Flathead Bonanza

Hodgey

G'day all,

With the family all returning to their respective states, Dene and I set out for a quiet morning on the water. The lake was pretty bloody chilly, but Dene had his 10 layers of clothing on, so he coped :074:

Started the morning flicking 4" grubs in Pumkinseed. Within in 10 minutes of hitting the water, I am enjoying a solid tussle with what felt like a reasonable fish.

post-3198-1215833818_thumb.jpg

She measured 64cm, and was slid back into the water for another day. The fishing was pretty touchy today. The flathead bites were so subtle they were barely readable. I dropped almost as many fish as I landed. :mad3: After 30 minutes of frustration and choice language, I once again felt a deep pulsing headshake through the rod.

post-3198-1215833853_thumb.jpg

This one measured 58cm, and was slid into the esky. :biggrin2: Earlier in the morning I had purchased some Gulp Alive grubs in Rootbeer Gold, so I decided to give them a swim to see how they went. I threaded the grub on a little shorter, to try to expose more of the hook and increase my hook up rate. I felt the slightest of 'ticks' in the line, and set the hook. This fish felt equally as good, and doggedly kept trying to make its way to the bottom. After a prolonged battle of 'wait and see', I finally managed to boat this little lady.

post-3198-1215834122_thumb.jpg

She went bang on 70cm and was in pristine condition. Interestingly she coughed this little morsel up when she was near the surface. Best I can tell ... it was a bream (bottom of the jaw had dissolved)

post-3198-1215834227_thumb.jpg

A quick photo of her being released

post-3198-1215834300_thumb.jpg

During all this action, Dene was boating some nice flathead and 2 bream, which he caught on 3" grubs in pumkinseed. We had been on the water 2.5 hrs, and the wind started to pick up, so we decided to give it 20 more minutes and then call it a day. I only needed 3mins :074:

post-3198-1215834518_thumb.jpg

This one went 62cm, and topped off a superb day on the water. Total fishing time 3 hours: total fish 18 flathead, 2 bream and a handful of tailor. What a day!

Hodgey

Hi Hodgey, mate that is one great session, I,ve done the same on the odd occasion and it really gets ya blood going, good to see you using your skills and working out that conventional jig head rigging needs to be a little different at times. Great session and great pics, where were you fishing Hodgey. Top stuff.. P.S I think that little fish is a SILVER BIDDY

post-3371-1215836381_thumb.jpg

Thanks fellas ... Silver Biddy it is then :thumbup:

Ray, all the fish were caught in Tuross Lake passed the 4-ways

Hodgey

Hey Hodgey, I know very little about that area, so I looked at Tuross Lake on Google Earth and I see that is way down south, looks like a very nice quiet style area. Thanks for the info.. Cheers..

"H"...............

Another fantastic post, your part of the world looks unbelievable.

Those lizards look the goods.

AArrrghhh, that's the ducks guts, and now Im just gunna have to get out and get cracking.

Congratulations on what looks like another sterling day.

HOBBITT (ROD)

Holy Moley!! That is one HOT Flattie Session, Hodgey!! Just when you thought they weren't going to come 'on'! Congratulations to you both for braving the conditions! Bring on Spring!! :1yikes:

Beautiful looking fish - well done on releasing the big ones! :)

Everyone will be out buying up any "Rootbeer Gold" they can find!! Sound good enough to eat!! :)

I was soooo cold yesterday that I rugged up today & it got quite warm here today! I was peeling layers off!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Has anyone told you you bear some resemblance to Bushy ? Seems like you get results like him too !!!

Also, do you mind telling us what line / leader / jig sizes you were using. Looks quite calm out there.

Rob

We made the same comment regarding water temp on the day. The flatties seemed to be very subdued in the taking of the lure, and the fight wasn't so much long streaking runs, but drawn out battles trying to get it to come off the bottom.

Stylo

Yes, I get the Buschy comment quite a bit. :D The two line sytems I used for the day were:

6lb crystal Fireline, 70cm of 10lb Vanish flurocarbon, 1/6oz TT jighead with 2/0 hook

6lb crystal Fireline, 70cm 10lb Seaguar flurocarbon, 1/4oz TT jighead with 2/0 hook

Hodgey

Tops! :thumbup:

Great Session Hodgey, its great to see some good size lizrads moving through the system down there. There are plenty around here but a little small. Three hours and so many fish, you nailed it mate.

Great Report aswell :yahoo:

Camo

Super session Hodgey!!

I can only get bream on the SP's at the moment. Would love a nice flathead, it's 12-13 degrees in my patch at the moment, i think they are hibernating.

Q: I've thought about the crystal but stick with the pink because i like to see my line when casting and especially retrieving. You don't have that issue or need? Would be interesting to hear yours/others thoughts.

Cheers