Ski Boat To Bass Boat Project.

Paulf4456

Hi all. Finally found time to show off my new project boat. Bought this unloved gem on E bay for $230. post-7809-1216017121_thumb.jpg post-7809-1216017158_thumb.jpgSome would say $230 was about $200 too much but it had a nice hull shape and I love a challenge. My other boat is the Savage Mako shown elsewhere on this site. Where to start. The transom had worms living in it, found used syringes under the front deck area (lovely). So I stripped it. New transom, new floor. New top deck mould. post-7809-1216017188_thumb.jpgpost-7809-1216017202_thumb.jpg Then the front casting area. Large livewell, storage area, anchor well.post-7809-1216017485_thumb.jpgpost-7809-1216017501_thumb.jpg Rear storage area. This is going to be a tiller steer as I wanted to keep things low maintenance. post-7809-1216017624_thumb.jpgpost-7809-1216017637_thumb.jpg Outboard well added. post-7809-1216017794_thumb.jpg post-7809-1216017863_thumb.jpgJust adding the side rod storage areas. post-7809-1217054989_thumb.jpg Now finished interior waiting on hatch covers.That's it so far. It will shortly be coming off the trailer and flipped so I can clean the hull and practice my spray painting. Going to paint this one myself. New hatches on top and she will be ready to hit the water. As soon as I finish fixing up the trailer I bought for it. E Bay of course. $250. Cost so far is about $1250 roughly, that includes the price of the boat,trailer and materials. Will be chasing a new motor at the boat show this year hopefully. Will post some new photo's when she's finished. Hope you enjoy and get inspired. Only too happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Fitzy

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 1

Hi all. Finally found time to show off my new project boat. Bought this unloved gem on E bay for $230. post-7809-1216017121_thumb.jpg post-7809-1216017158_thumb.jpgSome would say $230 was about $200 too much but it had a nice hull shape and I love a challenge. My other boat is the Savage Mako shown elsewhere on this site. Where to start. The transom had worms living in it, found used syringes under the front deck area (lovely). So I stripped it. New transom, new floor. New top deck mould. post-7809-1216017188_thumb.jpgpost-7809-1216017202_thumb.jpg Then the front casting area. Large livewell, storage area, anchor well.post-7809-1216017485_thumb.jpgpost-7809-1216017501_thumb.jpg Rear storage area. This is going to be a tiller steer as I wanted to keep things low maintenance. post-7809-1216017624_thumb.jpgpost-7809-1216017637_thumb.jpg Outboard well added. post-7809-1216017794_thumb.jpg Just adding the side rod storage areas.post-7809-1216017863_thumb.jpg That's it so far. It will shortly be coming off the trailer and flipped so I can clean the hull and practice my spray painting. Going to paint this one myself. New hatches on top and she will be ready to hit the water. As soon as I finish fixing up the trailer I bought for it. E Bay of course. $250. Cost so far is about $1250 roughly, that includes the price of the boat,trailer and materials. Will be chasing a new motor at the boat show this year hopefully. Will post some new photo's when she's finished. Hope you enjoy and get inspired. Only too happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Fitzy

Great job mate

I was thinking you payed $300 to much lol

well done

Looks good :thumbup:

Would like a closer look once its finished

How long is it?

Looks a bit like a pride hull

She's 15' long and was a swift craft or something similar. Must admit did buy it because it was similar to the old pride hulls. Should sit well in the water.

Fitzy

Nice size for a bass boat

Keep the post going as you get more done

Where about are you based?

I'm down Lake Illawarra way, hence the new boat. The other boat won't fit under the bridge at Windang. Lake is fishing well now the entrance has been opened up.

Fitzy

Great you arent that far away

I am thinking of doing something similar as I want a tournie boat that is tiller steer as well so theres room to take the :wife: and kids fishing and boating

A bit undecided about going glass or tin

Great you arent that far away

I am thinking of doing something similar as I want a tournie boat that is tiller steer as well so theres room to take the :wife: and kids fishing and boating

A bit undecided about going glass or tin

Your welcome to come down and check it out if you want. Just let me know. I prefer glass because I can pick them up cheap and do the work myself. Bit heavier but also quieter on the water. This will be carpeted and lined inside. Can't wait to get it on the water and see how it goes.

Fitzy

Your welcome to come down and check it out if you want. Just let me know. I prefer glass because I can pick them up cheap and do the work myself. Bit heavier but also quieter on the water. This will be carpeted and lined inside. Can't wait to get it on the water and see how it goes.

Fitzy

Ok will do

Probably will wait till its finished :thumbup:

Nice work. Looking forward to the finidhed product. There is so much you can do with older ski hulls etc.

I have an old 4.5m pride hull that was converted to a bass boat.

Currently has a 70hp on it but just about to be upgraded to 115hp.

