed at the ebbtide when i was there last. great place! you will love the kings over there. visit ned's beach around 3.30pm in the afternoon. there is a local who feeds the fish there and you will have kings over 20kgs swimming between your legs. it is an experience!

G,day mate

Green back fishing charters are very professional, gear , saltigas ect , they troll for big wahoo massive kings ect , they dont call em greenback for nothing.

$150 half day they also run the bowling club and there specialty is yes you guessed it kingfish ,lol

Carina charters are top blokes with local knowlege they take u out to a reef and bounce the bottom for massive hoods , trevs , ect

Downfall is they only supply alveys ,unless trolling for marlin ect which they frequently hook up on.

you are garunteed big kings , trevs as long as you land em before the 8 foot plus sharks smash em ,than its all fun and games.

They cost $140 half day

Rock fishing

best spot (old gulch)

catch your bait from the main warf you cant miss it (garfish galore) and thumper drummer iff u like.

you can catch a small glass bottom punt around the side of the island and fish from the rocks there its 10 min walk through bush and rocks iff you take boat.

Its $12

Iff you dont catch the punt its like a 2 hour walk.

Cheers mate and good luck , not that youll be needing any luck . :1prop:

post-4239-1216379531_thumb.jpg

note balls pyramid in the distance

• 2 weeks later...

G,day mate

Green back fishing charters are very professional, gear , saltigas ect , they troll for big wahoo massive kings ect , they dont call em greenback for nothing.

$150 half day they also run the bowling club and there specialty is yes you guessed it kingfish ,lol

Carina charters are top blokes with local knowlege they take u out to a reef and bounce the bottom for massive hoods , trevs , ect

Downfall is they only supply alveys ,unless trolling for marlin ect which they frequently hook up on.

you are garunteed big kings , trevs as long as you land em before the 8 foot plus sharks smash em ,than its all fun and games.

They cost $140 half day

Rock fishing

best spot (old gulch)

catch your bait from the main warf you cant miss it (garfish galore) and thumper drummer iff u like.

you can catch a small glass bottom punt around the side of the island and fish from the rocks there its 10 min walk through bush and rocks iff you take boat.

Its $12

Iff you dont catch the punt its like a 2 hour walk.

Cheers mate and good luck , not that youll be needing any luck . :1prop:

post-4239-1216379531_thumb.jpg

note balls pyramid in the distance

thanks for the info Cfilfe appreciate it! Couldnt get the time off work in early sep and the charter boys are booked out in the following months for the dates I could get there - apparently they get pretty busy once the water warms a little.

March next year when the warmer currents swing down from the reef sounds like it could be the go.

We are looking more local now - maybe Port Stephens or a bit further north.

Thanks for the tips fellas

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Fished there in 2001 at the time of the September 11 attacks in Amercia. Only got a chance to go out once with Jack. Trip was amazing - trevally to 5kgs 2kg nannygai, big cod and kings ooooohhh boy big kings. Got two 21 and 19kgs respectively. Thought they were taking the piss when we were using 100 pound line, needed every pound of it. Took me nearly half and hour to bring the biggest hoodlum to the boat and that was with the old man's help.

If I ever got the chance I would go back in a heart beat. Want to fish for pigs and silver drummer on the other side of the island next time. 20 pound line straight through sometimes doesn't stop them. Now that is adrenalin pumping fishing. :1yikes:

We fished the rocks on the other side of the island a few years ago did a lot of walking had a great time with blue fish,kingfish,sharks and even silver drumer on lures. One session we were fishing for some of the local reef sharks off the rocks when something tried to eat one of the sharks at our feet.

the shark was only about 2ft6 long but the kingfish trying to eat it was over 6 ft.

we were only fishing two kilo outfits at the time for the sharks.

quickly changed to a 10kg outfit but didn't see the big king again.

lord howe landbased is top spot but have to be prepared to do a lot of walking.

All this talk about lord howe got me thinking I might have to try and get there next year as well as weipa.

So many great spots so little ......money / holidays / permission from someone ...Ah well

hookerbruce

• 1 month later...