Some of the specs that were added:

positive flotation

large front deck with 2x 7' lockable rod lockers, safety gear storage, batterage storage and large lockable tackl compartment.

Side console with gauges

rear casting deck with fully plumbed 3 way 90l livewell and 2 tackle compartments

Underfloor 70l fuel tank

other extras that have been added are front casting deck and helm sounders, GPS, leccy etc.

As I said there are so many thing you can do with older hulls. I am pretty soon going to buy a nice new rig (Skeeter ZX200???) but am looking for an older hull to deck out as well.

Ill see if i can add a couple of pics.

Hope it all comes together for you, looking forward to seeing the finished product

Mitch (ps. a couple of changes have been made since these pics, but it gives you an idea)

post-58-1216545076_thumb.jpg

post-58-1216545114_thumb.jpg

post-58-1216545173_thumb.jpg

Come on Andrew you know I couldn't do something like that, I like to stand out too much :1prop:

The down side of the bright colour is that I have had to change my breming style so they din't see me coming :1fishing1: the deck is completely flushed now with no recessed food pedal up the front

Should catch up on the water one day mate

Cheers,

Mitch

I'm down Lake Illawarra way, hence the new boat. The other boat won't fit under the bridge at Windang. Lake is fishing well now the entrance has been opened up.

Fitzy

Fitzy

When did they open up the front of the lake. haven't been down that way for about 5 years (since the old man from there to Narooma).

It was a very sensitive issue back in them days it is such a nice lake

Fitzy

When did they open up the front of the lake. haven't been down that way for about 5 years (since the old man from there to Narooma).

It was a very sensitive issue back in them days it is such a nice lake

Mitch,

Nice boat. Did think about going that way but as most of the lake I'm fishing has a 4 knot limit seemed a bit of over kill. Seems like the lake has only just recently been opened but more likely it's been well over a year. You can even access the ocean with two new breakwalls out to sea. Would have to pick your days. Saw waterways blasting out through there the other month. The Lake is clean again like in the old days. Is running well and fishing pretty well. Heard the prawn run wasn't to bad but expecting a better run this year after being open for a year. Which is good as I was away for most of this past season gone. If you haven't been down for about 5yrs you would be surprised at the changes.

Have you got your electric motor battery connected to charge from your motor or a stand alone battery that gets charged at the end of each session??

Fitzy

I run 2 deep cycle batteries for the leccy and another large batter for the main. A stand alone and also a Cranking battery. I have a 3 way switch so I can charge on the go and switch between batteries at will. Also have an onboard charger which makes charging at the end of the session simple as well.

What lake are you fishing??

Mitch

Fishing or drinking in the bourburn tourny????

Yep ill be there. Should be a pretty good turn out from what i hear. Are you going to get there??

Not sure who im fishing with as yet

Mitch

I would need a rum tournie to be drinking :1prop:

I would like to fish it but my boat doesnt make ABT rules

Let me know if your looking for a team mate

Thats going to be a mad rig mate!

Good luck with it and make sure you keep us all posted on your progress and the finished product.

Im am a patient person but not sure if i would be patient enough to endure a task like yours, i would like to know what it feels like to ride in a boat i made.

Maybe one day. :wacko:

Good Luck

Cam

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hey pegasus nice rebuild so far its been a good read, i've recently bought a 14ft cheapy and was going to do something similar to what you've done any tips or pointers for a first timer to a major rebuild like yours as it did come up a treat.

thanks radz

• 6 years later...
On 7/20/2008 at 7:13 PM, mitch said:

Nice work. Looking forward to the finidhed product. There is so much you can do with older ski hulls etc.

I have an old 4.5m pride hull that was converted to a bass boat.

Currently has a 70hp on it but just about to be upgraded to 115hp.

Some of the specs that were added:

positive flotation

large front deck with 2x 7' lockable rod lockers, safety gear storage, batterage storage and large lockable tackl compartment.

Side console with gauges

rear casting deck with fully plumbed 3 way 90l livewell and 2 tackle compartments

Underfloor 70l fuel tank

other extras that have been added are front casting deck and helm sounders, GPS, leccy etc.

As I said there are so many thing you can do with older hulls. I am pretty soon going to buy a nice new rig (Skeeter ZX200???) but am looking for an older hull to deck out as well.

Ill see if i can add a couple of pics.

Hope it all comes together for you, looking forward to seeing the finished product

Mitch (ps. a couple of changes have been made since these pics, but it gives you an idea)

post-58-1216545076_thumb.jpg

post-58-1216545114_thumb.jpg

post-58-1216545173_thumb.jpg

Any photos of you fishing out of this boat I’m looking at buying this boat it’s a pride aswell 15ft

23132F5B-DDBE-4E48-BD4D-406F8619F2FA.png